Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EMT-B to EMT-P

Forum Member

Default EMT-B to EMT-P

I current have my EMT-B and I am preparing to start a paramedic course in February. Having a few months to kill before I begin, I was interested to hear thoughts on going through an EKG Tech or phlebotomy course prior to staring the paramedic course? Would it be a benefit or waste of time/money? Thanks!

Forum Member

I'm actually doing the same exact thing out here in Florida. I wouldn't say it would be a waste because of the extra experience you would receive. If the courses overlap or would delay your entry into the medic course, just make sure you choose the paramedic course and knock that out as soon as possible. Your instructors and class will work with you if you struggle with EKG or Phleb. You might even be able to take the paramedic course and challange the EKG and Phleb. tests.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would not waste my time with a phlebotomy course. Starting IV's is pretty simple and you will get plenty of opportunities to do it. I do highly advise taking an A&P or an EKG identification course (ideally both).
    Paramedic school is extremely fast paced and the more you know before you get there, the better your chances of passing the exams. If it were me I would be taking as many classes and pre-studying before school started.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    AspiringFireFighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

It depends on your plans. There is a hospital in town that hires ER techs and pays well for an EMT job. The catch is they require Phlebotomy certification to get hired. So if you are looking to make yourself more employable in a clinical setting, that could be a plus.

If you are looking to be a better paramedic I think there are better ways to do that, like working as an EMT, doing ride alongs with ALS units, etc to build your experience.

If you are looking for a fire career I'm sure there are things along that line as well that will be a better use of your time down the road.

How are your math and writing skills? A good math refresher or technical writing class would be good uses for that time, you will use both frequently as a medic.

Forum Member

If you don't have any A&P, micro, chem college classes I'd recommend those over an EKG or phlebotomy course.

Forum Member

The program I was in had an ECG course that was apart of the ACLS portion ( we earned our ACLS ) certification also, however the summer preceding the course I took a standalone ECG course and it most def helped me grasp rhythms and identify strips much easier. I had a much easier semester and didnt get hung up during the actual course. As for phlebotomy- like the posts above me stated its not neccesary unless youre looking for a job that requires. I suggest like the others an A&P or Med Term- either of those will have a profound affect on your learning curve. Just ensure you dont try to take them concurrent with your medic course.

Thread Information