MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chief Edward F. Croker statement

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a firefighter" I'm sure we all know the rest. I recall a documentary made i think in the 70's or 80's, where this was read at the end of the documentary. It was like on A&E or History Channel. I've been looking for quite awhile with no luck, any help would be appreciated.
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

Forum Member

Are you sure it was not the documentary about FDNY titled "Brothers in Battle?" A shortened, bastardized version of Chief Croker's quote was played at the beginning of the show.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice.”

“Firemen are going to get killed. When they join the department they face that fact. When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of work. They were not thinking of getting killed when they went where death lurked. They went there to put the fire out, and got killed. Firefighters do not regard themselves as heroes because they do what the business requires.”
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I dont know what happened when I posted my first reply to this thread, I swore I posted the real, full-length version of Chief Croker's famoud quote.

This is the "shortened, bastardized version." I dont know why, but it ****es me off; like the visual (or verbal if spoken) equalivalent of running your fingernails across a blackboard. Maybe because Chief Croker was such an eloquent speaker, or maybe to someone who knows the full quote, the shortened version is "bastardized." lol

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    [SIZE=4]"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice.”
    HERE is the full-length version:

“I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. There is an adage which says that, "Nothing can be destroyed except by fire." We strive to preserve from destruction the wealth of the world which is the product of the industry of men, necessary for the comfort of both the rich and the poor. We are defenders from fires of the art which has beautified the world, the product of the genius of men and the means of refinement of mankind. But, above all; our proudest endeavor is to save lives of men-the work of God Himself. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even at the supreme sacrifice. Such considerations may not strike the average mind, but they are sufficient to fill to the limit our ambition in life and to make us serve the general purpose of human society.” -Edward F. Croker, Chief of Department, F.D.N.Y. 1899-1911
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information