Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Probably a probie question...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    You still sound like a jackass... I've been on my Volly department for 5 years, no lights on my vehicle? Your not in your department, and you're already ordering stuff...

Maybe they have their act together and thats why your not a member...
    I believe he said he has not ordered anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    You still sound like a jackass... I've been on my Volly department for 5 years, no lights on my vehicle? Your not in your department, and you're already ordering stuff...

Maybe they have their act together and thats why your not a member...
    i said i hdnt ordered anything like 3 times. im gona wait until i join the dept or maybe i wont if they are still ate up. idk why you are calling me names, ive not called anyone here a name abt anything since i joined...that tells me al i need to know about you sir good day

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by BurninLuv View Post
    i said i hdnt ordered anything like 3 times. im gona wait until i join the dept or maybe i wont if they are still ate up. idk why you are calling me names, ive not called anyone here a name abt anything since i joined...that tells me al i need to know about you sir good day
    Let me give you my perspective, and I will try not to attack you personally.

The simple facts are these, you aren't even on the department yet, and it seems you either don't know who to ask, or won't be assertive enough to ask what the heck is going on, and you post here about lights for your POV. The issue is too many people post here about their thermo nuclear powered left handed Winkleborfler LED strobes and their wannabe Federal Q's for their POVs yet they can't donn their SCBA within 2 minutes, they don't know where the tools are on the rig, they couldn't pull a preconnect with a mule, and they don't have time to go to fire classes.

Honestly if I had my way and I interviewed candidates for the FD and they asked me about lights for their car in the interview I would look them straight in the eye at the end of the interview and say "No thank you, you aren't what we are looking for." It's ALL about priorities and lights for your POV should be somewhere near the bottom of the list.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Something tells me that this thread will not end well...
    DeputyMarshal likes this.

i got that i wont do anything with lights unless i join or they have me or whatevs i promise your right its the trng not the lights thts important and i will stick to that. i will say that i didnt start this thread some1 else asked about lights i only said it was on my mind but i was NOT buying any yet i will stay focussed on trng if i join and not wory abt lights

i went to the mtg last night and iwas annoyed they called role and called my name and i said here and they asked how mny times id been coming and i TOLD them 4 but they said the role only said 2 so i hada come back 1 more time to officailly join nxt month i didnt evn know they were taking role bfore (no 1 called my name bfore) so i gues all those times i came up aftr the meeting and askd q's i wasnt realy 'there.' WTF?!?!?

i got that i wont do anything with lights unless i join or they have me or whatevs i promise your right its the trng not the lights thts important and i will stick to that. i will say that i didnt start this thread some1 else asked about lights i only said it was on my mind but i was NOT buying any yet i will stay focussed on trng if i join and not wory abt lights

i went to the mtg last night and iwas annoyed they called role and called my name and i said here and they asked how mny times id been coming and i TOLD them 4 but they said the role only said 2 so i hada come back 1 more time to officailly join nxt month i didnt evn know they were taking role bfore (no 1 called my name bfore) so i gues all those times i came up aftr the meeting and askd q's i wasnt realy 'there.' WTF?!?!?
    Not to attack you personally, just a friendly word of advice. You should learn how to use real, full words. Using the abbreviations you do makes you look completely uneducated, and there is no way I would consider hiring you if I saw the way you typed on the internet. You can't do a fire or EMS report the way you type here, so why use it here? It only takes a few extra keystrokes to type "training" instead of "trng" and "that's" instead of "thts". Again, not trying to attack or say you are uneducated, just saying that the way you're typing on here portrays that, and laziness.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Not to attack you personally, just a friendly word of advice. You should learn how to use real, full words. Using the abbreviations you do makes you look completely uneducated, and there is no way I would consider hiring you if I saw the way you typed on the internet. You can't do a fire or EMS report the way you type here, so why use it here? It only takes a few extra keystrokes to type "training" instead of "trng" and "that's" instead of "thts". Again, not trying to attack or say you are uneducated, just saying that the way you're typing on here portrays that, and laziness.

I have to agree with this. Writing correctly is so easy and looks better than the "cell phone" writing which the younger folks have learned to do.

I don't imagine that you wrote like this in high school, and maybe you did and are still in there, trying to get out with a diploma.

In the fire service, there are many reports and forms which have to be written and filled out every day. Doing a short cut on words does not cut it. These are legal documents which must be kept for twenty years or so and yes they can be subpoena to court. If you wrote like you do today and have to appear on the stand in 10 years and explain what you wrote today, you will have a hard time trying to figure it out.

I know most of us do as we read it now.

As far as the lights goes, forget about them, until you have became a full fledge member and have been there awhile, learned everything which you are required to learn and know how to fight fire and the other duties which are required.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

i undrstand what you are saying but why wuld i have to write rpts as a ff? i wnt be a officer or nothing like that ill be a nooby or working a hose or whatevs why wuld i have to write anything? wuldnt the chief do that?

oh and somthing funny abt the meeting after the hoohah abt how many mtgs id been to ltr on in the meeting the "Regulars" got into it abt why there attendence had dropped so much and no body was coming to mtgs!! one membr said that NO OTHR vfd in the area was ao anal abt attendence which was funny since there iam tryin to join and they said i hdnt been there enough!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BurninLuv; 10-05-2012 at 02:39 PM.

i undrstand what you are saying but why wuld i have to write rpts as a ff? i wnt be a officer or nothing like that ill be a nooby or working a hose or whatevs why wuld i have to write anything? wuldnt the chief do that?

oh and somthing funny abt the meeting after the hoohah abt how many mtgs id been to ltr on in the meeting the "Regulars" got into it abt why there attendence had dropped so much and no body was coming to mtgs!! one membr said that NO OTHR vfd in the area was ao anal abt attendence which was funny since there iam tryin to join and they said i hdnt been there enough!!!!!!!
    Ever been to a suspicious fire? Or a fatal fire? Most departments have all members, or at least those on the first arriving rigs, right their own report of what they saw and what they did upon arrival. So in fact you may be the newest of the noobs righting a report on their very first fire.

Write professionally and it becomes second nature.
    Maybe it's not too late

Not to mention that you may become involved with EMS, which has its own set of paperwork.

Unless you intend to remain a bottom-of-the-heap firefighter all your life (and even if you do), you're going to end up writing reports, making entries in logs, and any number of other "work-a-day" writing tasks.

Grammar and syntax are important, no matter what you do. If you're going to be applying for a job, you need to use real, whole words. I can tell you that if your application came across my desk with writing such as you're doing here, it would keep right on going across my desk and into the trashcan.

I'd rather read something written with a few misspellings and malapropisms than the "phonespeak" you're turning out.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

I officially have a splitting headache after "reading" that.
    CaptOldTimer, Chenzo and ATFDFF like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Banned

Why is this a problem? This is the 21st century. People type with short hand on computers. It's as common as the sun coming up each day. Now if he spoke in person that way verbally saying "OMG", that would be a sign of uneducated or just lazy.

I have read all the comments here and others he has made and have fully understood them all. I don't see the need to nit pick about something so minor. I type short hand a lot of times, but when I am doing official paper work I don't. I know the difference. I highly doubt his typing effects his ability to fight a fire. Firefighters have been using short hand for years. EMT, POV, MVA, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I have to agree with this. Writing correctly is so easy and looks better than the "cell phone" writing which the younger folks have learned to do.
    Well, there are a lot of younger people joining these days, and things like this will clash with the old timers that are not accepting to the new ways. Got to accept that things change. In a few years the old timers will be gone and the new younger people will be running the show. Things will be different, and that's not a bad thing.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Nigma; 10-05-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Hey Skippy, this is how you write and what we perceive from it.

i comes on fir dpt and gots my geer and now i is a firmen; i goes to da fir and whip outs the hos and put da wawas on the firs. i doesn't has to right nuttin. i gonna gets me sum lites fer my kar sone.

BTW - did you eat at Red Robin and take the name of one of their bugers for your screen name??

Quote Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
    Why is this a problem? This is the 21st century. People type with short hand on computers. It's as common as the sun coming up each day. Now if he spoke in person that way verbally saying "OMG", that would be a sign of uneducated or just lazy.

I have read all the comments here and others he has made and have fully understood them all. I don't see the need to nit pick about something so minor. I type short hand a lot of times, but when I am doing official paper work I don't. I know the difference. I highly doubt his typing effects his ability to fight a fire. Firefighters have been using short hand for years. EMT, POV, MVA, and so on.
    Because it makes him look incompetent. I hate short hand, even in a text message. If you can't take the time to write using full words and not text speak or short hand, that portrays laziness to me, and my fear would be that the laziness carries out into other aspects of a persons life. I have to agree with Tree, if I was in charge of hiring and an application came across my desk written like he writes here, or written in short hand, it would keep going across my desk into the trashcan.

As far as younger people joining, that's no excuse for not using real words. English, Grammar, and Writing are still taught in school. Use them.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Banned

Because it makes him look incompetent.
    That's opinion.

I hate short hand, even in a text message. If you can't take the time to write using full words and not text speak or short hand, that portrays laziness to me,
    You realize that doctors, lawyers, court reporters, police officers, politicians all write and type in short hand on official documents. It is not a sign of laziness, but a sign of getting the important information down as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I have to agree with Tree, if I was in charge of hiring and an application came across my desk written like he writes here, or written in short hand, it would keep going across my desk into the trashcan.
    And you could be passing on one of the greatest firefighters of all time. Consider this for a moment. A guy comes in to join the department. You know nothing about him other then he just moved to your station (lets say in Boston) from Alabama. He is an older fellow. He fills out the application, but misspells a lot of stuff, and used wrong words such as "no" for "know". He is a modest guy and does not brag about his life. When asked if he has experience, he says he has some, not much. You take his application and judge him based on it. You decline him to join and tell him no thanks.
    Turns out he is a retired fire chief and has been on his home department for 30 years and has seen more fire battles then any man. He has saved several men and has served his community at every chance. But you passed on him based on his writing skills.

Just be careful how you judge someone.
    (nothing wrong with people from Alabama or Boston. Just examples)

I personally do not know this guy, he could be a total slacker and not worth the paper the application is written on, but then he could be a very valuable member. I will say that if he has any hopes of remaining on any department he joins, he needs to drop the attitude of "why wuld i have to write rpts as a ff? i wnt be a officer or nothing like that ill be a nooby or working a hose or whatevs why wuld i have to write anything? wuldnt the chief do that?" No one on a department is a nobody and if you consider yourself to be one, then you will be one and not welcome.

As far as younger people joining, that's no excuse for not using real words. English, Grammar, and Writing are still taught in school. Use them.
    I recently went to my old high school to see a friend. I stopped into the English department to see the teacher. I noticed they did not use paper anymore. Everyone had a laptop. While sitting at his desk he was grading some things. All the "papers" on the computer had some short hand in them. This was not marked off or considered incorrect. It was accepted as "the new way".

Understand that the old ways and new ways can mix and still work. There does not need to be black and white. There is lots of room for grey.

Peace be with you sir.

Frankly, I don't care how young people communicate with each other on their smart phones, or in chat rooms, or on facebook. Sorry, to me it makes him sound as lazy and ignorant as using slang speak when speaking to adults in normal conversation.

EMT, POV, and MVA are all standard industry wide short hand. This is far different than using some of the "kid speak" abbreviations that BurninLuv uses.

Well, there are a lot of younger people joining these days, and things like this will clash with the old timers that are not accepting to the new ways. Got to accept that things change. In a few years the old timers will be gone and the new younger people will be running the show. Things will be different, and that's not a bad thing.

Sorry NO, we don't have to accept this change. Not all change is good or progressive, sometimes it is based in laziness or attempting to look cool. One of the major problems of the world today is forcing the dumbing down of EVERYTHING onto the general populace.

If this is your idea of a good change for the fire service all I can do is shake my head. This is not progressive, it is not going to make the fire service look like the professional service that us "Old Timers" have strived for. No thanks...

Carry on.

I will, doing everything I can to keep lifting to new heights the professionalism of the fire service, and not accepting this kind of nonsense just because the younger generation is too lazy to learn how to spell.
    You have your opinion, I have mine, yours is wrong and makes firefighters look ignorant and lazy. That is not how I want the fire service portrayed. Apparently you are okay with that.
    Maybe it's not too late

That's opinion.

Just like what you believe is YOUR opinion. Frankly, your opinion carries no more or less weight than mine or anyone else's here, no matter how much you wish it to.

You realize that doctors, lawyers, court reporters, police officers, politicians all write and type in short hand on official documents. It is not a sign of laziness, but a sign of getting the important information down as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Frankly, what any other profession does doesn't concern me. Have you ever had to pull out a 5 year old report and refresh your memory before you gave a deposition? I have, and shorthand that is not industry wide recognized is going to be of little or no use to you. Believe me those reports are highly scrutinized by attorneys for both sides.

And you could be passing on one of the greatest firefighters of all time. Consider this for a moment. A guy comes in to join the department. You know nothing about him other then he just moved to your station (lets say in Boston) from Alabama. He is an older fellow. He fills out the application, but misspells a lot of stuff, and used wrong words such as "no" for "know". He is a modest guy and does not brag about his life. When asked if he has experience, he says he has some, not much. You take his application and judge him based on it. You decline him to join and tell him no thanks.
    Turns out he is a retired fire chief and has been on his home department for 30 years and has seen more fire battles then any man. He has saved several men and has served his community at every chance. But you passed on him based on his writing skills.

Um, joining Boston? Dude, seriously, you just took yourself out of the discussion with this ridiculous example. You obviously are NOT a career firefighter, or perhaps not a firefighter at all.

Just be careful how you judge someone.
    (nothing wrong with people from Alabama or Boston. Just examples)

Be careful how ridiculous of an example you use because now I am judging you by your ignorance of the fire service and how you become a member of a career fire department.

I personally do not know this guy, he could be a total slacker and not worth the paper the application is written on, but then he could be a very valuable member. I will say that if he has any hopes of remaining on any department he joins, he needs to drop the attitude of "why wuld i have to write rpts as a ff? i wnt be a officer or nothing like that ill be a nooby or working a hose or whatevs why wuld i have to write anything? wuldnt the chief do that?" No one on a department is a nobody and if you consider yourself to be one, then you will be one and not welcome.

Thanks, for proving my point by agreeing that he looks like an attitudinal punk.

I recently went to my old high school to see a friend. I stopped into the English department to see the teacher. I noticed they did not use paper anymore. Everyone had a laptop. While sitting at his desk he was grading some things. All the "papers" on the computer had some short hand in them. This was not marked off or considered incorrect. It was accepted as "the new way".

He is a lazy teacher allowing his students to be lazy and doing them absolutely NO favor. Once they reach the real world and ther bosses look at them and say "That type of writing is NOT acceptable here." Then what do they do? Thank that teacher for lettting them be slackers? Sorry no, just more examples of dumbing down the populace.

Understand that the old ways and new ways can mix and still work. There does not need to be black and white. There is lots of room for grey.

No, there isn't room for laziness, ignorance, and childish jibberish in the professional work setting. What people do when they communicate with their friends is one thing, what they do at work is another and i see no gray area there at all.

Peace be with you sir.

I know Chenzo very well and I believe he is entirely at peace with himself and the world.
    Have a nice day!
    Maybe it's not too late

Sure - I use industry standard abbreviations all the time on my medical stuff. Note that I said industry standard. It's in our textbooks
    And you could be passing on one of the greatest firefighters of all time. Consider this for a moment. A guy comes in to join the department. You know nothing about him other then he just moved to your station (lets say in Boston) from Alabama. He is an older fellow. He fills out the application, but misspells a lot of stuff, and used wrong words such as "no" for "know". He is a modest guy and does not brag about his life. When asked if he has experience, he says he has some, not much. You take his application and judge him based on it.
    There was a fellow who posted for a while on a railroad forum I visit frequently. His spelling and grammar were not top notch, to say the least. However he had the respect of every member of the forum because he spoke the truth, as they say. But he didn't use "phone speak." He just fractured the Queen's English on a regular basis.
    I'm with the others - unless it's "industry standard" (like EMT, etc), words should be spelled out, and correctly. That the students were using computers makes the "phonespeak" argument even weaker. All the keys are there and if they've had any training in typing or "keyboarding," they should be able to rip through whole words with no problem.

Maybe the problem is that the kids are learning to "phonespeak." It would take me longer to misspell all the words in a sentence than to write/type it out correctly. That English teacher is doing his/her students a grave disservice by not holding them to accepted standards.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    MT, POV, and MVA are all standard industry wide short hand. This is far different than using some of the "kid speak" abbreviations that BurninLuv uses.
    Times change. New standards come into effect.

You have your opinion, I have mine, yours is wrong and makes firefighters look ignorant and lazy. That is not how I want the fire service portrayed. Apparently you are okay with that.
    Your opinion that my opinion is wrong makes you wrong. You are stuck in the old ways. You have trouble adapting to the new times. Sorry but we don't use bucket brigade any more. It's obsolete, Same with language. Have to get used to it, or fade out like the dinosaurs.

Frankly, what any other profession does doesn't concern me.
    That is obvious

Have you ever had to pull out a 5 year old report and refresh your memory before you gave a deposition? I have, and shorthand that is not industry wide recognized is going to be of little or no use to you. Believe me those reports are highly scrutinized by attorneys for both sides.
    Yet.

Be careful how ridiculous of an example you use because now I am judging you by your ignorance of the fire service and how you become a member of a career fire department.
    Ridiculous huh? Has happened. I was there. But you wouldn't care.

He is a lazy teacher allowing his students to be lazy and doing them absolutely NO favor. Once they reach the real world and ther bosses look at them and say "That type of writing is NOT acceptable here." Then what do they do? Thank that teacher for lettting them be slackers? Sorry no, just more examples of dumbing down the populace.
    You can say what you want, but you have no idea do you. This is not your old school ways. By ignoring these little changes you are isolating yourself little by little, and will soon be put out to graze.
    This teacher has been teacher of the year 4 years running, The school teaches short hand in the class. They understand that soon this will be a needed skill to know how to read and write it.

I know Chenzo very well and I believe he is entirely at peace with himself and the world.
    You seem to have anger issues. I have noticed that in a lot of threads you post in. You seem to hate new young firefighters.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    I'm with the others - unless it's "industry standard" (like EMT, etc), words should be spelled out, and correctly. That the students were using computers makes the "phonespeak" argument even weaker. All the keys are there and if they've had any training in typing or "keyboarding," they should be able to rip through whole words with no problem.
    "phonespeak" as you call it it part of the lesson plan.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Maybe the problem is that the kids are learning to "phonespeak." It would take me longer to misspell all the words in a sentence than to write/type it out correctly. That English teacher is doing his/her students a grave disservice by not holding them to accepted standards.
    I disagree. Short hand is becoming as common as normal text. It is helpful to be able to read and write it.

I am not going to get into a ****ing match. You and Mr. angry have your opinions, They are outdated, but you are entitled to them. I just wish you could understand why learning short hand is so important.

Hakuna Matata

Let's see just how long have you been a firefighter or you one, yet?

You just don't walk in or drive into Boston and join anything. You have very little knowledge of this profession. Yes we Old timers as you say don't have to conform to any new guy. They have to conform to the members who are and were there before they took the first step of being a fireman. Yes we will be gone one day and so will they. Right now they are the new man like we were years back and yes; we had to conform to the standards, rules, regulations of the day and still having to do so today.

If you got hired and pass all the hoops and hurdles and were assigned to a fire house, you would be just another new guy, who has to learn and do what was told.

I would love to have you in my Company.
    Chenzo likes this.

Thread Information