Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CaptOldTimer

Thread: getting hired..

Forum Member

Default getting hired..

will small use of cocaine when I was 16 keep me from getting hired? I am now 23 and have not done any drugs sense.

Forum Member

turn on your private messaging

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4 View Post
    will small use of cocaine when I was 16 keep me from getting hired? I am now 23 and have not done any drugs sense.
    Most likely.

Adibingo likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Forum Member

Might hurt just a little

Do you have any certs yet??

Have you applied anywhere???

Forum Member

With many agencies if you admitted to using cocaine it is a deal buster no matter how many time you used it. It there is a psych it only compounds the problem.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

yes I already have my fire I/II and am a EMT basic and currently in paramedic school, I also have a two year degree. I applied to a Dpt and scheduled to test for them next month.

Forum Member

Yes/No. There are plenty other qualified candidate whom have clean records that look more valuable to departments. Although keep your nose clean and keep striving for your goal and it IS possible. I know plenty people who got on big city departments with less than desirable backgrounds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4 View Post
    yes I already have my fire I/II and am

a EMT basic and currently in paramedic school, I also have a two year degree. I applied to a Dpt and scheduled to test for them next month.

What state are you in???

Are you willing to move to another state

Forum Member

Im from Fl. The Dpt that I applied for is actually out of state.

Forum Member

Relax, you will be fine. You can absolutely still get hired, especially after you've completed medic school.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidazoWHAM! View Post
    Relax, you will be fine. You can absolutely still get hired, especially after you've completed medic school.
    Really?????

For some they are clouded and domed before they ever take their first step because of something in their past, job history, criminal record, credit, driving record or domestic violence. They still believe though that they have a shot. They have convinced themselves by the four inches between their ears that they have an explanation about what has happened in the past that will convince those in the hiring process they’re the right candidate. So, they pack on all kinds of credentials, degrees, experience, academy, paramedic, etc. thinking this will erase the problems of the past. Then, they don't face it until it's staring them in the face when they start testing or at the next step in the hiring process.

Too often people will not give a candidate the information they really need. Yes, there are exceptions. Few if any. There are serious land mines ahead of every candidate. Some more than others. I try to shoot straight saving them time, money, and wasted opportunities.

I get similar calls from candidates who have a clouded pass who also feel if they pack on all kinds of education, experience and becoming a medic.

The field of battle has changed. Not too long ago you could over come some of this because it couldn’t be found. Now computers don’t forget. Those in the hiring process look for patterns. There is plenty here to establish a pattern that could cause major concerns.

I’m truly saddened when I tell them what their chances are of getting hired as I did this candidate.

What do you think most say?

Well, I’m going on anyway. How many do you think get back to me that they were hired?

None!

The application and background packet will ask you in several different ways, “Have you ever”. Computers don’t forget. If you don’t put it down they find it your immediately eliminated from the hiring process.

Where is can really play out is in the psych evaluation where up to 40% of candidates fail. With problems in your past the doc will ask you some difficult questions that could take the wheels off your wagon.

Too many candidates walk in flat-footed once they’re given a conditional job offer and are eliminated in the psych, poly and medical. These are unchartered waters where you need to be prepared in advance before you show up. These are experts who are being paid to take you out.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Really?????
    Yes, really.

Obviously its a hurdle, and there are departments out there that may not consider the applicant, but there are just as many that will. I, and many that i work with, are proof of that.

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends. You stated that you used cocaine, not that you were caught and charged with a drug offense. There is a big difference.
    If you happened to have a major lapse in judgment and gave it a try and that was it, no problem as there is no record of you using it.
    If you were caught and went in front of a judge there may be a record of it that can be pulled by a Dept and would reflect negatively on you. However, SOMETIMES the court records of a minor are sealed and usually don't appear on a background check.
    Don't be discouraged. If this is something you want to do, go full bore and see what happens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
    It depends. You stated that you used cocaine, not that you were caught and charged with a drug offense. There is a big difference.
    If you happened to have a major lapse in judgment and gave it a try and that was it, no problem as there is no record of you using it.
    If you were caught and went in front of a judge there may be a record of it that can be pulled by a Dept and would reflect negatively on you. However, SOMETIMES the court records of a minor are sealed and usually don't appear on a background check.
    Don't be discouraged. If this is something you want to do, go full bore and see what happens.

Sealed/ expunged records are not always that !!!! They can be found sometimes

Plus if the app asked if you have "ever" been arrested, no way around that one

Also is a poly is given recreational drug use can come out

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post

I don't disagree. Every dept has a slighty different application process. I don't believe that "4" should just stop applying and testing if this is what he/she wants to do. Let the individual depts make the choice on if he/she is qualified or not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post

Ah yes. Polygraph exam. The great voodoo/black magic science.

Forum Member

You may be able to call the HR department of different departments and ask them what the things are that are disqualifiers. Not only background and drug issues, but also medical things like eye sight requirements, surgeries, etc.

I talked to a guy who filled out the online application, the only way to apply, for one of the two largest departments in southern California. After entering all of his info: name address, social, etc. It had a page that said have you ever. Have you ever been arrested, have you ever been detained, have you ever ingested in any way one of the following drugs. It went on to list drugs and you could put the amount, if any, next to it.

He had gone to a party in high school and been given a soda with LSD in it. He got sick, went to the hospital the police were involved, and the person that did it went to jail as a result. When he put down one time LSD, he was immediately disqualified from applying. Forever. For any department within the city. He called HR and told his story and was told they didn’t have any wiggle room and even the police report wouldn’t change that.

A DUI, drug usage, criminal history, being fired from multiple jobs are things that can keep some people from getting a job, anywhere. Think about it from the Chief’s point of view. If he hires a person, who has done drugs, had a DUI, has a record for stealing, and then on the job that person does it again, and he knew about the previous stuff, he would look pretty stupid.

The police chief of San Francisco retired early a few years ago because he hired a guy just like that, a guy with A DUI, minor in possession, assault. This guy then drunk and beat a guy up and stole his fajitas. The guy with the record he hired was his son; S.F. doesn’t bend the rules any more. Neither do a lot of places. It just isn’t worth it in the media environment we are in now, we are already the bad guys for doing our jobs well.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends on the department. There are plenty of places where Cocaine is an automatic disqualifier. There are other places that MAY overlook it. Whichever the case, lying about is an automatic disqualifier. Background examination results are given to the Fire Chief who ultimately makes the final decision. I can tell you that at one time I would have said this would be an automatic DQ, however, there does seem to be some leeway, particularly if it was done many years ago. Good luck to you!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    AspiringFirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information