Forum Member

Default Scratching my head

I am a 24/48 guy at a combo dept (pt/full time/volunteer). We have a little manual consiting of constitution/bylaws and SOGs which is given to all members. The constitution and Bylaws are basicly rules/guides for volunteers regarding voting,making runs, leave of abscence,......ect. In the back of the manual SOGs.

Here is my issue. The first part of the manual (dealing with bylaws...ect) has been updated 5-6 times (last revised 4-5 months ago). But the SOGs hasn't been touched since 1990's.
    I tried to explain that we should have these updated with several good reasons.

You cant expect a firefighter to gain confidence if he is told to do one thing one way and then told the next day to do it differently by some else.

How can an officer gain the respect from firefighters if what he tells a firefighter is being contradicted by another officer?

Looking for suggestions (banging head against wall already on list), I am currently looking on the internet (NIOSH reports) to try to present to Chief with more info.

Thanks
    (and yes, i am considering telling him that this is 2012 not 1978)

Forum Member

I'm a little confused about your question. Are you saying that in your manual there are contradictory statements or just that the manual hasn't been updated and that there are varying methods being taught by different individuals in the firehouse.

If the second there are good reasons for knowing more than one way to accomplish the same task. Even if you're taught a way that is outside the SOG's the G stands for Guideline which generally means variation is allowed when necessary.

I think if you see changes that need to be made for good reason then point them out specifically, if you just want them updated because they haven't been then it's a lot harder to justify.

MembersZone Subscriber

The question is why haven't the SOG's been updated since the 1990's?

Are they in fact out of date? There are those here who are fond of saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." That might be the case here.

That's not to say that they shouldn't be reviewed on a regular basis (and said review should be noted with the SOG), and maybe they have been.

If they haven't been reviewed lately, they probably should be. If different people are interpreting them different ways, there's obviously an issue there, and perhaps the language needs to be updated.

If people are flat out disregarding them and taking their own path, that's a leadership/command issue.

While your input is valuable, perhaps it's time to put together a committee of appropriate folks to review said SOG's. A few meetings, especially if the committee includes the folks with varying viewpoints, will bring such differences to a head.

Once everyone agrees to the new/updated SOG's, the company officers should go over them with their crews, so everyone is on the same sheet of music. It wouldn't hurt if command officers sat in on some of the sessions, just to make sure the right message is being shared.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

My apologies for the post that wasn't clear. The SOGs are out of date, a example is a paragraph that deals with the maintenance of the pass devices (non-intregrated clip on style) on SCBAs which we no longer have (currently have Scott Air 75).
    Some time ago during hose testing, a firefighter was having a disagreement with another regarding 5 inch hose comming off the pumper. Fast foward 1/2 hour later, and the firefighter was being taken to the hospital after the hose busted off the truck 3 feet from where he was standing. Had SOGs been updated and referenced this could have settled the disagreement and prevented this unneccessary injury (he recovered thankfully)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SFSF View Post
    My apologies for the post that wasn't clear. The SOGs are out of date, a example is a paragraph that deals with the maintenance of the pass devices (non-intregrated clip on style) on SCBAs which we no longer have (currently have Scott Air 75).
    Some time ago during hose testing, a firefighter was having a disagreement with another regarding 5 inch hose comming off the pumper. Fast foward 1/2 hour later, and the firefighter was being taken to the hospital after the hose busted off the truck 3 feet from where he was standing. Had SOGs been updated and referenced this could have settled the disagreement and prevented this unneccessary injury (he recovered thankfully)

Sounds like a great job for those 24/48 guys to do updating all that.

Forum Member

I agree sogs may need updating, but SOGs cant fix stupid. And I dont think you should use that particular incident as fodder for your argument. You didnt say why the LDH ruptured, but I dont thik you need sogs to tell you to know the test pressure of hose BEFORE you start testing, and to have the good sense to gate the discharge down to a trickle. Common sense. Have you talked to the chief and offered to work WITH him on updating the SOGs?
    ?

Thread Information