Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: City of Richmond, VA - 2012 Fire Recruit

Forum Member

How did everyone answer the most/least appropriate questions, pretty much the choices came down to do/say nothing, talk to the person, talk to other people or rat to the chief. I just wasnt sure what would be the best answer they were looking for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I feel pretty good about the exam...I was very surprised to hear about the amount of applicants that didn't show up. But, thats good for the rest of us. I was surprised by the amount of personality questions and lack of math/writing! I'm not sure how the questions are graded either, guess we'll find out soon enough. 18 out of 1200 really isn't bad odds compared to some other places.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by buck4502 View Post
    I feel pretty good about the exam...I was very surprised to hear about the amount of applicants that didn't show up. But, thats good for the rest of us. I was surprised by the amount of personality questions and lack of math/writing! I'm not sure how the questions are graded either, guess we'll find out soon enough. 18 out of 1200 really isn't bad odds compared to some other places.
    Was there only 1200 test takers? I took the morning session so I have no idea how many tested in the afternoon.

Also, what does everyone's application status read on government jobs? Mine still says "test scheduled".
    Last edited by vegajuarez; 01-11-2013 at 12:28 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by vegajuarez View Post
    Was there only 1200 test takers? I took the morning session so I have no idea how many tested in the afternoon.

Also, what does everyone's application status read on government jobs?
    Yeah, they said in the afternoon session that just over 1200 people showed up (500'ish in the morning and 600'ish in the afternoon)

While you applied for this test, did any of the testers visit any of the houses and talk to the members to see what the city and the fire department is all about?

The current administration is for minorities and will fill vacancies with them if at all possible. They did make 6 non minorities, white men, officers, only because the vacancies existed and the needed to fill these position to hire for their vacancies.

Look around and you'll see members leaving going to other departments within the state to have better jobs and working conditions. Richmond hasn't given any raises for several years and cut out merit step increases years back.

No, I don't have an axe to grind. I am not or have not been a member of the department, which at one time, was the finest and best ran in the Commonwealth. I retired for a department in the northern part of the Commonwealth, but have a lot of ties with members in Richmond.

Don't take my word for it. Talk to the members, the Local, and other who have served the city.
    Last edited by Jonnee; 01-14-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Forum Member

My status on NEOGOV is still test scheduled. They said we would hear something back in about 2 weeks. Fingers crossed im picked to go to the interview phase!! I find it very discouraging that they are so quick to hire minorities over experience, ill admit being a female I am hoping for that to give me some edge. Best of luck everyone!! Btw did anyone from the morning test notice that they locked the doors at 0730 instead of 0800??

Forum Member

My status on NEOGOV is still test scheduled. They said we would hear something back in about 2 weeks. Fingers crossed im picked to go to the interview phase!! I find it very discouraging that they are so quick to hire minorities over experience, ill admit being a female I am hoping for that to give me some edge Best of luck everyone!! Btw did anyone from the morning test notice that they locked the doors at 0730 instead of 0800??

I bolded that because in a truly merit run society, the only edge you have is your experience and score not your gender.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    My status on NEOGOV is still test scheduled. They said we would hear something back in about 2 weeks. Fingers crossed im picked to go to the interview phase!! I find it very discouraging that they are so quick to hire minorities over experience, ill admit being a female I am hoping for that to give me some edge Best of luck everyone!! Btw did anyone from the morning test notice that they locked the doors at 0730 instead of 0800??

I bolded that because in a truly merit run society, the only edge you have is your experience and score not your gender.
    The problem with having absolutely no diversity, especially in government, is that it creates an organization that is out of touch with its community. While I do applaud Richmond for emphasizing the importance of diversity, it is kind of silly to make it the #1 priority in hiring and promoting needs.

Forum Member

The problem with having absolutely no diversity, especially in government, is that it creates an organization that is out of touch with its community. While I do applaud Richmond for emphasizing the importance of diversity, it is kind of silly to make it the #1 priority in hiring and promoting needs.
    In order to reflect the best of its community, it needs the best regardless of community. Government has more diversity than most private industry outside of entry level jobs its certain departments inside government that while not reflecting the community should not be held to do so in order to reflect the best of its community. The fairest system is the merit system and that is something that can never be out of touch with society since it has been used in society for ages before the modern error.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    In order to reflect the best of its community, it needs the best regardless of community. Government has more diversity than most private industry outside of entry level jobs its certain departments inside government that while not reflecting the community should not be held to do so in order to reflect the best of its community. The fairest system is the merit system and that is something that can never be out of touch with society since it has been used in society for ages before the modern error.
    Exactly, " doesnt reflect the community". how about you have the best and most qualified person in the position. It doesn't matter what race or gender you are if you are the most qualified and can actually perform the job you are hired to do then you should get the job.
    DJ_Reverse likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley67 View Post
    Exactly, " doesnt reflect the community". how about you have the best and most qualified person in the position. It doesn't matter what race or gender you are if you are the most qualified and can actually perform the job you are hired to do then you should get the job.
    You can be the best qualified white fire fighting male in the city, but its not going to help you when your trying to communicate with a Hispanic family that doesn't speak English trying to tell you where their infant daughter is trapped in a building. Maybe you'll encounter a black family who really doesn't trust a white guy handling her kids.

In positions where there is such a crucial emphasis on effective communication with a diverse population (firefighters and police especially), it is necessary to have a diverse organization to better protect and serve.

I'll state it again however, it is silly to make diversification a number 1 hiring/promoting priority, its just a factor an organization should keep in mind.

Forum Member

You can be the best qualified white fire fighting male in the city, but its not going to help you when your trying to communicate with a Hispanic family that doesn't speak English trying to tell you where their infant daughter is trapped in a building. Maybe you'll encounter a black family who really doesn't trust a white guy handling her kids.

In positions where there is such a crucial emphasis on effective communication with a diverse population (firefighters and police especially), it is necessary to have a diverse organization to better protect and serve.

I'll state it again however, it is silly to make diversification a number 1 hiring/promoting priority, its just a factor an organization should keep in mind.
    Did not know this was the year 1967 where everyone thinks the white male is trying to keep them down. This is 2013 and if tradgedy strikes as a white male I don't really care who saves me or my family just that they will. Hate to say it but the language barrier is also overcome by tragedy or intense stiuations. If you still believe a PD or FD should reflect the community it serves then why are most city workers in social services a certain race when social services is all races. It should not be a factor in a society that has a black president, female pilots, male secretaries, and great people of all races. If you want the job you want the job you're gender, race, religion, or culture should not have anything to do with it, and if you believe it does then you're part of the problem of why we cannot move foward as a nation no matter what side of those aforementioned fences you are on. Because last time I helped someone, they didn't care I was white, they cared that I was right. Two different extremes.
    CFD11 likes this.

Forum Member

Top 139 got called for an interview. Anyone else hear anything?

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Did the top 139 get phone calls, or emails? Do you know if they are done calling everyone?

Forum Member

A friend of mine called HR yesterday and they told him replys were going to be made by email only. No phone calls were going to be made.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

I wonder why they only took half the number they did last year to the ranking interview. Last year they took 309 if I remember correctly.

Forum Member

this is only for the first class i believe

Forum Member

The e-mail said the eligibility list will be based on how well we score on the interview, then ranked 1-139.

MembersZone Subscriber

They probably only took the top 139 bc of budget restraints. It costs money to interview so many people. Also there are only 2 classes planned right now one starting in mid to late april and the next starting in november or december. Good luck to everyone who got an interview.

Forum Member

So has anyone received a call or email stating test scores and where you sit within the hiring process?

Thread Information