Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Pubic Hair's boys on a statewide deployment....I thought that wouldnt happen???

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default Pubic Hair's boys on a statewide deployment....I thought that wouldnt happen???

    Taken from the "New Firehouse" thread as I dont want to derail it any further than it already has been.....

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Our crews, along with personnel from 4 neighboring districts, went down last night. Once at the staging area, they were reassigned from station coverage/relief in Gretna to active rescue operations LaPlace, LA, just northwest of NO.]
    This is precisely why all crews need to meet a statewide (preferably a national) standard Firefighter I certification. But I am sure you will come up with some kind of an excuse not to have to meet it and fight this perfectly legitimate scenerio.

    And didnt you say once (when I questioned you about a statewide national disaster deployment) that "it was highly unlikely that we would respond to such an invitation" or some babble like that??
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,701

    Default

    Just as an aside....I don't know about the FF1 that you have taken....but I know that NJ's does not cover any type of water rescue in any way/shape/form. So, FF1 would make zero difference.

    And yes, we deal with water rescues during storm situations.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    ....But if you are going to be deployed doing "station coverage/relief", it sounds like you'd be manning a firehouse and running normal calls in addition to those storm related. Seems like a state wide FF1 cert would be useful then. Even if you are going to be doing technical rescue, having a statewide certification to make sure everyone is on the same page would be very useful.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    630

    Default

    The whole state us under siege and all you want to do is bust his chops.

    Stay classy.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    The whole state us under siege and all you want to do is bust his chops.

    Stay classy.
    Hey he's the one who consistently states that he feels that a state/national level Firefighter I is not necessary and even a hinderance....So when I pointed out a while back the fact that they could get called out for statewide disaster deployments, he stated "we probably would not respond." Besides, it appears that he is not on the deployment; so now is a perfect time to engage him in a discussion about why minimum state/national standards for all firefighters are important.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Dude, honestly, you've run it into the ground in poor Dave's new station thread. It doesn't need its own doppelganger thread.

    LaFire's philosophy has been discussed ad nauseam around here. We get it. Let's talk about something else.
    ATFDFF and RyanK63 like this.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    As posted on the station thread ....




    All career and volunteer members that have been deployed are FFI.

    6 of the 7 are FFII.

    4 of the 7 are Instructor I, and 3 are Instructor IIs.

    3 of the 7 are Officer I including the 2 Strike Team Leaders, per NIMS. And I is Officer II.

    4 are Driver/Operators.

    2 have some advanced technical rescue operations certifications.

    1 is a member of the USAR team with the full compliment of collpase, trench, confined space, high angle and water rescue certifications.

    We only deploy personnel that are FFI. We prefer FFII and all and always most of the time all the personnel we deploy have that certification as well.

    As far as statewide deployment I did state that most of the rural VFDs that were entailed in that discussion regarding madatory certification, such as my rural VFD, would never respond to a statewide deployment.

    As far as my career department, I never stated that as we have deployed to Katrina, Gustav, Ike and now Issac. As I have stated earlier (and many previous times), FFI is a requirement to be considered for deployment.


    It's really simple. To be deployed with my combo department you must have FFI. In most cases, you need FFII to get to go ior you will be bumped by somebody that has it.

    I find it amazing how much our little operation seems to cnocern you.

    Maybe you should find a hobby to take up some of that idle time.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-31-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    ATFDFF likes this.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    MemphisE34a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN - USA
    Posts
    2,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    As posted on the station thread ....




    All career and volunteer members that have been deployed are FFI.

    6 of the 7 are FFII.

    4 of the 7 are Instructor I, and 3 are Instructor IIs.

    3 of the 7 are Officer I including the 2 Strike Team Leaders, per NIMS. And I is Officer II.

    4 are Driver/Operators.

    2 have some advanced technical rescue operations certifications.

    1 is a member of the USAR team with the full compliment of collpase, trench, confined space, high angle and water rescue certifications.

    We only deploy personnel that are FFI. We prefer FFII and all and always most of the time all the personnel we deploy have that certification as well.

    As far as statewide deployment I did state that most of the rural VFDs that were entailed in that discussion regarding madatory certification, such as my rural VFD, would never respond to a statewide deployment.

    As far as my career department, I never stated that as we have deployed to Katrina, Gustav, Ike and now Issac. As I have stated earlier (and many previous times), FFI is a requirement to be considered for deployment.


    It's really simple. To be deployed with my combo department you must have FFI. In most cases, you need FFII to get to go ior you will be bumped by somebody that has it.

    I find it amazing how much our little operation seems to cnocern you.

    Maybe you should find a hobby to take up some of that idle time.
    Unfortunately, in one small part I agree with you - we ALL put way to much effort into you and you little operation.

    Outside of that and in regards to the topic, Have you ever heard that the speed of the leader is the speed of the pack? All of the certs in the world don't make a hill of beans worth of difference with a blasé attitude towards the main issue - putting other peoples lives and property above yourself.

    No matter what you ever say or do, you have made enough comments on this forum that no one will ever respect you. If you had the nuts to identify yourself, I doubt anyone in the State would want to be deployed with you.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

    Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

    "Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.


    Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Unfortunately, in one small part I agree with you - we ALL put way to much effort into you and you little operation.

    Outside of that and in regards to the topic, Have you ever heard that the speed of the leader is the speed of the pack? All of the certs in the world don't make a hill of beans worth of difference with a blasé attitude towards the main issue - putting other peoples lives and property above yourself.

    No matter what you ever say or do, you have made enough comments on this forum that no one will ever respect you. If you had the nuts to identify yourself, I doubt anyone in the State would want to be deployed with you.
    At 52, I don't need to and don't deploy. That's why we have young Captains and young firefighters. They need the experience of operating in those situations as when another hurricane hits in 5 years, they will already have the experience to deploy again.

    Simply put I have too many daily public education and admin responsibilties here to be out of the office more than a few days, except for scheduled training trips like FDIC or the NFA. I like sleeping in my own bed and eating real chow from my kitchen, and have no desire to deploy anywhere at anytime.

    This was simply a response to FWD's post which implied that the folks we sent down outh were not qualified and did not have the proper certifications. Obviously that wasn't the case.

    As far as your other comments, I have no issues here, and honestly, most folks that know me have no issues.

    I have no issues telling anyone that my main job is come home very single night.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    As posted on the station thread ....


    [COLOR="#FF0000"]

    All career and volunteer members that have been deployed are FFI.


    We only deploy personnel that are FFI. We prefer FFII and all and always most of the time all the personnel we deploy have that certification as well.



    I don't read much on here, not often, and rarely post, but even I remembered this after reading the first post of this thread...



    Let's find something real to bitch about and change, like the horrible misuse of money and many OVER funded departments that don't need the massive amount of money they are given. Take the amount of money we waste on useless training, rework the training programs and structure of state offered academies, and their is no problem at all funding useful, relevant, free, flexible classes that meet the time frame and financial needs of all departments. As that is being developed than develop the mandatory standards, you can't develop the standards first and than fix the problem later...

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    A white sport coat, and a pink carnation. I will be ready for the dance with no certification required!

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    157

    Default ?

    I'm not sure i understand this correctly, but it does say

    PUBIC HAIR in the title?

    Maybe i'm missing something or just don't care, but what's the deal with a boy's pubic hair doing on a fire house thread?

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleHut View Post
    I'm not sure i understand this correctly, but it does say

    PUBIC HAIR in the title?

    Maybe i'm missing something or just don't care, but what's the deal with a boy's pubic hair doing on a fire house thread?
    At one time LA was to lazy to type 'public education' and would type 'PUBED'. So yes you are missing something.
    Chenzo likes this.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    This was simply a response to FWD's post which implied that the folks we sent down outh were not qualified and did not have the proper certifications. Obviously that wasn't the case.
    You need some refresher "Reading for comprehension" classes because that is not what I said nor implied.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,280

    Default

    Heck at 53 if my FD was asking for volunteers to deploy down to assist during Isaac I would be first inline. It would be a new experience, a new challenge, and most assuredly for me a once in a life time opportunity.

    So HELL yeah I would go!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Trust me.. IT would be a once in a lifetime.

    From what we have been hearing from the crews most of the turf wars and serious communication/deployment problems that were supposedly taken care of by the plan that was developed post-Katrina have resurfaced in this event, and much of that plan has been shot to hell.

    As an example, search and rescue was supposed to be the purvey of Wildlife and Fisheries supplying the boats and operators, and the fire service providing crews. The National Guard has assumed much of the search and rescue role, which is not part of the plan.

    I have no desire to deal with the crap, miscommunication and deployment issues that the crews have been reporting back to us.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-31-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You need some refresher "Reading for comprehension" classes because that is not what I said nor implied.
    So what was your point?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Heck at 53 if my FD was asking for volunteers to deploy down to assist during Isaac I would be first inline. It would be a new experience, a new challenge, and most assuredly for me a once in a life time opportunity.

    So HELL yeah I would go!!
    When we quit taking on new adventures, new chances to learn, I believe that is when they assign us to public education.

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Trust me.. IT would be a once in a lifetime.

    From what we have been hearing from the crews most of the turf wars and serious communication/deployment problems that were supposedly taken care of by the plan that was developed post-Katrina have resurfaced in this event, and much of that plan has been shot to hell.

    As an example, search and rescue was supposed to be the purvey of Wildlife and Fisheries supplying the boats and operators, and the fire service providing crews. The National Guard has assumed much of the search and rescue role, which is not part of the plan.

    I have no desire to deal with the crap, miscommunication and deployment issues that the crews have been reporting back to us.
    And here is why you should go - so you can learn how to handle those situations that come up at every major deployment.

    Of course, you probably did not make the basic requirements to be allowed to go.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    And here is why you should go - so you can learn how to handle those situations that come up at every major deployment.

    Of course, you probably did not make the basic requirements to be allowed to go.
    Actually I did, but it made no sense to send me when there were younger folks that needed the experience, especially given that my home region had the possibility some pretty significant weather out of this system.

    I'm likely going to stop any active firefighting, including at my VFD, within the next 2-3 years. Sending somebody who is likely not to see another major hurricane v. young kids who will likely see at least 2-3 more makes no sense from a training and experience perspective.

    As far as adventures, I've had enough of sleeping (or trying to sleep) in the truck or on a fire station couch, working 12-hour (or more) shifts, going 2 or 3 days without a shower and eating cold food at other disasters. It's the kids turn to have those kind of adventures.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Actually I did, but it made no sense to send me when there were younger folks that needed the experience, especially given that my home region had the possibility some pretty significant weather out of this system.

    I'm likely going to stop any active firefighting, including at my VFD, within the next 2-3 years. Sending somebody who is likely not to see another major hurricane v. young kids who will likely see at least 2-3 more makes no sense from a training and experience perspective.

    As far as adventures, I've had enough of sleeping (or trying to sleep) in the truck or on a fire station couch, working 12-hour (or more) shifts, going 2 or 3 days without a shower and eating cold food at other disasters. It's the kids turn to have those kind of adventures.
    Why not do your FD's and the rest of the fire service a favor and quit now?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,701

    Default

    because then a few of you would have nothing to post on these forums about.
    BurninLuv likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Why not do your FD's and the rest of the fire service a favor and quit now?
    Didn't he already quit?
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Trust me.. IT would be a once in a lifetime.

    From what we have been hearing from the crews most of the turf wars and serious communication/deployment problems that were supposedly taken care of by the plan that was developed post-Katrina have resurfaced in this event, and much of that plan has been shot to hell.

    As an example, search and rescue was supposed to be the purvey of Wildlife and Fisheries supplying the boats and operators, and the fire service providing crews. The National Guard has assumed much of the search and rescue role, which is not part of the plan.

    I have no desire to deal with the crap, miscommunication and deployment issues that the crews have been reporting back to us.
    Look our makeup is totaly different. I am still eager for new experiences and I am fully aware that this, like any other major incident with crews from all over being deployed, is generally closer to a cluster than a well oiled machine.

    The only major deployment I have been on was a one day forest fire that involved fire departments from 4 counties and burned areas in 2 counties. I am nearer the end of my career than the beginning and I would find this an opportunity of my career that I couldn't pass up. I know full well the hardships that go with this type of deployment, but that would not stop my desire to go.

    I don't expect you to understand, but then again I don't really care if you do. I have not retired while on the payroll to a desk and dodging dangerous duty. I am still fully here and looking for the challenges of my career, not avoiding them.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Why not do your FD's and the rest of the fire service a favor and quit now?
    Because neither one of them want me to, though I have very much started to wind down fireground activities in my career gig. Hopefully within a year or two there will be no need for me to respond out of the office for any type of incident.

    Once we start to develop a few of the kids on my VFD, that will begin to happen as well. Hopefully within 2-3 ears, at the most, I will be on a position there as well when I can step off the line and simply perform training, pubed and large event command functions.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Testing Statewide
    By okeefer99 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 01:32 AM
  2. Testing Statewide
    By okeefer99 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 01:32 AM
  3. Statewide organizations?
    By ApuFromSpfld in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
  4. wouldnt it be smart....
    By nnjfire in forum Hurricane Katrina & Rita Forums
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 07:14 PM
  5. Wouldnt it be cool if...
    By CALFFBOU in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register