Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By BhmJeep
  • 2 Post By Tommyrhodes
  • 1 Post By slackjawedyokel
  • 1 Post By JayDudley
  • 1 Post By captnjak

Thread: Firefighter Posers and when are you considered a REAL firefighter?

Forum Member

Default Firefighter Posers and when are you considered a REAL firefighter?

This is actually 2 questions about me.

A little more than a year ago I started volunteering at our local career/volunteer fire department. I love it. I go to every drill night I can (about 95%) and just finished my "160" Certified Volunteer Fire Fighter training. I always work my 24 hour minimum shift hours, usually more. I take great pride in what I do and what I am trying to represent. I definitely pull my weight and show respect everyone else in the department.

I have a full time "regular" job that I have no intention of quitting or any ideals of becoming a career FF. I'm 47 years old and just want to help my community and give back because I was not always the best human / person earlier in my life.

My question is, am I a poser Firefighter? A Firefighter wanna be? If not, do I call my self a Firefighter, Volunteer Firefighter? Am I "allowed" to be considered part of the brotherhood?

I don't really care what regular folks think of me or call me. I just don't want to disrespect the traditions (a lot of the culture and close-mindedness I can do without).

Thanks for your time,

Jeep.

Forum Member

Have you fulfilled all initial training requirements and completed your probation period as set by your organization and accepted according to these requirements as a full member? If so, you are a firefighter.

As far as the brotherhood, there is no distinction between career or volunteer or professional.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Our probationary period is one year and you must pass FF1 and BLS. I have done all of that and even take extra courses at the state fire college (2 day SCBA Smoke Dive, and Ropes and HA Rescue).

So yes, I have passed all requirements and them some. I just know a lot of guys out there that say they are Volleys but only show up once a year for renewal or respond to structure fires. I don't wanna be that guy.

I dunno, I just feel like I haven't paid my dues to earn the title of a Firefighter. I do everything the career guys do (But only 24-36 hours a month) and bust my (old) *** to out do the "kids".

I have been first and second into a structure fire, put out several car-b-ques and ran on heart attacks, strokes, etc... I guess after a couple of years I will "feel" it but I do not ever want to disrespect the service by calling my self a Firefighter unless I really am.

I guess I shoud STFU, man up, not give a shirt what others think.
    I am my own man.

Jeep
    Last edited by BhmJeep; 09-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    EGregory likes this.

Forum Member

Thank you for volunteering

To me you are a firefighter

Just a matter if you will keep the enthusiasm going!! And learning

Forum Member

deleted...................
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

You're either a career firefighter or a volunteer firefighter. Either way, "firefighter" is in the title. Like others have said, if you've finished the proper training required and completed your probationary period, you are a firefighter. Irregardless of being paid or not, you do the same things when the call comes in.

As far as not paying your dues, you can't jump into it and expect everything to be done. "Paying your dues" is the best part of the job. It's all about the journey, not the destination.

Forum Member

Requirements for the title of Firefighter vary from department to department.

If you have met and continue to meet the requirements of your agency, you are a firefighter.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Do you, or do you not have a moustache? Seems to me like that's the only important factor here.
    FFEMT3634 and Ceec902 like this.

Forum Member

Hey,

I understand how you are feeling. After handling your probie time and training being on a volley dept even a combination dept. You have your time in Brother.

Here is a quote from I believe FDNY Lt. Metcalf to a class of probies. ''You AIN'T in the brotherhood. You ain't in the brotherhood until the brothers at the firehouse SAY you're in the brotherhood. There's a big difference and you have to understand that."

So listen to the brother here when they tell you. Your in the brotherhood.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

A real firefighter is one that wants to train and stays out of volunteer drama. I don't judge my volunteers based on what they can or can't do on scene. I do place value on their general attitude and willingness to learn.

Poser firefighters are usually volunteers that join for other reasons like political/social advancement, they usually don't find the time to train but they usually always have a negative opinion on the department while they have no desire to better themselves or those around them.

New firefighters are usually gung-ho, they can be posers or have the potential to be excellent volunteers. They usually have huge custom decals on their back glass of their personal vehicle that advertises to the world that they are a firefighter, they are attracted to flashy lights and get overly excited at the opportunity to run lights and siren. This is usually a phase that lasts about a year or less.

Sounds to me like you are more concerned with being labeled as a newbie than a poser. From what I've heard you are not posing in the least bit and most likely have the respect of of the established firefighters in your department. Stay safe and keep at it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BhmJeep View Post
    This is actually 2 questions about me.

A little more than a year ago I started volunteering at our local career/volunteer fire department. I love it. I go to every drill night I can (about 95%) and just finished my "160" Certified Volunteer Fire Fighter training. I always work my 24 hour minimum shift hours, usually more. I take great pride in what I do and what I am trying to represent. I definitely pull my weight and show respect everyone else in the department.

I have a full time "regular" job that I have no intention of quitting or any ideals of becoming a career FF. I'm 47 years old and just want to help my community and give back because I was not always the best human / person earlier in my life.

My question is, am I a poser Firefighter? A Firefighter wanna be? If not, do I call my self a Firefighter, Volunteer Firefighter? Am I "allowed" to be considered part of the brotherhood?

I don't really care what regular folks think of me or call me. I just don't want to disrespect the traditions (a lot of the culture and close-mindedness I can do without).

Thanks for your time,

Jeep.
    You will not be a "poser" when you realize its all about doing the job to the absolute best of your ability, and you don't give a rats @ss about what anyone thinks.
    bcjack likes this.
    ?

Forum Member

I've been in for a 1 1/4th years, I def can understand how you feel.

I felt more and more like a "real" firefighter as I was faced with challenges and performed. The first time I saw fire, the first time I went into a burning home, the first time a medic told me "Take over CPR" and I took over without hesitation, the first time I rode officer on the engine, those things.

Give it time.

Forum Member

Default Poser

Thank you and others who take the time to Volunteer. The fire service is a better place with you all in it. If you volunteer and are there to help by all means you are "NOT" a poser and one of us. This comes from a 30 year plus paid firefighter and now retired.
    bcjack likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I think your attitude alone gets you out of the "poser" category.

I disagree with the member who posted that you shouldn't "give a rat's @ss" about what anyone thinks. I believe that earning the respect of your brother firefighters is one of the most important steps to becoming a firefighter.

I f you haven't earned that respect yet, I'm sure you are well on the way. Good Luck!
    SL425 likes this.

Thread Information