Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By legos.8ty7

Thread: Lace up vs Slip on Structure boots

Forum Member

Default Lace up vs Slip on Structure boots

Hello brothers and sisters. I have been looking at getting a pair of lace up style structure firefighting boots. Currently I have the slip on leather type boots. I have 3 different pairs that I have been wearing. ( 1 for each dept I work at) 1 dept I have the globe extreme, other 2 are pro warringtons ( 2 different models though)

The reason why I'm looking and trying to find info and reviews on lace up style boots is when I wear the boots I have now for a few hours ( 2 hr min) I get blisters on both sides of my ankles on both feet. The boots wear great, but for some reason I get blisters after a few hours of wear. Also, I just got hired with a new dept full time and they mandate every one to go through their recruit school (ff 1 and 2) Doesnt matter if you have been on the job for 20 years, you still have to go through it. So, I will be in turn out gear for long periods of time so im looking for something comfy.

I was looking at the globe style zip ups, or the Fire flash Xtremes by haix.

My biggest concern with the zip up style boots is im sure they are going to make us do 2 min drill for donning PPE. I feel as these sytle boots might slow me down some. I wear size 14, so sliding my boots "through my pant leg" might not work.

Thank you

Forum Member

I wear Globe zip up structurals and so far no real complaints. Yes donnin can be a little slower but by putting a small metal ring on a piece of paracord I can zip them down about 3/4 of the way and zip them up with ease. One thing to think about us how loose your bunker pants are around your ankle/calves. If you have alot of free room there you can get a bit of a gap in between the boots and pants. Another thing is that the Globes at least don't have handles to grab. Meaning you have to grab the boot and muscle your feet in, it can be a bit of a pain at 3am. And when you zip them up point your toes like you would f you got up on tip toe, makes zipping easier.
    All that being said I love the boots. More comfortable than any bunker boots or any oter boot I've ever worn, vibram soles, a the leather breaks in nicely and has great flexibility.

Hope that helps

Forum Member

Sounds like you have a serious fit problem with your current boots. Buying new zip on boots might be an expensive fix. Where are the blisters forming? What have you tried to do to stop it? Maybe the current boots aren't the right size.

Forum Member

To continue on what Powelltd said: I got the Globe 12" zips as well and probably wont wear any other boot, best boot I've ever wore. The zips slow me down by maybe 2-3 seconds, no big deal. You could also take the zipper off and just lace them.

I would just use one of your slip on pairs for school. Thorogood 10" zippers are good too, the zipper is real easy, but I like the support of the Globe's.
    Powelltd likes this.

Forum Member

First, congrats on your new appointment.

Are you required to, or have the option of supplying your own boots? I'm just saying that if I were an instructor or a fellow recruit in your drill school, I'd be inclined to single you out if you showed up in a better pair of boots than my issued pair.

I had the same issue as you once with the blisters, but that was because I got caught in the shower and jumped in my drops with no socks on. Then the still alarm turned into a 3rd alarm commercial.

If your boots are doing that to you then either your socks are not thick enough or tall enough. Either way, with your shoe size, I can guarantee you that you're not going to get your foot through your drops even if you greased that boot. You'll be hard pressed to get your gear on in under a minute if you decide to go with zip up boots.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Actually Snowball once the boots break in and you get used to it, it's pretty easy donning Zip Ups. Alot of guys look at me crazy when I wear mine but bunking up is a sinch with practice. But that's a really good point about standing out. You don't want to stand out with shiny new boots if its against sop brother.
    That being said I tried on a pair of globe pull ons and the extra two inches and the globe quality make me consider buying them instead of the zips next time. But my current pair will have to be pretty destroyed before they're retired.

Forum Member

agree as well with snowball about the boots in the academy now that i think about it. but again like powelltd, donning with zippers are easy with practice. it is different the first couple of times.

Thread Information