Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dishwasher in Firestation

Forum Member

Default Dishwasher in Firestation

How many career fire departments out there have a dishwasher in the station. (Save the rookie jokes)

Thanks

Forum Member

well you got me with the rookie jokes aka im the rookie and the dishwasher. but to answer your question we do not have a dishwasher. Im in the midwest on a pretty big dept.

Forum Member

........ Nope.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

How do you turn a dishwasher into a snowplow?

Give the rookie a shovel.

(Sorry, I couldn't save the rookie joke.)
    RangerJake72 likes this.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

We have one.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have one in each station but I will caution you that about every three to four years you will need to replace it. They are a nice feature but they become a maintenance headache after about the third year in use.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
    We have one in each station but I will caution you that about every three to four years you will need to replace it. They are a nice feature but they become a maintenance headache after about the third year in use.
    household/home grade or a commercial grade?

I have worked in five stations in one career dept and three volunteer stations, every one has had a dishwasher. The ones that were heavy-duty/commercial grade units were built to last and did. The household/home grade units lasted 2-3 years.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I suppose when I become rookie I will be the station's dishwasher.

No problem as I worked in fast food for the past 3 years and can wash dishes extremely fast
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't figure a number, but I believe almost every paid station I have been in has had one, most residential quality. I know of two stations off the top of my head that did not however.

Very few of the volunteer stations in TN, AR, or MO that I have been in have them, but up in NY and PA most seemed to have them - if nothing else part of their social hall area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    household/home grade or a commercial grade?

I have worked in five stations in one career dept and three volunteer stations, every one has had a dishwasher. The ones that were heavy-duty/commercial grade units were built to last and did. The household/home grade units lasted 2-3 years.
    High end residential grade (stainless skins and interior). I should state that the appliance itself does not always fail, but doors do not "spring" themselves or over-load themsleves with twice the amount of dishes!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

All of the stations on my career job have dishwashers. If memory serves me correctly I believe it is an NFPA requirement.

YEAH, YEAH, I know bring on the NFPA police. My point is if you are building new or remodeling use that as ammunition to get a dishwasher. Further, as others have said go commercial grade, you will not be sorry.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

We just got done building two new stations. Our architect had a dishwasher drawn into the kitchen. We had it removed. To me a dishwasher is nothing but one more thing for the sorry crew to forget about and someone else have to do. When we eat, we follow the meal with cleaning and washing dishes. It is all done before we sit down. No sense in coming back an hour later to dry and put up dishes. We welcomed the extra cabinet space.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    All of the stations on my career job have dishwashers. If memory serves me correctly I believe it is an NFPA requirement.

YEAH, YEAH, I know bring on the NFPA police. My point is if you are building new or remodeling use that as ammunition to get a dishwasher. Further, as others have said go commercial grade, you will not be sorry.
    I know, don't shoot the messenger, but it kills me that NFPA is used when it fits (ie: a new dishwasher) but is ignored when it's "impractical" (ie: STAFFING). I realize this points to City Hall not most firefighters or Unions. I guess the point is I can't figure out why a city would listen to arguments that NFPA "mandates" anything, unless that particular volume was adopted by the state or municipality. Even then they pick and choose based on dollars not safety.

Forum Member

All of our stations have dishwashers, a couple have 2. Commercial grade is definitely the way to go, simply due to the amount of use they get compared to the one you have at home.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    How many career fire departments out there have a dishwasher in the station. (Save the rookie jokes)

Thanks
    Thats like telling a 12-year old "Don't look in the closet, thats where your birthday presents are hidden."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    We just got done building two new stations. Our architect had a dishwasher drawn into the kitchen. We had it removed. To me a dishwasher is nothing but one more thing for the sorry crew to forget about and someone else have to do. When we eat, we follow the meal with cleaning and washing dishes. It is all done before we sit down. No sense in coming back an hour later to dry and put up dishes. We welcomed the extra cabinet space.
    I am sorry but it is hardly a piece of machinery's fault your crew is either too lazy or forgetful to empty the dishwasher after it is run.

Personally I think you made a huge error in not getting dishwashers. It shows a lack of support for NFPA Standards on your part and you have done what so many do here, or complain about their municipalities doing, pick and choose which standards you want. You want to meet staffing standards of NFPA, but not the station standards...Things that make you go hmmm...

Generally dishes are done one of 2 ways. We do them together as a crew, or we pay someone at $1 a man for them to do them. Most often someone eagerly takes the money to do the dishes, occasionally we deal to see who loses and has to do them. Either way the dishwasher makes quick work of the dishes and rarely does the person doing them forget to put them away. Usually they get put away the next morning so the dry cycle and extra time sitting makes sure they are dry. This system has worked very well for us.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 09-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I am sorry but it is hardly a piece of machinery's fault your crew is either too lazy or forgetful to empty the dishwasher after it is run..
    I agree 100%. That doesn't change reality though.

Personally I think you made a huge error in not getting dishwashers. It shows a lack of support for NFPA Standards on your part and you have done what so many do here, or complain about their municipalities doing, pick and choose which standards you want. You want to meet staffing standards of NFPA, but not the station standards...Things that make you go hmmm....
    [/QUOTE]

You're kidding right? We follow the NFPA standards we can and the ones that are realistic. Do we wish we could follow more of them? Sure. Is someone going to die or not be able to do their job because we don't have a dishwasher? Not hardly.

We have a dishwasher at my career house. We don't use it. If you cook, someone else does dishes. Rank or time on the job doesn't matter. I really didn't know this would be such a topic of debate.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a dishwasher and we use it. Eat lunch, load the dishwasher and run it. Unload before supper, fix dinner, reload it and empty it in the morning when doing morning cleaning. Can't remember the last time anyone forgot to empty it.

Forum Member

All of our stations have dishwashers. The only problem is when the city tried to get by with homeowners grade ones. Commercial is the way to go in the long run. The last station I was at, we used to play Tonk for the pots, pans, and stuff that wouldn't go in the dishwasher, loser washed. It's a great way to build comraderie.

Forum Member

At every house I have ever worked at, volunteered at, buffed at.....regardless of rank- Proby, FF, Loot, Captain, Bn Chief...whatever......if you participated in the meal, you help rinse the dishes, load them in the washer, and help to clean the pots and pans by hand and get the rest of the kitchen squared away after the meal. EXCEPT for the cook and guests. Whoever has the last watch or the junior man empties the dishwasher when it is done or in the morning before end of the shift.

Forum Member

At both work and the volunteer house we have a dishwasher. Normal residential style at work and commercial one at the vollie house.

I'm not sure who makes the commercial one but the thing is unbelieveable. Gotta preheat the thing and it blasts almost anything off in 60 seconds per load.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

have a dishwasher, don't see why you wouldn't want one unless you are looking for a way to kill time. Its nice to come back from a call, inspecting, community event, etc and have clean dishes.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    We just got done building two new stations. Our architect had a dishwasher drawn into the kitchen. We had it removed. To me a dishwasher is nothing but one more thing for the sorry crew to forget about and someone else have to do.
    This baffles me. Seems like a lack of motivation or leadership if the guys are too lazy to unload it. And having one but refusing to use it is even more puzzling. I think I've unloaded the other shift's dishes two or three times in 12 years, and that was because they had a rough night and simply forget to unload it. No harm, no foul.

Anyhoo, back to the OP's question: I've never been assigned to, or volunteered at, a station that didn't have a dishwasher. Sometimes residential grade, sometimes commercial. Depends on budget.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Generally dishes are done one of 2 ways. We do them together as a crew, or we pay someone at $1 a man for them to do them. Most often someone eagerly takes the money to do the dishes, occasionally we deal to see who loses and has to do them. Either way the dishwasher makes quick work of the dishes and rarely does the person doing them forget to put them away. Usually they get put away the next morning so the dry cycle and extra time sitting makes sure they are dry. This system has worked very well for us.
    Wow! I would be a rich if I were paid $1 per man. But seriously?! That's part of the pecking order.

It's usually a reverse order of getting in the sink. If a senior man (or someone senior to you) is in the sink, you kick them out, sometimes by force, and usually comical if they have more mass.

Dishwasher; yes. But pots and pans don't clean themselves or fit in the dishwasher. Never seen a firehouse/station without one, east, west and various points in between.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 09-28-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Forum Member

We do not have a dishwasher yet but have been looking into getting one.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Thread Information