Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Career Advancement in New Department

Question about applying for chief officer jobs particularly out of state. I'm beginning to pay attention to job posting for chief officer jobs. Many of these postings are national postings for out of state chief, assistant or deputy jobs.

If a candidate applies and makes the first cut there is usually a test and interview component. Seeing these components could be held across the country and given the department is seeking candidates from across the country does the testing department pay for travel expenses for the candidates they are inviting to continue in the process? Does anyone have experience with this?

I'd like to apply for a couple more positions out of state but can't afford to make a cut of a dozen or more applicants and then pay airfare, hotel and rental car. It gets discouraging when I make a cut and spend the funds only to find out an internal candidate got the job after all.

What's customary?

Thanks

Forum Member

With today's economy unless you are going for a big dept fire chief job

More than likely you pay

Forum Member

You could do a call to hr and not use your name to find out

MembersZone Subscriber Chief_Roy's Avatar

I flew all over the country when I was going for the top job. I had to pay my own way on about 75% of them. Departments usually won't consider paying for travel expenses unless you're a finalist, and sometimes not even then. I made the top 3 at a fairly large and well known suburban department, and they advised me they weren't paying for any travel expenses for finalists. The HR person told me after the interview that they had several other finalists in mind but they all dropped out when told their travel expenses weren't being paid. So if you want that top job bad enough, you may have to look at it more as an investment. Check with an accountant too because in some cases you can claim deductions for job searching expenses, even if you're still employed.

I had a mentor friend of mine tell me what to expect when looking for an admin job. He said getting a chief's job followed the "rule of sevens." For every seven apps you send out, you'll get one reply. For every seven replies you get, you'll get one interview. For every seven interviews, you'll make it as a finalist once. For every seven times as a finalist, you'll get one job offer. My experience was pretty spot on with the exception that it only took me four times as a finalist to get a job offer.
    Last edited by Chief_Roy; 10-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, departments will NOT pay for your travel (at least here in California). I can tell you though that there will be a HUGE opportunity for people who want to come to Ca. for a Chief position. The recent pension reform will have a monumental impact on people liek me who are Chief officers and are looking to move around. Out of staters and people who are not in CAL PERS (California Public Employees Retirement System) will have an open field!!!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    AspiringFireofficers.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to hear what others had experienced. I just have to be ready to spend money traveling across country only to see the insider get the job anyway. That in itself is discouraging.

BCLepore are you saying it's difficult for a CA chief to move to another department? What about just going into a different pension plan like IMRF? That's what they do in IL.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ben,
    I am not sure I understand your question. I was a BC on a large metro California department for 5 years and took a Division Chief job on a neighboring department. After 3 years I can tell you that I am very pleased with my decision. I do miss some great work firends, however, I really like the increased pay and responsibility.
    In my case, both department were PERS, although I went from a 3% at 50 to a 3% at 55. The pay increase was well worth the retirement changes as my salary is based on my single highest year.
    I hope I have answered your questions.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    AspiringFireOfficers.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information