Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fire49
  • 1 Post By bw3
  • 1 Post By upallday
  • 1 Post By BCLepore

Thread: Applying Out of State

Forum Member

Default Applying Out of State

Hey there I'm new to this site and also still fairly new to firefighting. I was curious if anyone could give me some tips for applying to departments out of state. I am volunteering at a department in Colorado and am trying to apply anywhere I can. Currently I haven't applied to any departments out of state. I still have my EMT National. My goal is to one day work for a city and I'll do whatever I can to get there. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Forum Member

Check city and state firefighter certification web sites to see what is required just to apply

Some states will take other states certifications and some will not

Some cities you have to go through thier academy even if you have 30 years experience

If you have any contacts in other states give them a call to see what the minimum is just to apply

Here is tx info

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp

Check this weekly for jobs

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Some tx cities will put you through thier academy others want you tx certified with min emt, a lot want paramedic

Easy fast way to get tx cert;;;

http://www.trainingdivision.com/fire...ertifications/

Forum Member

Check this out for great advice

http://www.eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

Forum Member

San Antonio is taking apps, no experience needed

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t125110/ (San Antonio 2012)

Forum Member

Sorry one more

Behind meeting state requirements your second biggest problem is travel expenses, sometimes you have to travel three or more times that adds up.

So start saving money!!!!!!

bw3
    Forum Member

Check out paramedic school. Alot of departments are now requiring you to have your medic card. Good Luck.
    enginetercera likes this.

Forum Member

I'm a FL FF & EMT. I've been all over looking for a job. I've driven and even flown in my search. Expenses add up, so be prepared. I have traveled to GA, NC, CO, and a few other states in my search of a job. The internet is your friend. Do a little research before you decide to apply with a specific dept. See what that city's economy is like, see what the dept morale is like. See what their hiring trends are like. You are making a big decision, so you want to make sure it's something you won't regret.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I'm a FL FF & EMT. I've been all over looking for a job. I've driven and even flown in my search. Expenses add up, so be prepared. I have traveled to GA, NC, CO, and a few other states in my search of a job. The internet is your friend. Do a little research before you decide to apply with a specific dept. See what that city's economy is like, see what the dept morale is like. See what their hiring trends are like. You are making a big decision, so you want to make sure it's something you won't regret.

check out texas once in awhile, cheap to live there:::

Forum Member

advice from someone who just landed a job out of state and traveled for many tests.

1. Find out how many people the department plans on hiring. If they're going to hire two people it's probably not worth your time/money to go test out of state.

2. Start saving your money. You'll spend a lot. Quick.

3. You're spending a lot of time/money to go through the process. Study, practice and then do it again. Don't waste an opportunity you paid so much for.

4. Let HR/whoever is hiring know you're traveling for this. If you're lucky, they'll let you combine certain parts of the process, possibly saving you a trip or two.

5. Recruit buddies to go test with you. Split hotels/rental cars, etc...

6. Use this forum/any other forum you can as a resource. People will often offer you a couch to crash on, a ride or just to meet up/hang out with you and show you around.

It's a tough go, man. But the second you're offered a job, all the time, effort and money is worth it.

Best of luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    check out texas once in awhile, cheap to live there:::

Thanks, I would love to live and work in TX. I lived in Austin for a few years. However, I'm past the "max age limit" for most TX departments. I look around in TX from time to time to see what is available though.

Forum Member

In the State of Oklahoma age limit is 45, check Tulsa metro area as well as OKC metro area agencies. Great benefits, low cost of living, great people. It depends where you want to go... myself being a surfer, its tough to give a a good use to my board around here

Follow all previous advices. Best of luck!

Forum Member

Hey Longshot. I'm also based in Colorado and have been testing both in and out of state for over 3 years now. I would say I test about 50/50 in/out of state as my budget allows. I've learned a few things over the past few years with testing out of state.
    1. Play the numbers game. As someone above mentioned, if they're hiring three don't waste the money on flying-it's not impossible by any means, but at least set yourself up with the best odds you can.
    2. Be prepared to take time off during a work week-assuming you have a fulltime job, this can be difficult for some people.
    3. Be open to different areas. I started off by saying I would only move to DC, stay in CO, or try out California, but there are many many MANY great departments all around the country. Quality of living should be somewhat of a factor, but don't solely rely on that.
    4. Join a frequent flyer miles club. No joke. I get to take a vacation this year on the miles I've traveled for testing, which at least means I'm getting something out of the large number of "no thanks" I've received.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Thanks, I would love to live and work in TX. I lived in Austin for a few years. However, I'm past the "max age limit" for most TX departments. I look around in TX from time to time to see what is available though.

I keep hearing the age limit rumor!!!!

Yes some of the bigger cities do have an age limit

I keep telling people check each city

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not as convinced that being based out of Colorado (or anywhere else) and testing across the state is such a great idea. My recommendation is to DECIDE WEHRE YOU WANT TO WORK and then put a plan into motion. What I mean by this is to determine the region of the country you want to live and raise your family. Research the entry level requirements for the area and determine if you meet them. If you do not, put a plan into place to meet them, or pick another region.

I can tell you that many of us who make decisions shy away from someone who has no connection to the community. Someone on the testing circuit will simply settle for a job anywhere. That's not what WE are looking for. We are looking for someone who is interested in our region and has ties here. No fire chief wants to be a training ground for someone to come here for a few years until they can return home to their "choice" department.
    SAVE YOUR MONEY and work on getting qualified. This means working toward an AS degree, a basic fire academy, minimum EMT training, and of course paramedic training.

It's incredibly competitive out there right now. We are hiring the top shelf candidates. It's up to you to become one of them.

Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

In addition to what Chief Lepore commented and to exemplify it:

Last class a department I know of, hired about 25 people, 10 were paramedic, 10 approx. had at least a Bachelor's degree and the rest had or were working toward and Associate's. Of course all of them had NREMT Basic. 3 of the candidates were working toward a Master's degree in different fields... that's just how competitive this has become.

I know and heard of several people who were hired in different states with no ties to the community at all (even applying from out of the country- imagine that). So what Chief Lepore commented (being very true) I believe it applies mostly to small to medium size departments. Read the thread from Dallas Fire Rescue... several guys and gals from CA and other states were hired recently there. Austin Fire Dept, same situation. I know guys who have "transfered " from large departments to large departments (of course completing the entire process as everybody else)...

But most important, follow Lepore's advice in planning were you want to go, were you want to raise your family... I am telling you: pick up a piece of paper and draft a 5 year plan. Go far, get yourself a B.S. or Paramedic, learn a different language... but don't get trapped with that mentality "I just want to fight fires". Even to do that you might need a graduate degree now days... just saying.

Again, best of luck!
    Last edited by enginetercera; 09-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Thread Information