Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: City of Richmond, VA - 2012 Fire Recruit

Forum Member

Mine says 1/5/13 also, was hoping for a little more time! I will be coming from Texas so I hope I can afford the 2 or 3 trips up.
    Does anyone involved with the department know if they have any preference for guys with degrees and Volunteer experience as a FF/ EMT? I am hoping to make an informed decision whether to buy a ticket today.

Thanks for all the help!

Forum Member

Greetings everyone,

JANUARY 5th, 2013 at 8AM!!!

While I'm very excited that I finally got a test date (I applied at the very beginning of the process), I'm kind of disappointed in reports of low quality of life/morale in the department. Any Richmond FFs want to chime in on this? I'm fully committed to becoming a career fire fighter, but I also would like to be able to support my family.

PMs would be appreciated if you don't feel comfortable posting publicly.

Thanks,

VJ

Forum Member

just a heads up to everybody there is a practice test on their website. You can get their by using the link in the email
    Last edited by Pugsley67; 12-19-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Forum Member

Haha great Q's!

Forum Member

Any word on how long the list will be good for and how many they are looking to hire?

Also, it seems a few have hinted at low morale or "pursue other options." Is there anyone with the department that would be willing to elaborate here or in a PM?
    Last edited by bhovig; 12-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    aturcotte0310 likes this.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley67 View Post
    So i have the same test date but anyone know where the test is?
    On the email you received today, there is a link near the bottom. If you click on that link it will take you to a page that gives the location, time, and some other helpful information. Good luck to all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFR View Post
    On the email you received today, there is a link near the bottom. If you click on that link it will take you to a page that gives the location, time, and some other helpful information. Good luck to all!
    See you all on the 5th!

Forum Member

Hey all, was wondering if anyone has heard how many people the department is seeking to hire. If anyone knows, please share! Good luck everyone
    aturcotte0310 likes this.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

I was hoping someone who has taken this test before might provide a little more insight on the WSI portion of the test. I understand this will be a personailty based section, so will it have strongly agree, agree, neuteral, etc. type answears? Can you compare it to another test?

I understand these tests companies often make you sign a confidentiualy agreement. To be clear, I no way am asking anyone to give out proprietary information.

Thanks!

Forum Member

The practice test from the website has a couple of example questions on it, dunno if you have looked at it but i think it might answer your question.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. The practice test seems to only reference the CEB portion of the test. Where it discuess the WSI portion it states "There is no preparation for the WSI". It says the WSI measures perosnality traits. The CEB measures reading ability, mathmattecial reasoning, and interpersonal competencies.

MembersZone Subscriber

For people who are curious about whether to test or not go back and read my comments on this thread. If you already have a career job your wasting your time coming here. If you Dont have a paid job then youd be stupid not to test.

But be warned, everything the RFD does is based off of diversity. Hiring, station assignments, crew assignments, promotions, commititees, all based on cultural diversity. We just promoted 4 white male Lts and thats because the chief already had promoted all the available miniorities on the list.

do your homework.....

PPH
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD995 View Post
    If you already have a career job your wasting your time coming here.
    Mind if I ask why? Also, what is their retirement like?

Forum Member

PPH,

I was definitely going to test, as RFD is aggressive but the big thing for me was benefits. Retirement sounded good but the kicker is the guys on the line are paying 700 a month for medical insurance and they haven't had raises in like 5 or 6 years. That quote came directly from the lady at human resources and she was quoting for a member with family. Good luck in your decision. RFD thanks for commenting on the thread.

Forum Member

So what I'm seeing from various threads and different sources are:

1. Low pay, no raises in years.
    2. High medical premiums
    3. Aggressive department
    4. Promotions are based around race
    5. Low morale

Does anyone else want to chime in more in depth here? I'm testing and committing regardless, I just want to know more about the department.

Forum Member

So applicants did receive emails? I didn't seem to get one and ckd spam however my govjobs acct says I'm scheduled for this one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steve929 View Post
    So applicants did receive emails? I didn't seem to get one and ckd spam however my govjobs acct says I'm scheduled for this one.
    The email the city sends you congratulates the acceptance of your application and links you to this:

http://library.constantcontact.com/d....2012FINAl.pdf

Keep in mind, I'm scheduled for the morning. Make sure to check your specific test time.

Forum Member

Thank you sir!

Forum Member

How'd the test go for everyone?

The test proctor stated there were 3076 applicants.
    The department seeks to start a recruit class of 18 in late April. No word of any other hiring needs.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by vegajuarez View Post
    How'd the test go for everyone?

The test proctor stated there were 3076 applicants.
    The department seeks to start a recruit class of 18 in late April. No word of any other hiring needs.
    I felt good about the test, but you never know with those personality sections. Also, just thought it was worth noting, the BC said that 3076 applied, but only around 1200 -1300 took the test. Not bad odds for getting an interview if they take 300 like the last test in 2009.

How'd everyone else feel the test went? Does any one know how they will grade the WSI portion of the test? I saw the gave a percentage breakdown for the CEB, but nothing for the WSI.
    Last edited by IFR; 01-07-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Thread Information