Forum Member

Default Instructor evaluations- what to evaluate

When conducting instructor evaluations, what are you looking for? What behaviors, etc. do you WANT to see the instructor doing or providing the students? What behaviors, bad habits, etc. do you NOT WANT to see your instructors doing with students? The instructors are providing fire, EMS, hazmat, and some rescue (auto extrication, rope) training.

I'm looking at developing a checklist to use for evaluating instructors in the department. I want to use the evaluations to strengthen instructor presentation skills. Any ideas? Anyone have a checklist I could use??

Thank you!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by EMAGUY View Post
    When conducting instructor evaluations, what are you looking for? Knowledge of the topic, and not just what they read out of a book about it, a well thought out and prepared lesson plan, the ability to adapt and overcome any problems that arise, like a blown projector bulb. What behaviors, etc. do you WANT to see the instructor doing or providing the students? I personally like an instructor to take charge but not in a "HUT HUT" way. They take charge by their style, and ability to interact with their audience. I like a good mix of factual information mixed with anecdotal information whether their own stories or things from colleagues or the publications. What behaviors, bad habits, etc. do you NOT WANT to see your instructors doing with students? I hate people that use laser pointers and repeatedly circle or wave the dot at what they are emphasizing. I dislike instructors that read to me from the outline instead of being prepared enough to be able to do it without the crutch of the outline. I dislike monotone, humorless, drone type instructors. The instructors are providing fire, EMS, hazmat, and some rescue (auto extrication, rope) training.

I'm looking at developing a checklist to use for evaluating instructors in the department. I want to use the evaluations to strengthen instructor presentation skills. Any ideas? Anyone have a checklist I could use??

Let me look for a checklist.

Thank you!
    Good luck with this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

FyredUp:

Thank you for responding. I apologize for the lengthy delay responding to your post; I've been traveling a great deal lately.

I've noted your comments concerning instructors without any, or very little, knowledge or experience with presented subject matter. Often, I'm asked by instructors how to overcome such problems; my answer is suggesting the instructor take time to attend classes or find other ways to gain operational experience for the subjects he/she presents.

Also, I am aware of the pain inflected while someone runs down the course outline; however, I have recenly noticed several instuctors at training events I was working at reading directly from the powerpoint slide....... and didn't offer any material beyond what was on the screen. I wondered how the audience was able to sit through that? I didn't notice anyone ask questions or offer some method of breaking the instructor away from the huge error. Maybe the students were being quite and hoping the misery would end soon.

Thank you for the reminder an instructor needs to "take charge" of the program and "run the room". I especially like instructors that are well prepared, have materials organized for easy distribution to the class, and have taken the time to have practical skill areas prepared and ready to assess students without causing downtime.

If you run across any kind of applicable checklist, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Forum Member

You might call the national fire academy or if you know someone going, get a copy of thier class eval.

I know some subjects are hard to make interesting.

Yes most important the instructor needs to know about the subject, and not just take a powerpoint and try to teach from it.

If the students are not asking questions or the instructor is not asking questions there is a problem.

also, breaks, some isntructors teach non stop.

not to many war stories!!!!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I lose interest almost immediately when instructors read me the powerpoint and add NOTHING beyond that. To me that is one of 2 things 1) An instructor too lazy to adequately prepare for the class, 2) An instructor with no personal knowledge of the topic that has no recourse but to read the power points because they have nothing to add.

I have to smile about how I give breaks. I usually do 1 break per hour of class time as a rule, but I also look for the smokers in the class and if they begin to fidget hard I will call a break early if need be!
    Last edited by FyredUp; 10-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I've noted your comments concerning instructors without any, or very little, knowledge or experience with presented subject matter. Often, I'm asked by instructors how to overcome such problems; my answer is suggesting the instructor take time to attend classes or find other ways to gain operational experience for the subjects he/she presents.

If an instructor is too stupid to educate himself on something he is TEACHING - he is too stupid to be teaching.
    And to me -the best evaluation is to quiz some of the students 6 months after they have taken the class
    ?

Forum Member

fire49: Very good reminder about the need for questioning students. Sometimes, I get going and forget to use the technique to gauge the class or occasionally pull a student back into the class if he/she seems to be getting a bit squirrely. Also, I will try to find other organizations evaluation lists.

FyredUp: I'll note your use of the smokers in the class. Another great indicator it's time to get folks out of the seats!

slackjawedyokel: Great idea to measure student retention some time after the class. In the future, I'll use your suggestion.

Thank you, each, for your comments and suggestions.

Thread Information