Forum Member

Default TrainingDivision.com

hi Guys,
    So I am going to TD on October 12, 2012. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I am doing fire fighter 1 and 2, as well as the first responder while i am down there so I can get my IFSAC seals. I started the book work back in Sept 2011. It took me about 3-4 months for fire academy and about 3 months for First Responder. Now that I am reviewing I relize I dont remember as much as I feel I should.

From someone that has been there, can you tell me what the days are like? What am I in for?

I have done alot of research to find this out and noone has actually wrote it out. Can someone please help I am sure this question gets asked alot. Thanks
    Travis

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ssivart View Post
    hi Guys,
    So I am going to TD on October 12, 2012. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I am doing fire fighter 1 and 2, as well as the first responder while i am down there so I can get my IFSAC seals. I started the book work back in Sept 2011. It took me about 3-4 months for fire academy and about 3 months for First Responder. Now that I am reviewing I relize I dont remember as much as I feel I should.

From someone that has been there, can you tell me what the days are like? What am I in for?

I have done alot of research to find this out and noone has actually wrote it out. Can someone please help I am sure this question gets asked alot. Thanks
    Travis
    Have known a few people that went through td and never heard nothing bad

Did not ask specifics, but some pt, normal fire academy training, prep for the tx skills test

On the written for that state test you only have to hit 70 %!!!!

Are you in Texas???

Forum Member

No, Im in Pensacola. lol
    ya i know, IFSAC seals are no good in Florida but i just recently moved here and I am hoping to get in with DOD. I am prepared to move where ever the work is tho.

Forum Member

Well if you are going to go through TD , than look at texas

There are normaly job openings all the time

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Do not know what got you interested in dod but would suggest apply at cities first

Dod is still working 72 hr work weeks

Forum Member

I will move where ever, Im ready to go. I am wanting to stay DOD primarily because I already have a few years vested. But not being DOD is not a deal breaker. I appreciate the link for the jobs. From reading that I see the next obsticle is going to be that I am going to need my EMT-B at min. Through Training Division I will have my First Responder. From your experience, will that be enough?

If any one has any questions as far as the course goes I can anwser alot of your questions. Have not been to the bootcamp tho. I fly out in 9 days. If anyone has any input as far as the bootcamp goes PLEEEASE let ME now. THANK YOU!

Forum Member

There Are a lot of departments in Texas where u don't need any certs fyi

Forum Member

No certs at all? what good to the depatment would you be if you werent certified to do anything?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ssivart View Post
    I will move where ever, Im ready to go. I am wanting to stay DOD primarily because I already have a few years vested. But not being DOD is not a deal breaker. I appreciate the link for the jobs. From reading that I see the next obsticle is going to be that I am going to need my EMT-B at min. Through Training Division I will have my First Responder. From your experience, will that be enough?

If any one has any questions as far as the course goes I can anwser alot of your questions. Have not been to the bootcamp tho. I fly out in 9 days. If anyone has any input as far as the bootcamp goes PLEEEASE let ME now. THANK YOU!
    are you a dod employee now, just not in the fire dept???

most tx depts want at least emt-b and if you can get paramedic, you test against a lot less people, where the dept wants paramedic

not sure what depts do not requie a cert, I know fort worth, dallas, arlington, and san antonio are ones that will hire you off the street with not much more than a high school diploma.

but then you are competing against a couple of thousand people instead of say one hundred or less

say hello to Chief Watson when you get to TD

and hopefuly you can watch the Rangers in the playoffs while you are here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

The departments put u through their academy and emt school. once u finish training then u will be assigned to operations as a probationary firefighter. While u are in training u get paid ur entry level firefighter salary for whatever city u work for. Dallas, fort worth, Arlington, garland, Plano, Irving, Carrollton, mesquite, Austin, Houston, San Antonio are all cities in Texas who do not require any certs. I got on with one of these departments and all I had was emt-b cert although I didn't need it bc I have to go thru it again which I'm doing now. There are guys in my class that have fire and emt cert and still have to go thru the city's emt school and academy.

Forum Member

In response to fire49 comment, since you are getting your fire cert soon, all you will need to get hired onto a smaller dept in texas is your emt-b...you won't need paramedic with fire/emt-b cert. I would try to get a job with those certs first b/c paramedic school is expensive and long (6 to 14 months) depending on if you go to school full time or part time, and you might end up getting a job with what you have and if you do you would have to withdraw from paramedic school anyway so that would be a waste (happened to 2 guys in my class). just my opinion. Most guys end up getting on a small department only to try to get on with one of the larger departments anyway b/c of the opportunity for advancement and you just see way more in a larger department. For smaller depts yes you are going against less people, but you all are competing for 1 or 2 slots...for larger depts yes you are going against possible thousands but they look to hire more (Dallas hired 200 last year and 90 this year, fort worth hired like 30 something, arlington hired 26, garland hired 10, Austin is looking to hire 80 in their process now, and so forth)... alot of those thousands of people are way under prepared for the grueling hiring process b/c the requirements are so low (high school diploma). If you prepare yourself for each step in the hiring process u will outshine those few thousands who just applied b/c it was an open position advertised and they are just looking for a job...I personally attended and got study material from Don McNea fire prep school to study for the written portion of the exam for particular cities and BC Lepore's Smoke your Firefighter Interview book to prepare for the oral board, and of course trained vigorously to prepare for the physical agility test that you have to pass for each department if you make it to that step. These were key in me getting hired on and I was competing against people with paramedic, fire certs, and actual firefighter experience. All I have is a bachelors degree and emt-b cert, no firefighter or ambulance experience. So it's possible to get on to a larger department if you put in the work. Sorry so long of a response by the way....lol

Thread Information