Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 2012 1199's

MembersZone Subscriber

Found an Update 1199A for another department....looks like SCBA & cascade system for them.
    Last edited by onebugle; 03-08-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Forum Member

Found 3 more Ops that posted after 2pm CST, almost a $2.5mil day of 1199As. SCBA, Wildland PPE & Equipment, and PPE with TIC on top of the trucks.

Forum Member

Just found 1199A for Tanker. Came in late last night. Thank the Lord. For all the nay sayers that say only big departments get the grants, this department had 10 structure fires, and only 48 calls total covering a total of 12sq. miles
    Jeff
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Forum Member

I can see where a person needs help writing these grants. Our fire department has never applied for one of these grants before. So we decided to put together an application last minute last year. I wish I would have found this site way before we decided to do that. We applied for all new SCBA and new bunker gear for those who are wearing 20 year old gear, about half the department. After what I have learned from this site it looks like we will be getting the grant as we had to fill out an 1199A. Now that we have gotten that, we have more questions that we really don't know the answers too. Where would a person be able to turn for help on what to do next. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Ask away; we'll be glad to help you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am getting

Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): SSL protocol error.

when I try to get on the portal. I can get on other SSL pages with no problems. Anyone else seeing this?

Forum Member

Don't even get that now.

Congrats on the tanker Jeff, that makes a double up right?

MembersZone Subscriber

I must have broken it as they add another award to me.

Just checked again, back up now.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 03-11-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Forum Member

New Update posted for training grant, no email so definitely popped up today. Time to do the rest of the list.

Forum Member

Yes, they are some happy people in TN. Jeff

Forum Member

Brian4571 They are alot of people that will help you. What is your question?
    Jeff

Forum Member

The biggest question I have is that we were wondering if we change the brand of PPE we get or if we have to stick to the exact bid we got. We want to go with higher priced gear and we are willing to pay the difference. We just did not know if we could. Also from what I have read if is that if you get an update 1199A you are going to be getting the grant. Is there ever a chance that is not true. We received that but I do not want to let any of the guys know about it till I am sure we are going to get funding. Like I said this is the first grant application we have done since I have been on the department. Also I would like to thank everyone for the effort they put forth in helping others on this site.

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as the 1199A update goes, yes it has happened in the past that one was updated and then not funded. It is rare, so I would not say anything to anyone until you have an award letter. Plan the party, don't send the invitations yet.

Forum Member

Also nothing counts until the day you're awarded as far as pricing goes. Everything must be dated on that day or later, even if it's just an email or letter stating that the previously quoted price is still good.

Prior to the award date you can do evaluations, as long as they document who evaluated the PPE (ensuring they have no connections in the sales process), what brands/manufacturers were present, and the scoring metric to show how the gear was evaluated, and what other factors are involved. You are not held by DHS regulations to low price, but you have to have reasons why you didn't go low bid. Reputation of company, service locations, and whatnot are all factors you can include in your evaluation. This can be done before or after award, so if done before award you can do a bid for a single brand or vendor. Or you can get multiple bids and then choose the one the evaluation points to.

Forum Member

Congrats to those who have been awarded, and most of us are still waiting on the news good or bad. I am needing to get a few more pointers from yall that have received the SCBA awards. How old were the units that you are replacing ? Were your main justifications in regard to interoperability or just old equipment that has to be replaced ? It seems we are about halfway through the 2012 program and I will need to get started on the 2013 request.
    Stay safe.

Forum Member

New one today for very elusive oxygen generators and power stretchers for FD EMS. (My station!!!)
    onebugle and sandy3810_ like this.

Forum Member

Dear John's are out - Got one on a tanker 15 min ago. Showed up on personal email nothing on the website.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DJ's

Just received a DJ for vehicle application, that did not make it past the computer scoring. The DJ's are on the way.

Forum Member

Computer DJ's are on the portal for vehicles and equipment - got both.

Forum Member

Well one of my grants made it to peer, and one got a DJ. What I dont understand about the DJ is that it says the reason is: Your organization’s response to application questions concerning the safety factors associated with the current
    fleet vehicle you are seeking to replace did not adequately align to the higher AFG Program priorities and
    consequently, did not score high enough for further consideration. Please see FY2012 AFG FOA, Page 49
    Additional Considerations:
    o Replacement of open cab/jump seat configurations
    o Converted vehicles not designed or intended for use in the fire service

In response to this on the grant application the following question is asked. *11. Does the vehicle you are replacing have an open cab configuration? My answer is YES. I also state that I will remove this substandard vehicle from service.
    The DJ also says Your organization’s response to application questions concerning the age of non-ambulance fleet vehicles you
    are seeking to replace did not adequately align to the higher AFG Program priorities and consequently, did not
    score high enough for further consideration.
    Please see FY2012 AFG FOA, Page 49
    Additional Considerations
    o Age of the vehicle being replaced; older equipment receive higher consideration

In response to this I answered the following questions on AFG application:
    *4. What is the age of the vehicle being replaced? More than 30 years
    5. What is the newest (age) vehicle you currently own in the class you are purchasing? More than 30 years
    *6. How old is the oldest (age) vehicle you own in the class you are purchasing? More than 30 years
    7. What is the average age of all vehicles in your fleet? More than 30 years

Both the trucks in our department are old. One is 35 years old and 1 36 years old. They are both open cab. Each year we cannot make it past the computer scoring. Looking at the reasons listed in our turn down letter, it seems all the questions were answered. This is 3 years in a row we cannot make it past the computer. I just dont understand.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by madfirelieutenant View Post
    Well one of my grants made it to peer, and one got a DJ. What I dont understand about the DJ is that it says the reason is: Your organizationís response to application questions concerning the safety factors associated with the current
    fleet vehicle you are seeking to replace did not adequately align to the higher AFG Program priorities and
    consequently, did not score high enough for further consideration. Please see FY2012 AFG FOA, Page 49
    Additional Considerations:
    o Replacement of open cab/jump seat configurations
    o Converted vehicles not designed or intended for use in the fire service

In response to this on the grant application the following question is asked. *11. Does the vehicle you are replacing have an open cab configuration? My answer is YES. I also state that I will remove this substandard vehicle from service.
    The DJ also says Your organizationís response to application questions concerning the age of non-ambulance fleet vehicles you
    are seeking to replace did not adequately align to the higher AFG Program priorities and consequently, did not
    score high enough for further consideration.
    Please see FY2012 AFG FOA, Page 49
    Additional Considerations
    o Age of the vehicle being replaced; older equipment receive higher consideration

In response to this I answered the following questions on AFG application:
    *4. What is the age of the vehicle being replaced? More than 30 years
    5. What is the newest (age) vehicle you currently own in the class you are purchasing? More than 30 years
    *6. How old is the oldest (age) vehicle you own in the class you are purchasing? More than 30 years
    7. What is the average age of all vehicles in your fleet? More than 30 years

Both the trucks in our department are old. One is 35 years old and 1 36 years old. They are both open cab. Each year we cannot make it past the computer scoring. Looking at the reasons listed in our turn down letter, it seems all the questions were answered. This is 3 years in a row we cannot make it past the computer. I just dont understand.

It is a form letter they all read the same.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

got a new reference # on my 1199 for radios yesterday.

Forum Member

This morning I read through this entire thread to look for some info. I found where you have to register through SAM before you can get an award letter. So i registered this morning. I also recieved the request to update an 1199 the other day and filled out the info and faxed it to the location requested. Any idea how long it takes to hear back on the 1199 I sent in to make sure it is updated. Also any thoughts on how long not being registered for SAM may delay an official award letter. I am hoping we get one based on receiving the 1199.

Forum Member

You'll usually receive an e-mail indicating that your 1199A has been accepted in the system. Sometimes, if you simply go into the portal and View 1199A, if the PRINT button has disappeared, the system has accepted the changes.

It can take anywhere from 2-10 weeks for an award depending upon if your SAM/DUNS/1199A information is current and matching.

Forum Member

Word still is that SAM registrations are holding things up. Everyone should make sure theirs is Active, otherwise it will delay things. If you haven't registered, check www.dnb.com and do a search on your DUNS to see exactly how they have your name and address. Several of our folks had blank addresses, which meant nothing matched. That's a phone call to fix, and a couple of days for it to hit their database so SAM can link to it. Had a couple with incorrect EINs also, but otherwise it's a pretty simple process.

Thread Information