Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 2012 1199's

Forum Member

Getting nervous here as well, put in for a new commercial chassis engine/pumper keeping fingers crossed that we ACTUALLY get lucky this time around, haven't received a grant since 05 (PPE/SCBA)...

Forum Member

I feel your pain hvfd, we are in the same boat, however we have never received an award. We have applied every year since the grant started, wrote our own grants, hired them written, had volunteers from grant writing services and the list goes on. I wrote the grant this year, and we haven't got a dear john from the computer round, which is better than in years past. We applied for turnouts, which we are in desperate need of (our newest series is 12 years old, with the oldest being over 16 years old) and a few SCBA masks, as well as a TIC. I have high hopes this year since i spent a lot of time writing, reviewing, and re-writing the grant. I cant say the same for my brothers on the department and the command staff, they have essentially told me I am on my own for the grant because they have all given up hope we will get an award. Here's to hoping this is our year!!

Forum Member

FWFD, wish you the best of luck! If your highest priority is that PPE, you may wish to forgo a "few SCBA" masks. You don't want the protection of your firefighters to be compromised by "throwing in" a few extra masks. While not the hardfast rule, the most successful applications that have been focused on a single project.

If you would like someone to take a look at your previous applications, myself or a number of successful writers here would most likely be happy to help you try to figure out what's going wrong.

I hope you can finally receive your first award!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWFD122 View Post
    and we haven't got a dear john from the computer round, which is better than in years past.
    Has there been CDJs?

Forum Member

Not yet...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Has there been CDJs?
    Way too early for CDJ's to drop. Tomorrow will only be Round 3 for AFG awards with a minimal amount awards to boot so far.

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks quit hitting the panic button so soon! Tomorrow will only be Round 3 of the 2012 AFG awards and, counting those awards, there will only have been approx 61 awards made since September. There will be around 1700-1800 award made so that means we have a long, long way to go here before people should start getting worried. I mean they have not even released the computer rejection notices yet.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

OK, Need to get a clarification from some of the experts. We have put in for SCBA units2 yrs in a row now. We have units that are 2 versions of NFPA back and have no interoperability with our neighboring depts being on the edge of Dallas County. There are comments of 1199s going to previous applications of which the previous 4 yrs apps were done by personnel who are no longer with our dept. Is there a possiblility that a update 1199 would appear there ? How would we find out ? If we do not get them this year we will have to start buying a few each year which is a training officers nightmare. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Also do any of yall get down to Texas with "How To Write Successful Grants" ? We were awarded handhelds and mobiles back in 2003 on a grant I wrote but nothing since. I attended NFA in Emmitsburg a several yrs straight and thought I had picked up a few pointers attending sessions up there among the peer reviewers and FEMA guys, but I must have lost the details when we adjorned to Ott's. LOL.
    Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pyromedic802 View Post
    OK, Need to get a clarification from some of the experts. We have put in for SCBA units2 yrs in a row now. We have units that are 2 versions of NFPA back and have no interoperability with our neighboring depts being on the edge of Dallas County. There are comments of 1199s going to previous applications of which the previous 4 yrs apps were done by personnel who are no longer with our dept. Is there a possiblility that a update 1199 would appear there ? How would we find out ? If we do not get them this year we will have to start buying a few each year which is a training officers nightmare. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Also do any of yall get down to Texas with "How To Write Successful Grants" ? We were awarded handhelds and mobiles back in 2003 on a grant I wrote but nothing since. I attended NFA in Emmitsburg a several yrs straight and thought I had picked up a few pointers attending sessions up there among the peer reviewers and FEMA guys, but I must have lost the details when we adjorned to Ott's. LOL.
    Stay safe.
    Call me at 863-551-9598 before 5:00PM EST and I'll walk you through the process. Didn't get invited to Texas this year, big surprise as I usually have 2-3 classes there. Closest I will be to you is in Phoenix at end of January.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Thanks for the input! The reason for the SCBA masks is we were finally able to pick up a few newer but still used Scott 2.2 packs this year to replace our antique fleet of Scott 1A's (dont laugh too hard). After the purchase of the packs we didnt have enough money left over to buy new masks to go along with them, so we were stuck with some ill fitting and partially wore out masks that came with them. Myself and a couple others bought our own facepieces just so we could make sure to have a good fit. We have a really tough row to hoe you could say with our old timers....they like to stick with the old way of, its always worked in the past, why replace it if it isnt broke...

Forum Member

Your 1199A would go under the current login that the application was filed under, not the old one. As far as the system goes each username is a different organization so once you create a new one the old stuff is all exactly that, old stuff.

Forum Member

Thanks. BC.
    Stay safe.

Forum Member

Appreciate the rapid reply and phone conversation KTB great information for me to pre[are for next year.
    Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Start clicking again; found two new ones today that were not there yesterday afternoon at 4:30PM. Still have not seen but 1- 1199a for a vehicle so far.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Why do you think there are so few vehicle 1199s and not one vehicle award so far?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medstudent13 View Post
    Why do you think there are so few vehicle 1199s and not one vehicle award so far?
    Not sure, Its a waiting game. They will happen too, patience.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Mainly has to do with big money; same reason not alot of Regionals popping.

They still have to finish reviewing the paper apps and score them (next week) and then put them in the mix. If they start awarding large money now, it would be possible that the paper apps would fall out of funding rank.

MembersZone Subscriber

Computer DJs...

Called my Regional Office about an emergency purchase and how to word my e-mail to the Help Desk. E-mail back from Regional, "Your 2012 AFG application matter is not going to be an issue (sorry), since the application did not score well enough to make it to panels."

Why wait to send them out when AFG has the list? And this was from 11-20-2012.
    Last edited by Casco18; 12-10-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Update
    "There's no such thing as a bad day,
    Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Casco18 View Post
    Computer DJs...

Called my Regional Office about an emergency purchase and how to word my e-mail to the Help Desk. E-mail back from Regional, "Your 2012 AFG application matter is not going to be an issue (sorry), since the application did not score well enough to make it to panels."

Why wait to send them out when AFG has the list? And this was from 11-20-2012.
    Always been that way. They won't let the bad news out till they have a substantial bit of good news out there first.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Casco 18, Sorry for your bad news. Out of curiosity what were you asking for in your application, if you don't mind telling us?
    BB

Forum Member

Casco, they probably only told you to avoid having you go through the amendment and emergency purchase process since they knew it was for naught anyway. It's been done before by other reps.

My edjumicated guess on why the CDJ's aren't released is that it doesn't really matter when they are. If there was a question of waiting for the grant and diving in to buy something now instead of when they come out 2 months from now, what's the financial reasoning behind the application? How valid can it truly be if 6 months ago the app says no chance of purchase, and now there's a chance if you only knew the result of the app. If it's true need, then it's going to be a resubmit for 2013 if not funded so no real need to know sooner than later.

Mainly just playing general Devil's Advocate of course, we have several in odd binds that will go to extreme measures such as creating a bond vote for the residents or something because they have no water supply truck at all and can't push the envelope another year. Or are without PPE, and other extreme cases.

choffd

Just a quick question since I was out of the grant loop during my retirement. We received an 1199 for new breathing air compressor and, in my former life with the other department, would then anticipate a set of questions to soon follow. Have not seen that this time. Is there a change in the process? Thanks for any info you can provide.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ltoffd View Post
    Just a quick question since I was out of the grant loop during my retirement. We received an 1199 for new breathing air compressor and, in my former life with the other department, would then anticipate a set of questions to soon follow. Have not seen that this time. Is there a change in the process? Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Yes they will come with award notification letter.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

BB3939,

FF 1, FF 2, HazMat Ops, and Driver Training. Cost per population / run, was probably to high.

Emergency purchase; Local School Adult Ed Program is sponsoring a FF 1 and 2 class. School serves 4 towns and found funding through the bigger school budget.
    Last edited by Casco18; 12-11-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    "There's no such thing as a bad day,
    Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

Forum Member

Basic level training app not making it into Peer? That doesn't seem to make much sense. Even the Tech Rescue/HazMat Tech ones we've done have made Peer the last 2 years. Obviously don't know about this year yet but still can't see why a FF1/2 app wouldn't make Peer. Only way I can think of is if it was marked that you're already at 100% FF1/2 which means training funds aren't needed. If you didn't, then 'tis a bit baffling I must say, but they did cut a chunk of money out of the program coming into 2012 so the stats be changing...

Thread Information