Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HeightsFF

Thread: Canadian vs. American fire college - Help/ Advice

Forum Member

Default Canadian vs. American fire college - Help/ Advice

Hey, there. I'm a 19 year old male from Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I'm looking to become a full-time firefighter. I recently graduated high school and I'm now looking to take a pre-service firefighting program, however, I'm having a bit of difficulty deciding the route in which should take to get there.

Obviously as the title of my post states, I'm trying to find out which is a better choice? American or Canadian fire colleges? I have been accepted to a couple here in Ontario but I have also been accepted to SAUTech in Arkansas for their recruit firefighter training course. The Canadian course runs 10 months straight through starting in January. The American course also starts in January, though I'm not sure how long it runs (I know it's significantly shorter though).

I pose the question for a number of reasons. Mainly, given that the cost of the American course is less expensive, I'm leaning more towards that, but I worry that there may be something I'm missing out on by not going to a Canadian school. What I mean by this is, I know for a fact that the American course runs a lot shorter than the Canadian one. I assume there must be something I'm missing out on.

If I could get some clarification, or any advice on routes to take, it would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

I have heard there are only few schools in Canada , and they cost a lot???

This school I know for sure has had numerous Canadians go through it, and even with the plane ticket, it is cheaper and faster

Give them a call and they would be glad to answer any questions::::

http://www.trainingdivision.com/fire...ghter-academy/

And no I do not work for them

Forum Member

There are quite a few offered by local colleges in my province, and yes, they're unreasonably high. Around $14,500, roughly for the ten month program. Not to mention my room and board for the year.

Again, this is why I'm leaning more towards an American program, given it offers what I need.

Forum Member

The bottom line is what school will give you the certifications you you need to work in the area/departments that you wish to work in.

I Know that there are a lot of Canadians that attend Kilgore College in nearby (well, 75 miles away) Kilgore, TX.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

The fire academy at Camden Ar /SAU tech -is a 6 week rooky school . it is IFSAC certifed. You are divided up int ABC shifts and do some night time responses.(you stay in dorm) the lead administrator/instructor Rachel Nix is still somewhat old school. You will be FF2 when you pass.
    http://www.sautech.edu/afta/
    ?

Forum Member

I'm still fairly ignorant on the subject. I'm looking to become NFPA 1001 firefighter 1&2 certified. Is IFSAC recognized as the same thing or is a completely separate set of certifications?
    Last edited by WRB61; 09-05-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Forum Member

The first thing you need to do is make sure whatever certifications and training you do will be recognized in Canada. Then compare the class outlines to make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

US schools probably take less time because they don't have to explain everything in English AND French. lol

Forum Member

if you give them a call they will answer any question you have::::

http://www.trainingdivision.com/fire...ghter-academy/

Forum Member

There are usually 3 or 4 Canadian students in the rooky school- call Arkansas fire academy and talk to them directly
    ?

Forum Member

?

Forum Member

If your not garunteed a job after I wouldn't waste my time w/ fire college. Get a degree in something you can fall back on in case you do not get a career as a FF. I have 3 degrees in fire science and Im a FF. I wipe my *** w/ my degrees everyday. Their only good for the credits and a bit of knowledge. They do not help you get a FF job in most cases. let me know if you got any more questions
    ATFDFF likes this.

Forum Member

Default Interior Alaska

Some cool opportunities to go to school for firefighting in Alaska, specifically UAF. Many local departments have live-in programs which would both reduce cost and give you some much needed experience. PM me if you want more info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeightsFF View Post
    If your not garunteed a job after I wouldn't waste my time w/ fire college. Get a degree in something you can fall back on in case you do not get a career as a FF. I have 3 degrees in fire science and Im a FF. I wipe my *** w/ my degrees everyday. Their only good for the credits and a bit of knowledge. They do not help you get a FF job in most cases. let me know if you got any more questions
    I have to disagree on you on this. I possess a 2 year fire degree. That degree was hard to obtain and it really has opened alot of doors for me.

After you retire (or become disabled due to a workplace injury), that degree may help you obtain a position as a salesman selling firefighting equipment, 911 dispatcher, insurance adjustor or other related fire positions.

Maybe those fire degrees may not mean much in your current career track, but there are other fire careers where those degrees will be helpful for employment.

Forum Member

Well being that I went to one of the Canadian schools I will say this....what department(s) are you looking at trying for? Once you have that in mind, go to their websites, or call their recruiting officer and find out the requirements they require for getting hired. Being that you are only 19 years old, you have plenty of time to gather some work experience/life experience/volunteer etc... and educational experience to show that you want to become a firefighter. And I whole heartedly agree with having something to fall back on... find a trade (which always helps in the fire service). If you get injured to the point that you can't ride the rigs....then what? Something else to think about. There are lots of schools out there ....do your homework, figure out where you want to work, where to get the best education (and yes it is expensive but look at the end result) make a plan on how you are going to get there and then do it. Firefighting is a profession/a career/your life it isn't just a job.

Just my two cents...take it however you like

MembersZone Subscriber

At least you already know how to speak Canadian.

Forum Member

The reason the pre-service courses are so long, is because they are all through a community college that is partly provincially funded... Translation: Lot's of extra non fire bs that amounts to teacher job justification and more funding to the school.

You have options, as you have found: Outside Canada, Arkansas and TD are some of the more popular choices. Inside Canada, FESTI (Toronto Airport), JIBC, Fire ETC, and MESC are shorter and more affordable choices.

Third option is to join a volunteer/POC Department and get your training that way. Complete the sign off's and write the OFM tests.

All of the above is accredited by PROBARD, IFSAC or both, and will get you you're 1001's.

There are two Dept's in Ontario that will NOT accept TD: London and Barrie.

As for the comments that having a fire education is a waste: 95% of full time departments in Onterrible require pre-service/1001's, a dz license, and first aid/ HCP level CPR as MINIMUM qualifications to even apply.

Thread Information