Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hewartson47

Thread: Does anyone know about Detroit???

Forum Member

Default Does anyone know about Detroit???

Does anyone have some factual info on how many FFs the city has to date and there medics to date? Please don't get on hear and start bashing on the city of Detroit I'm a Michigander at heart, I live in the south now due to being stationed here from the military. And honestly I want to work for the city of Detroit, yes I've heard and done my research about the commisioner, the lay offs, and everything else but does anyone know if and when they might hire some new younger guys?!? Please keep it clean and helpful thank you !

Forum Member

I know they just laid off a whole group of people. That normally is not a good sign.

They fight a ton of fires. The whole city is going to burn down to nothing the way it looks.

MembersZone Subscriber

They haven't hired a class of non-city employees in about 10 years and it is safe to assume they won't for another 10 or more. They can't keep the guys they have on the job, let alone afford to hire more. If you want on, the only (slim) chance is to get a different city job and hope they do another employee class in a few years. Bankruptcy, union busting, population exodus, threat of state take-over, and still no plan to improve anything...that doesn't give reason to think things will change anytime soon, if ever. Then, whenever they do hire, expect to be one of 20,000+ applicants for a job for which who you know and where you live is critical, while your level of qualification for the job are meaningless.
    CFD11 likes this.

Forum Member

Do you guys think the next test would be for city employees only or not? Either way I can't really see Detroit looking to hire any firefighters for the next several years minimum. They need to hire back the guys they laid off and they have recently closed a number of companies. That being said I am not on the job there and would love a chance to achieve it, no other city still sees this number of fires. I'm still young but am in a good position with departments elsewhere, which is great but I always wanted to work in Detroit and I can't see them looking to hire for several years and I'm not sure it would even be worth it to take another city job with the hope of being taken into the Fire Department off the city employee only exam.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Do you guys think the next test would be for city employees only or not?
    If/when they hire again, it won't be a large number. Since the city has no money and generally isn't keen on hiring outsiders, I can't imagine they will decide to conduct an expensive hiring process that will be primarily taken by out-of-towners.

I'm not sure it would even be worth it to take another city job with the hope of being taken into the Fire Department off the city employee only exam.
    If you can even find another city job...

Thread Information