Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Janet Long says firefighters have 'taken advantage' of Sept. 11

Forum Member

Default Janet Long says firefighters have 'taken advantage' of Sept. 11

From the home page of the Tampa Times "Ex-Rep. Long rips fire unions." On the eve of Spt. 11th ex state representative running for county commission.....I'll let you read the article the title says it all:

"Janet Long says firefighters have 'taken advantage' of Sept. 11"

Link to the article:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgo...ept-11/1250816

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by closetkd View Post
    From the home page of the Tampa Times "Ex-Rep. Long rips fire unions." On the eve of Spt. 11th ex state representative running for county commission.....I'll let you read the article the title says it all:

"Janet Long says firefighters have 'taken advantage' of Sept. 11"

Link to the article:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgo...ept-11/1250816
    It is the politicians who take advantage of us... enough said!
    Weruj1, Chenzo and RangerJake72 like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Says it all:

As for Long's comments, Newton suggested she is upset because Pinellas firefighters have endorsed her opponent, Neil Brickfield.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

You guys won't like it....but to a point....I agree with some of what she said.

There are departments out there that have used 9/11 events as a justification on why they have increased budget demands and added equipment and specialized training.

"It could happen here".
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I wonder what the IAFF has to say about the FPF endorsing a republican over the Democratic candidate.......Interesting.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

makes good girls go bad

Guys. Today we remember our fallen Brothers. Can we table this until tomorrow?

FTM-PTB-RFB
    Chenzo, ATFDFF and RyanK63 like this.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Good point, my county.

Irked me, wanted to share.

My bad.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I wonder what the IAFF has to say about the FPF endorsing a republican over the Democratic candidate.......Interesting.
    I would bet they say nothing. The union Board in my old department routinely supported republicans over Dems. Especially at the local level.

the 4-1-4

Who cares what the IAFF has to say about who any local chooses to endorse. The IAFF has proven over the past couple of years, to me, that they are all talk.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    You guys won't like it....but to a point....I agree with some of what she said.

There are departments out there that have used 9/11 events as a justification on why they have increased budget demands and added equipment and specialized training.

"It could happen here".

This is the problem with politics. She is also wrong for using the statements that she chooses to. Unfortunately, there are many politicians who are using our words and tactics to fight for appropriate staffing against us. An engine company is browned-out and a nearby fire death occurs. As a local, we use it as an example of what happens when staffing levels are reduced, and politicians such as this woman will blast us for "grand-standing" and using a tragic event for our gain. It galls me to no end that this is what politics has sunk to in this country.

If we don't use events that have happened, as a way to improve the levels and styles of service we provide, people will die. That is a fact. We would never have improvements with anything we do. If we just sit back and take reductions in service, that is on our shoulders, as well. Some people are going to hate us no matter what. This also includes a certain, small segment of society that politicians, such as this woman are trying to appease and cater to.
    My conscience is clean with regard to fighting for staffing, which is what this article is ultimately about.
    If you don't plan for it, you will never be ready for it.
    Last edited by Jasper 45; 09-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    SPFDRum and scfire86 like this.

Forum Member

In one of the comments it states that her husband is a retired firefighter. Interesting.

Forum Member

Why would they say anything? It's a local politician, they can endorse whoever the hell they want to. Do you really think there's a law requiring the IAFF to always vote Democrat?? Do you think even for a second they would endorse that...witch, just because she's a Democrat??

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Let the politics go for one day...

I remember where I was on this day 11 years ago. I had finished checking out my rig at work and we were all sitting around the kitchen table doing the usual, you know bull ****ting and ball busting, when the bulletin came on the news. The first plane had hit the tower and the speculations were going wild, was it a malfunction, pilot error, or what? No one wanted to believe it was anything other than an accident until the second plane hit. The usual banter ended and we all focused on the news. No one moved and very few spoke as we watched the Twin Towers fall. Finally one guy said "What were they doing inside those buildings?" I have to admit I was angered by what he said and replied "The same God Damned thing we would be doing, OUR JOB!"

My thoughts and prayers are with the 343 FDNY Firefighters that died that day, as well as the 37 Port Authority Police Department Officers, 23 NYPD Officers, 1 member of the New York Fire Patrol, and 8 EMTs and Paramedics from private ambulance services. The sad truth is almost 900 responders have died, and continue to die, since that tragic day from diseases brought on by working in that highly contaminated atmosphere. Tragically, we may never completely know or understand the psychological or physical trauma suffered by those that responded to the towers but a strong indicator may be the mass retirements from the FDNY that occurred afterwards.

Remember the heroes of that day, not only the firefighters, cops, and EMS personnel, but those ordinary citizens that did extrordinary deeds of heroism to save there fellow man from the towers.
    Weruj1, Ack8236, Chenzo and 2 others like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Finally one guy said "What were they doing inside those buildings?" I have to admit I was angered by what he said and replied "The same God Damned thing we would be doing, OUR JOB!"
    This gets me every time I hear you say it. That right there, is why we must never forget. Not because any of them wanted to be heroes, but because they went in to get as many people out as they could, regardless of the consequences to themselves. I have nothing, NOTHING but respect for anyone who did what they did on that day.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Let the politics go for one day...

I remember where I was on this day 11 years ago. I had finished checking out my rig at work and we were all sitting around the kitchen table doing the usual, you know bull ****ting and ball busting, when the bulletin came on the news. The first plane had hit the tower and the speculations were going wild, was it a malfunction, pilot error, or what? No one wanted to believe it was anything other than an accident until the second plane hit. The usual banter ended and we all focused on the news. No one moved and very few spoke as we watched the Twin Towers fall. Finally one guy said "What were they doing inside those buildings?" I have to admit I was angered by what he said and replied "The same God Damned thing we would be doing, OUR JOB!"

My thoughts and prayers are with the 343 FDNY Firefighters that died that day, as well as the 37 Port Authority Police Department Officers, 23 NYPD Officers, 1 member of the New York Fire Patrol, and 8 EMTs and Paramedics from private ambulance services. The sad truth is almost 900 responders have died, and continue to die, since that tragic day from diseases brought on by working in that highly contaminated atmosphere. Tragically, we may never completely know or understand the psychological or physical trauma suffered by those that responded to the towers but a strong indicator may be the mass retirements from the FDNY that occurred afterwards.

Remember the heroes of that day, not only the firefighters, cops, and EMS personnel, but those ordinary citizens that did extrordinary deeds of heroism to save there fellow man from the towers.
    My most vivid memory of that day was turning on a news station that had a crew near the WTC and I could hear all the PDL (PASS) alerts in the background. I was at work that day and I know every firefighter on the planet that heard that noise knew exactly what it meant.
    FIRE117 likes this.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    My most vivid memory of that day was turning on a news station that had a crew near the WTC and I could hear all the PDL (PASS) alerts in the background. I was at work that day and I know every firefighter on the planet that heard that noise knew exactly what it meant.
    That is a vivid memory that you just revived for me...The thought of it choked me right up and the echo of those pass alarms is ringing in my head now. I remember telling someone, maybe it was one of my sons, what that sound was but not what it meant. That thought was too horrible to express.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

That is a vivid memory that you just revived for me...The thought of it choked me right up and the echo of those pass alarms is ringing in my head now. I remember telling someone, maybe it was one of my sons, what that sound was but not what it meant. That thought was too horrible to express.
    Then you will appreciate this story.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Why would they say anything? It's a local politician, they can endorse whoever the hell they want to. Do you really think there's a law requiring the IAFF to always vote Democrat?? Do you think even for a second they would endorse that...witch, just because she's a Democrat??
    No, there is no law. However the IAFF is historically known for endorsing the Democratic candidate no matter the level of local, state or federal office nor the candidate's records or campaign promises. I remember having a union president that used to chant the mantra of "Vote for the Democrat, do whats best for your Union!"
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

No, there is no law. However the IAFF is historically known for endorsing the Democratic candidate no matter the level of local, state or federal office nor the candidate's records or campaign promises. I remember having a union president that used to chant the mantra of "Vote for the Democrat, do whats best for your Union!"
    In that locale, that advice may be the best for those individuals.

I do know that here in OC, the GOP wants to blow up the pension plans and some have expressed interest in privatizing the entire entity to a private contractor like Wackenhut or Rural Metro company.

Forum Member

While it is true the the majority of political candidates the IAFF endorses are democrats, it is not exclusive as you are implying. I have seen many republican candidates get the nod from the IAFF purely because of where they stand on firefighter rights issues, cancer presumptive laws, grant selection and more.

My state union representative makes voting history of local state and federal government candidates easily accessible to us through our member website.

Do you mind if I ask what union you used to or currently belong to, that would say that to one of it's members?
    IAFF

Forum Member

The union can advise you to vote fore whomever they want, but the union as an oganization has zero votes to cast, the individual members hold that priveledge. You have to remember they are advocates for THEIR agenda, just as AARP, NRA, and other organizations are. The individual, union member or not, has to decide what THEIR priorities are, and cast their vote accordingly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    The union can advise you to vote fore whomever they want, but the union as an oganization has zero votes to cast, the individual members hold that priveledge. You have to remember they are advocates for THEIR agenda, just as AARP, NRA, and other organizations are. The individual, union member or not, has to decide what THEIR priorities are, and cast their vote accordingly.
    You are absolutely correct. No one owns your vote.

I have voted for candidates that were not endorsed by my union board on more than one occasion.

Forum Member

[rant on]

OK Janet Long, why don't you:

1) Go on fire and EMS runs at 1:30 AM.
    2) Fight a fire and suffer with a sinus infection for three days afterwards.
    3) Spend Christmas day fighting a fire, instead of being with your family.
    4) Knowing that your profession has a high injury rate, which could cause you to not being
    able to work and support your family. Also the high cancer rate for firefighters.
    5) Put on a Level A suit and work in a chemically contaminated hot zone.
    6) Work with patients that have HIV and/or Hepatitis.

Well Janet, firefighters sacrifice. Before you criticize them for asking for public support to carry out their work to protect and serve THE GENERAL PUBLIC, put yourself in their shoes.

[rant off]

Forum Member

Reading into this story, Sunstar Paramedics is a public entity, run by the county. Ms. Long is running for a county seat... I think her defiance to the city fire taking over the EMS service is a political problem. Most times if a county EMS agency looses a city, they cannot fund the service outside of the city with the revenue that the county brings in. I would assume that Pinellas or St. Petersburg is Sunstars cash cow, and loss of that cash cow would elliminate county paramedic jobs.

The fact that she chose her words and accused firefighters of riding the 9/11 train is unexcusable. I would bet that the fire department did not even bring up 9/11 in their proposal to run their own EMS.

This discussion always gets me thinking that when (economic) times are good, we (firefighters) are looked upon as underpaid, overworked public servents. When all the IBM office workers loose their jobs and we are left with a modest job, good pay and benifits then we are demonized.

edit: city is Pinellas or St. Petersburg not Tampa, artile was not clear.
    Last edited by FiremanLyman; 09-14-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: getting it right
    ~Drew
    Firefighter/EMT/Technical Rescue
    USAR TF Rescue Specialist

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    [rant on]

OK Janet Long, why don't you:

1) Go on fire and EMS runs at 1:30 AM.
    2) Fight a fire and suffer with a sinus infection for three days afterwards.
    3) Spend Christmas day fighting a fire, instead of being with your family.
    4) Knowing that your profession has a high injury rate, which could cause you to not being
    able to work and support your family. Also the high cancer rate for firefighters.
    5) Put on a Level A suit and work in a chemically contaminated hot zone.
    6) Work with patients that have HIV and/or Hepatitis.

Well Janet, firefighters sacrifice. Before you criticize them for asking for public support to carry out their work to protect and serve THE GENERAL PUBLIC, put yourself in their shoes.

[rant off]
    "OK Janet Long, why don't you:"

Kiss my .........
    and then you can shove.........
    I hope you........
    You little........

Fixed if for you.

Thread Information