09-04-2012, 10:13 PM #1
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Getting on With Colorado Springs Fire Department With Only Minimum Reqs Met
I've done a Google search and browsed the posts on this site, but have been unable to find an answer to my questions.
I am interested in joining the Colorado Springs Fire Department (CSFD). While I meet all of the minimum requirements, I do not have any EMS or firefighting experience. I also do not have any certifications in these areas. I have bachelor's degree, but it is an unrelated area.
My questions are:
**Does someone in this situation have a chance of being hired onto this department?
**Does anyone know someone who was in a similar situation that went through the testing/application process and was hired?
I know that CSFD is a large department which receives thousands of applications for few vacancies. I am asking because their website shows they could be opening up the application process in Spring of 2013.
If these questions have already been answered in another thread or if this is posted in the wrong place, please let me know.
Thank you in advance for your help and taking the time to read my post.
09-04-2012, 11:56 PM #2
- Join Date
- Aug 2012
I will try to answer all of your questions. Colorado Springs Fire Department uses the Fire Team test as their screening tool in hiring firefighters. The test itself is really hit or miss as the answers for it all depend on the department giving it. The department just hired this year so 2013 sounds right for the next hiring.
The chance of being hired really depends on you having all the certifications, no criminal record, scoring in the top bracket of the fire team test, interviewing well etc. The hiring process is extremely competative.
Generally to get hired as a firefighter in Colorado you will need the following:
NREMT EMT-B/State of Colorado EMT-B Certification or higher
IFSAC/CO Firefighter I or higher
IFSAC/CO Hazardous Materials Operations or higher
A valid CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) cert.
To be hired by CSFD you need the following:
· Be at least 18 years of age by date of hire
· Have a high school diploma or GED Certificate
· Successfully completed the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) no more the 12 months prior to the testing process.
· You must be by the date of hire a US citizen, permanent resident alien, temporary resident alien, applicant for temporary resident status, refugee or asylee.
· You must be in appropriate physical condition and meet medical standards as established by the City of Colorado Springs Fire Department
· Have or be able to obtain a valid Colorado driver's license
· You must have not been convicted of a felony
· You must not have been convicted of a crime that would affect your ability to certify with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). Visit the NREMT website at https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/policy_felony.asp that will preclude EMT certification
They will not consider your application unless you meet these requirements. A bachelors degree is not really usefull in the hiring process unless they are trying to weed down the number of applicants.
Last edited by BoulderJ; 09-05-2012 at 12:58 AM.
09-05-2012, 02:46 AM #3
- Join Date
- Sep 2012
Thank you for this information and the quick response. Both of these are appreciated.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By peterbound in forum Hiring & Employment DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM
By smokinfire21-dupe5 in forum Hiring & Employment DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 04-07-2009, 12:26 PM
By hydrotech in forum Meet and GreetReplies: 0Last Post: 03-21-2007, 04:59 AM
By maynerd14 in forum Hiring & Employment DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 02-26-2006, 03:41 PM
By neildonahue in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 3Last Post: 08-15-2003, 07:39 PM