Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Heros Xt Helmet v. Paul Conway and other traditional helmets

Here is the situation, our dept. is looking at new helmets to purchase. Right now we have a Cairns 1044, Paul Conway classic, and the third one some guys want to try out is the Rosenbauer Heros Xt. Some guys think it would be cool to be the first dept. in the area to try the Xt. I have heard they are comfortable, but I feel the negatives out weigh that comfort factor. First off the Paul Conway classic may be the most comfortable helmet I have tried on. I think it would be right there comfort wise with the Xt even though I have not tried the Xt yet. Also the Xt. is a helmet designed on the principles of European style firefighting. I do not believe being the guinee pig for these helmets is a good idea since we would be stuck with them for 10 to 15 years. Another issue it the versatility of the helmet. With the xt you have to pay $100 for the only flashlight that will fit the helmet and that is from the manufacturer. Also the direction the flashlight points can also cause problems. Also there is a reason there is a bill on the back of helmets. Many reviews say the Xt does allow for water and other debris to get down your neck which I am not a fan of. Lastly I have to be honest because we all think it, the Xt looks dumb. I take pride in wearing the traditional helmet and being proud of American firefighting tradition. That is not to say that if the Xt. was a proven safer and far better helmet that I would not wear it I think we all strive for the best equipment, but when there really is no difference except for comfort is that really a great reason. Just looking for some input...fire away!

Forum Member

I've tried one on a few times, I must say it's very comfortable and lightweight. I can't see the light being of much use, though.

Just one quick note (and please correct me if I'm wrong), doesn't it interface with SCBAs differently than "regular" US helmets? I thought it required a facepiece that connected with the helmet, like most European helmets? If so, that's another huge additional cost to retrofit all your facepieces as well as re-training your department on donning/doffing procedures.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input. You bring up a good point. What we have seen and been told is that the Rosenbauer model does not need a special scba facepiece. The normal scott, msa, ect. will work with these helmets. I am glad you brought up the light because it just seems like it would not be much use like you said and for $100 thats disappointing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WJ2314 View Post
    Thanks for the input. You bring up a good point. What we have seen and been told is that the Rosenbauer model does not need a special scba facepiece. The normal scott, msa, ect. will work with these helmets. I am glad you brought up the light because it just seems like it would not be much use like you said and for $100 thats disappointing.
    Ahh ok, I see. Thanks for the info! Any way to contact a dealer and ask for a demo...maybe 2 or 3 of the helmet and get reviews from your guys?

Hope you guys are able to come to a good decision.

Thread Information