Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Oral Board Questions

Hey Folks. I have an oral board next Tuesday and have been practicing a ton. I would love to see some new material to think about as I have covered every sample question I could find on the web. Also any interview advice or how to finish up my prep work. Thanks.

Forum Member

Check through this web site

http://www.eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

Forum Member

Two things that helped me a bunch: First, go to 911interviews.com or even youtube and watch other people do fire service interviews. You have to pay for 911interviews but it's totally worth it to see interviews from the other side of the table. Second, one of the most valuable pieces of advice that I ever got was to 'tell the board how their department is going to benefit from you.' This does not mean to tell them what makes you so awesome it means to tell them specific ways that you are going to help the department on an operational basis. For example, I have a lot of experience organizing and putting on fundraisers, blood drives, etc so I talked about how I could help with public outreach events since most fire departments do quite a few. Just one example. Fire service interviews are different than private sector interviews, there's no doubt about that, but if you can think of the department as a business that is looking to benefit from the work you do you might find some added perspective. I did. Let me know if this helps you at all.
    Last edited by DblBlack26; 09-13-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Forum Member

Please listen to the questions asked of you. Keep in mind all of the things asked. If it is a two part question, be sure to answer both parts. It is O.K., even good, to say, "This is a two part question". It shows us you recognize it is two parts, and by saying it, you have given yourself a verbal reminder to be sure to cover both parts.

Feel comfortable to take a few seconds before you answer and during your answer to pause and think. You want to get all of the things you want to say in, and we really don't want to rush you. There is no penalty for taking a moment to gather your thoughts.

We are trying to find the best people for this job. Not the best speakers, but the people that can bring the best of themselves to the interview. People that can convince us verbally that they can do the job, make it through training, probation, and the years to come. Even if you aren't the best speaker, if you bring your best stuff, present if well, you can do very well, even great if you work it right.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Have you researched the dept and city??

1 set up

2 talk more than 5 seconds

Forum Member

The best tool you can use for game day next week is a hand held voice recorder that goes everywhere your car keys go. It's not the questions for your answers. It's all about presentation skills. You need to hear what the oral board is going to hear out of your mouth. What have you got to stun the oral board into giving you the badge over the other candidates?

You can find more tips and questions in the previous posting:
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117336 (Interview Questions HELP!)
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Thanks for all the answers.

Thread Information