Forum Member

Default Dept/name on turnout coats

Hello.. question. Would it be a good idea to patch on a blank piece over the department name on a turnout coat? Can this even be done? There's also a big number on the rear bottom half of the coat. I've got most of the logo off, but there are a good amount of glue stuck to the coat. Any ideas of getting it off?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone.

Forum Member

When doing any altering to bunker gear, you want to make sure that you do not jeopardize the integrity of the bunker gear.

Bunker gear is manufactured to be compliant with the appropriate National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards.

If you want to do any altering of your bunker gear, best to contact the manufacturer. Tell them what model, etc of bunker gear, what you want to do with it and ask for advice. Their recommendations is what you should follow on what to and not to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
    Hello.. question. Would it be a good idea to patch on a blank piece over the department name on a turnout coat? Can this even be done? There's also a big number on the rear bottom half of the coat. I've got most of the logo off, but there are a good amount of glue stuck to the coat. Any ideas of getting it off?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone.
    Why would you want to do that?????
    everyonegoeshome.com

Forum Member

Likely because he bought it used, and it's a name of some random fire dept. OK bro, first step is to STOP doing what you're doing. All that glue means the gear has been unacceptably modified and is out of service. If it was added by an 1851 compliant vendor (and it was), the garment is out of service if it is removed out of accordance with 1851. That's care and maintenance, 1971 is the standard on pants and jacket I believe, you should scope those out. What you have to do now is get it repaired. Just google bunker gear repair, you should find a compliant vendor in your area, just ask them if they're nfpa compliant ( they shouldn't be jacking with turnouts if they aren't). It's not that expensive, and you're really supposed to an annual inspection on it anyways, so you can kill 2 birds with one stone. What kind of gear is it?

Forum Member

GLUE???? If the coat is worth it you may be able to have that panel replaced. I once got asphalt tar all over one sleeve on a coat, carefully scraped it off and washed it, yeah it got hot and had three or four little kind of wicks burning on that sleeve. didn't work out so good for me. Don't recommend it as a cure for boredom.

Thread Information