Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Pubic Hair's boys on a statewide deployment....I thought that wouldnt happen???

Forum Member

Thanks Pundit.

Appreciate the backup brother.

I don't really listen to those here that beleive that taking more care of us, utilizing risk v. benefit to reduce the risks we take in unsafe situations, Irrelevant to this conversation and frankly just another lie from you. The biggest difference is your line in the sand of risk vs benefit has you not responding to most calls. Mine has me going and determining what is am what isn't appropriate fireground strategy and tactics.

Funny thing is I do that on the volunteer side and occasionally on the career side. Is it something that gets me pumped? Not anymore. When possible I let a younger person take the role and I observe as I have a limited number of years left. They don't, and they need the experience.

Expanding the volunteer fire service to include those that may not be able to or wish to perform interior firefighting, I don't have any problem with having a community member doing office work, landscaping, and similar NON-fireground taks.

Ya, I know, if they can't do the whole job they don't belong on the fireground blah blah blahhh. I guess I would rather rather open the fireground up to exterior and limited duty firefighters and have 20 members, half of which can't go interior but can drive and pump apparatus and support interior operations in the hot zone rather than just 10 interior folks. Probably just me.

and not mandating irrelevant and inapplicable training that will destroy the ability of the volunteer fire service to recruit and retain enough personnel to safely operate will destroy the fabric of the American fire service. This sentence is just another example of the garbled nonsense you spew. If FF1 is so irrelevant and inapplicable then WHY does YOUR FD require it for promotion?

Alrfeady explained that .. broader scope of knowledge needed for decsion-making and leadership beyond the rank of firefighter, access to specialized training, etc etc etc. When you can tell me what is the real world hands-on value knowing how to make a standpipe or the types of alarm systems to a firefighter in a department that responds to none of those, we can discuss the merits of FFI for rookies. Wait ... we've done that before.

The fact is changing the way we do business will keep more of the brothers alive and make the fire service, especially the volunteer service, stronger and more viable in the future.

No, it won't. Frankly, your vision of a totally pussified outstanding fire service doesn't interest me in the least. Risk management is just that, not a complete surrender to the fact that you might get a boo boo if you actually do something at a fire scene.

Never stated we should surrender but we need to recognize that we are committing a lot of energy, and bl;ood, to the fights that we simply can't win. There is no dishonor in stepping back and saying "it's not worth it" and allowing buildings to burn, and yes, not attempting rescues where the chances and minimal and the risks to us are significant.

That's especially true where response times, training, experience, manpower and water supply are usually against us, in abondoned and vacant structursd and in lightweight and truss construction.

Once again. appreciate the backup.

He was probably actually standing in front of you...

Ya..... Right.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    Really? Because I for one, do not look forward to seeing bones broken, people burned, bodies trapped in machinery or, worse yet, firemen hurt and killed. That is what happens when we respond to a "new" challenge or a new fight. Every "challenge" and "new fight" that we look forward to is some other persons tragedy; sometimes it becomes our tragedy.

It drives me nuts when guys at work talk this way. I never wish for work. Bad things happen when we go to work. People are hurt, maimed, killed or have their lives changed forever. Does that mean that I am afraid to go to work? No, but you will never, ever see me wishing for work.

Feel free to paint these comments however you want to. However, to wish for a tragedy so you can do your thing is kind of sick, in my opinion.

Work happens, it always has and always will. When it comes my way, I have no problem performing my job to the best of my abilities and knowledge. I would just hate to have wished for a fire, and have it strike tragedy very close to home.
    I can't speak for LVFD301, but I believe I know what he means. I can't say no one doesn't wish for the action, but I don't think the majority does. Most don't wish for it to happen, but if it does happen they want it to happen on their watch so they can use their training and skills to work towards a positive outcome.
    LVFD301 and ATFDFF like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    Really? Because I for one, do not look forward to seeing bones broken, people burned, bodies trapped in machinery or, worse yet, firemen hurt and killed. That is what happens when we respond to a "new" challenge or a new fight. Every "challenge" and "new fight" that we look forward to is some other persons tragedy; sometimes it becomes our tragedy.

It drives me nuts when guys at work talk this way. I never wish for work. Bad things happen when we go to work. People are hurt, maimed, killed or have their lives changed forever. Does that mean that I am afraid to go to work? No, but you will never, ever see me wishing for work.

Feel free to paint these comments however you want to. However, to wish for a tragedy so you can do your thing is kind of sick, in my opinion.

Work happens, it always has and always will. When it comes my way, I have no problem performing my job to the best of my abilities and knowledge. I would just hate to have wished for a fire, and have it strike tragedy very close to home.
    Please. If my not wanting to go to a call would stop calls from going then I pray to God I never have to go to another call - ever. I don't look forward to peoples pain and suffering, but what I do look forward to is my chance to lessen that pain and suffering, by putting out a fire, by providing medical care, by delivering water during ice storms, bringing out the command bus, by whatever means I have to help mitigate that threat.

I don't "look" for work, but when it happens I attack it, yes ATTACK it, with all I can do, and I enjoy what I do.

Challenges as I have posted take many forms. Proper utilization of my people can be a challenge. Delivering bottled water to every resident in my district because they are on wells and power has been out for days. Ice over everything. Challenge.

My days (and I had them) of "wanting" a fire or a call ended back in the very early 80's. My days of wanting to be able to be an effective member of a team that will mitigate hazardous, life threatening, or loss of property situations has not ended yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Trust me.. IT would be a once in a lifetime.

From what we have been hearing from the crews most of the turf wars and serious communication/deployment problems that were supposedly taken care of by the plan that was developed post-Katrina have resurfaced in this event, and much of that plan has been shot to hell.

As an example, search and rescue was supposed to be the purvey of Wildlife and Fisheries supplying the boats and operators, and the fire service providing crews. The National Guard has assumed much of the search and rescue role, which is not part of the plan.

I have no desire to deal with the crap, miscommunication and deployment issues that the crews have been reporting back to us.
    As some one who just returned from the area I can tell you that your statement is false. But then again, I'm only going by first hand experience and not hearsay.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    As some one who just returned from the area I can tell you that your statement is false. But then again, I'm only going by first hand experience and not hearsay.
    That's according to the members that were deployed, as well as my dealings with the deployment process on this end.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.

That's according to the members that were deployed, as well as my dealings with the deployment process on this end.
    You and your members wouldnt know a properly run operation from a bad one if they clubbed you all over the head.
    LVFD301 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    And who decided you were allowed to bring facts into the thread?

Maybe with better supervision they would not have had the issues? Perhaps a reason to bring some of the "old dogs" on the deployment?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Maybe with better supervision they would not have had the issues? Perhaps a reason to bring some of the "old dogs" on the deployment?
    Actually the three Chief officers and one Captain had been on deployments before.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Actually the three Chief officers and one Captain had been on deployments before.
    Bite your tongue Don, bite your tongue. Take the high road, take the high road...Must resist the urge to comment, MUST RESIST THE URGE!!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

There is the problem. Way to many white lids in one group.
    Miller337 and BurninLuv like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You and your members wouldnt know a properly run operation from a bad one if they clubbed you all over the head.
    Are you his mother-in-law?

Thread Information