Forum Member

Default High Rise Procedures

We are doing some revising of our high rise procedures and are fumbling a little bit. Here is what we have, so compare to your Department and provide some feedback.

Currently: Five Engines, Two Ladders, Rescue Company, Battalion Chief, Division Chief on initial.

- First three Engines are dedicated to the fire attack and head up to the fire floor (or floor above if need be).
    - Fourth Engine is "lobby control". They establish accountability, set up the vehicle repeater system, and secure the lobby for the I.C.
    - Fifth Engine is RIT.
    - First Ladder goes to the fire floor.
    - Second Ladder goes to the floor above.
    - Current "medium duty" Rescue Company of two members runs elevators.

Proposed: Five Engines, Two Ladders, Heavy Rescue Unit (staffed with five in January), Battalion Chief, Division Chief.

It has already been stated that the Rescue Unit will no longer "run elevators", which is great in my opinion. But, who will run them now? Who runs them in your Department? Do you dedicate a crew to running elevators? One idea is to have "lobby control" do it, but our Engines are three man minimum staffed, so a three man crew to do all of that is tough.

Would like feedback from those that have worked with high rises at one time or another, paid or vollie doesn't matter to me.

Forum Member

It sounds similar to our procedure only we have 4-0 staffing so loaning a guy out to operate the elevator for a short time is acceptable. Short time being that the first arriving unit will almost automagically strike a second bell if there is a working fire. That first alarm assignment is going to gas out quickly on the initial walk up and attack.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    It sounds similar to our procedure only we have 4-0 staffing so loaning a guy out to operate the elevator for a short time is acceptable. Short time being that the first arriving unit will almost automagically strike a second bell if there is a working fire. That first alarm assignment is going to gas out quickly on the initial walk up and attack.
    Thanks for the info Snowball. So if you have a guy running elevators they can do it solo?

I agree about pulling the second. Same goes for us, if it's a working fire, then it's an automatic second alarm. Rather than assigning someone on the first alarm, might make sense to assign a second alarm company to the task. Just trying to get all options laid out....

Forum Member

As the fire grows, so can the number of elevators used to haul gear and personnel up. If need be a second can be reserved below the fire floor for EMS. Depends on the building and the number of cars it has. It's all pretty dynamic.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Our OV runs the elevator, as long as the fire is out of reach of ladders,otherwise, the elevator is not used and we walk up.

Here is an OLD version of our High Rise Ops, it has changed a bit since this version was written and is the focus for Commercial High Rises, we use a separate set of procedures for Residential High Rise, but the idea is the same, the key difference is that in commercial's the everyone sticks together, were as in residential, the roofman goes to the floor above which impacts horizontal venting.

Here is the link: http://sageauthoring.com/fdny/construction/hr01.pdf

I'll figure out how to post up the new one....it just changed again last week, so It may take me a bit.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Our OV runs the elevator, as long as the fire is out of reach of ladders,otherwise, the elevator is not used and we walk up.

Here is an OLD version of our High Rise Ops, it has changed a bit since this version was written and is the focus for Commercial High Rises, we use a separate set of procedures for Residential High Rise, but the idea is the same, the key difference is that in commercial's the everyone sticks together, were as in residential, the roofman goes to the floor above which impacts horizontal venting.

Here is the link: http://sageauthoring.com/fdny/construction/hr01.pdf

I'll figure out how to post up the new one....it just changed again last week, so It may take me a bit.
    Great Vinnie, thanks.

Thread Information