Forum Member

Default Chief's Interview decision

I am in the process of testing for a department and I recently passed the physical test. They haven't announced when the chief's interview will be, but it will likely be within the week. My question is this, I live out of town and have been flying in. Since I don't yet know when the interview is, I haven't bought a ticket yet. It will be late notice buying a ticket and I'm sure it will be expensive. The department has said that we will be able to Skype for the Chief's interview instead of coming in person, if we choose to. What is your opinion on doing this? Will this look bad on my part and shoud I make the trip, or will this be okay to Skype over the computer? Thanks for the input.

Mack

Forum Member

If they said Skype is ok, then Skype it. If it wasn't ok they wouldn't have offered. Obviously they understand your situation and are willing to work with you. I will add to this I'm not a career firefighter but I have had my share of interviews in the past, I've rarely not gotten the job whether it was a face to face or phone/remote interview.

Just remember to dress, talk and act exactly as you would for a face to face interview.

Forum Member

My opinion and its only my opinion, Is how bad do you want the job? I had a trip scheduled to go to Hawaii and got a call short notice for an interview they also offered me a chance to phone interview. I changed my flight (cost me a pretty penny) and made sure I was there to show them how much I wanted the job. I ended up going from #21 to #3 on that interview and am still in the process of getting a job with that paticular department. So again I ask How BAD do you want the job with that department?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mack27 View Post
    I am in the process of testing for a department and I recently passed the physical test. They haven't announced when the chief's interview will be, but it will likely be within the week. My question is this, I live out of town and have been flying in. Since I don't yet know when the interview is, I haven't bought a ticket yet. It will be late notice buying a ticket and I'm sure it will be expensive. The department has said that we will be able to Skype for the Chief's interview instead of coming in person, if we choose to. What is your opinion on doing this? Will this look bad on my part and shoud I make the trip, or will this be okay to Skype over the computer? Thanks for the input.

Mack
    Go to the interview. Don't Skype it. Why take the chance? I know of department's who have offered "voluntary" physical training, for example, and then miraculously not one person who chose not to go got hired. $400-$500 is a small price to pay for a dream job. Depending on how far it is, maybe driving is the way to go. Do what you're comfortable with, but if it were me... I'd be walking in, in a suit, and shaking the Chief's hand.

Forum Member

Call HR and tell them you are from out of town and want to be there in person. They may be able to give you a date range or the real date. If you need to go a few days early then spend that time visiting stations and learning the area. There is no way I would skype.

Think about this, the chief is not one of your buddies, he is a person at least old enough to still have a flip phone. He is most likely not comfortable with new tech stuff and there is no way to get a warm personal feeling over a video chat. as said above go and put in the effort if it is important to you. Would you have a first date over Skype?
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Default Interview

Nothing is better than a face to face interview. If you want the job bad enough....invest in a ticket no matter what the cost will be.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I agree. I'd make the trip. It'll look good on you that you paid the money to fly out and do a face to face interview.

Forum Member

More agencies are conducting phone or skype interviews as a way to cull the herd.

Nothing can replace the hand shake and getting to make your best presenation.

It can come down to how many interviews have you had? How many are they interviewing?

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I hope things work out for you. I am in the same situation but I just had a phone interview last week. It was originally scheduled for a Skype interview but due to technical reasons they had to call. I would be commuting from Spain, as in Europe, to Georgia for the interview to just turn around and come back 18 to 20 days later for a physical (medical).

Best advice is to 1) reiterate that you would be there in person but with the short notice it was not possible & 2) stay positive. Interviewing committees can tell when you aren't 100% sure and often that is the deal breaker, from my experience at least.

Let me know how it turns out will yea

-C
    -Corey "Mr O-we-some!" Walsh
    Moron AB Fire Dept USAFE
    Moron, Spain

"I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

MembersZone Subscriber

DO NOT under any circumstances Skype your interview. This shows a complete LACK of interest and commitment. I personally conduct Chief's interviews. I cannot tell you how badly it would turn me off if someone was not interested enough to sit in front of me in person.

It's hard enough to get a job. It's really hard to be on the other side of the table and select the people who will fill our shoes. Not meeting someone in person would greatly influence my decision.

For the record, I an not against technology. I earned a Masters degree online. I understand and appreciate the value of technology. I also have conducted hundreds of interviews. Skype has no place in a final selection interview.
    Invest in your future!

Best of luck to you,
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information