Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Probably a probie question...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BurninLuv View Post
    i got that i wont do anything with lights unless i join or they have me or whatevs i promise your right its the trng not the lights thts important and i will stick to that. i will say that i didnt start this thread some1 else asked about lights i only said it was on my mind but i was NOT buying any yet i will stay focussed on trng if i join and not wory abt lights

i went to the mtg last night and iwas annoyed they called role and called my name and i said here and they asked how mny times id been coming and i TOLD them 4 but they said the role only said 2 so i hada come back 1 more time to officailly join nxt month i didnt evn know they were taking role bfore (no 1 called my name bfore) so i gues all those times i came up aftr the meeting and askd q's i wasnt realy 'there.' WTF?!?!?
    Not to attack you personally, just a friendly word of advice. You should learn how to use real, full words. Using the abbreviations you do makes you look completely uneducated, and there is no way I would consider hiring you if I saw the way you typed on the internet. You can't do a fire or EMS report the way you type here, so why use it here? It only takes a few extra keystrokes to type "training" instead of "trng" and "that's" instead of "thts". Again, not trying to attack or say you are uneducated, just saying that the way you're typing on here portrays that, and laziness.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

i got that i wont do anything with lights unless i join or they have me or whatevs i promise your right its the trng not the lights thts important and i will stick to that. i will say that i didnt start this thread some1 else asked about lights i only said it was on my mind but i was NOT buying any yet i will stay focussed on trng if i join and not wory abt lights

i went to the mtg last night and iwas annoyed they called role and called my name and i said here and they asked how mny times id been coming and i TOLD them 4 but they said the role only said 2 so i hada come back 1 more time to officailly join nxt month i didnt evn know they were taking role bfore (no 1 called my name bfore) so i gues all those times i came up aftr the meeting and askd q's i wasnt realy 'there.' WTF?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Not to attack you personally, just a friendly word of advice. You should learn how to use real, full words. Using the abbreviations you do makes you look completely uneducated, and there is no way I would consider hiring you if I saw the way you typed on the internet. You can't do a fire or EMS report the way you type here, so why use it here? It only takes a few extra keystrokes to type "training" instead of "trng" and "that's" instead of "thts". Again, not trying to attack or say you are uneducated, just saying that the way you're typing on here portrays that, and laziness.

I have to agree with this. Writing correctly is so easy and looks better than the "cell phone" writing which the younger folks have learned to do.

I don't imagine that you wrote like this in high school, and maybe you did and are still in there, trying to get out with a diploma.

In the fire service, there are many reports and forms which have to be written and filled out every day. Doing a short cut on words does not cut it. These are legal documents which must be kept for twenty years or so and yes they can be subpoena to court. If you wrote like you do today and have to appear on the stand in 10 years and explain what you wrote today, you will have a hard time trying to figure it out.

I know most of us do as we read it now.

As far as the lights goes, forget about them, until you have became a full fledge member and have been there awhile, learned everything which you are required to learn and know how to fight fire and the other duties which are required.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

i undrstand what you are saying but why wuld i have to write rpts as a ff? i wnt be a officer or nothing like that ill be a nooby or working a hose or whatevs why wuld i have to write anything? wuldnt the chief do that?

oh and somthing funny abt the meeting after the hoohah abt how many mtgs id been to ltr on in the meeting the "Regulars" got into it abt why there attendence had dropped so much and no body was coming to mtgs!! one membr said that NO OTHR vfd in the area was ao anal abt attendence which was funny since there iam tryin to join and they said i hdnt been there enough!!!!!!!
    Last edited by BurninLuv; 10-05-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

i undrstand what you are saying but why wuld i have to write rpts as a ff? i wnt be a officer or nothing like that ill be a nooby or working a hose or whatevs why wuld i have to write anything? wuldnt the chief do that?

oh and somthing funny abt the meeting after the hoohah abt how many mtgs id been to ltr on in the meeting the "Regulars" got into it abt why there attendence had dropped so much and no body was coming to mtgs!! one membr said that NO OTHR vfd in the area was ao anal abt attendence which was funny since there iam tryin to join and they said i hdnt been there enough!!!!!!!
    Ever been to a suspicious fire? Or a fatal fire? Most departments have all members, or at least those on the first arriving rigs, right their own report of what they saw and what they did upon arrival. So in fact you may be the newest of the noobs righting a report on their very first fire.

Write professionally and it becomes second nature.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to mention that you may become involved with EMS, which has its own set of paperwork.

Unless you intend to remain a bottom-of-the-heap firefighter all your life (and even if you do), you're going to end up writing reports, making entries in logs, and any number of other "work-a-day" writing tasks.

Grammar and syntax are important, no matter what you do. If you're going to be applying for a job, you need to use real, whole words. I can tell you that if your application came across my desk with writing such as you're doing here, it would keep right on going across my desk and into the trashcan.

I'd rather read something written with a few misspellings and malapropisms than the "phonespeak" you're turning out.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I officially have a splitting headache after "reading" that.
    CaptOldTimer, Chenzo and ATFDFF like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Banned

Why is this a problem? This is the 21st century. People type with short hand on computers. It's as common as the sun coming up each day. Now if he spoke in person that way verbally saying "OMG", that would be a sign of uneducated or just lazy.

I have read all the comments here and others he has made and have fully understood them all. I don't see the need to nit pick about something so minor. I type short hand a lot of times, but when I am doing official paper work I don't. I know the difference. I highly doubt his typing effects his ability to fight a fire. Firefighters have been using short hand for years. EMT, POV, MVA, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I have to agree with this. Writing correctly is so easy and looks better than the "cell phone" writing which the younger folks have learned to do.
    Well, there are a lot of younger people joining these days, and things like this will clash with the old timers that are not accepting to the new ways. Got to accept that things change. In a few years the old timers will be gone and the new younger people will be running the show. Things will be different, and that's not a bad thing.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Nigma; 10-05-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Forum Member

Hey Skippy, this is how you write and what we perceive from it.

i comes on fir dpt and gots my geer and now i is a firmen; i goes to da fir and whip outs the hos and put da wawas on the firs. i doesn't has to right nuttin. i gonna gets me sum lites fer my kar sone.

BTW - did you eat at Red Robin and take the name of one of their bugers for your screen name??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
    Why is this a problem? This is the 21st century. People type with short hand on computers. It's as common as the sun coming up each day. Now if he spoke in person that way verbally saying "OMG", that would be a sign of uneducated or just lazy.

I have read all the comments here and others he has made and have fully understood them all. I don't see the need to nit pick about something so minor. I type short hand a lot of times, but when I am doing official paper work I don't. I know the difference. I highly doubt his typing effects his ability to fight a fire. Firefighters have been using short hand for years. EMT, POV, MVA, and so on.
    Because it makes him look incompetent. I hate short hand, even in a text message. If you can't take the time to write using full words and not text speak or short hand, that portrays laziness to me, and my fear would be that the laziness carries out into other aspects of a persons life. I have to agree with Tree, if I was in charge of hiring and an application came across my desk written like he writes here, or written in short hand, it would keep going across my desk into the trashcan.

As far as younger people joining, that's no excuse for not using real words. English, Grammar, and Writing are still taught in school. Use them.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Banned

Because it makes him look incompetent.
    That's opinion.

I hate short hand, even in a text message. If you can't take the time to write using full words and not text speak or short hand, that portrays laziness to me,
    You realize that doctors, lawyers, court reporters, police officers, politicians all write and type in short hand on official documents. It is not a sign of laziness, but a sign of getting the important information down as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I have to agree with Tree, if I was in charge of hiring and an application came across my desk written like he writes here, or written in short hand, it would keep going across my desk into the trashcan.
    And you could be passing on one of the greatest firefighters of all time. Consider this for a moment. A guy comes in to join the department. You know nothing about him other then he just moved to your station (lets say in Boston) from Alabama. He is an older fellow. He fills out the application, but misspells a lot of stuff, and used wrong words such as "no" for "know". He is a modest guy and does not brag about his life. When asked if he has experience, he says he has some, not much. You take his application and judge him based on it. You decline him to join and tell him no thanks.
    Turns out he is a retired fire chief and has been on his home department for 30 years and has seen more fire battles then any man. He has saved several men and has served his community at every chance. But you passed on him based on his writing skills.

Just be careful how you judge someone.
    (nothing wrong with people from Alabama or Boston. Just examples)

I personally do not know this guy, he could be a total slacker and not worth the paper the application is written on, but then he could be a very valuable member. I will say that if he has any hopes of remaining on any department he joins, he needs to drop the attitude of "why wuld i have to write rpts as a ff? i wnt be a officer or nothing like that ill be a nooby or working a hose or whatevs why wuld i have to write anything? wuldnt the chief do that?" No one on a department is a nobody and if you consider yourself to be one, then you will be one and not welcome.

As far as younger people joining, that's no excuse for not using real words. English, Grammar, and Writing are still taught in school. Use them.
    I recently went to my old high school to see a friend. I stopped into the English department to see the teacher. I noticed they did not use paper anymore. Everyone had a laptop. While sitting at his desk he was grading some things. All the "papers" on the computer had some short hand in them. This was not marked off or considered incorrect. It was accepted as "the new way".

Understand that the old ways and new ways can mix and still work. There does not need to be black and white. There is lots of room for grey.

Peace be with you sir.

Forum Member

Frankly, I don't care how young people communicate with each other on their smart phones, or in chat rooms, or on facebook. Sorry, to me it makes him sound as lazy and ignorant as using slang speak when speaking to adults in normal conversation.

EMT, POV, and MVA are all standard industry wide short hand. This is far different than using some of the "kid speak" abbreviations that BurninLuv uses.

Well, there are a lot of younger people joining these days, and things like this will clash with the old timers that are not accepting to the new ways. Got to accept that things change. In a few years the old timers will be gone and the new younger people will be running the show. Things will be different, and that's not a bad thing.

Sorry NO, we don't have to accept this change. Not all change is good or progressive, sometimes it is based in laziness or attempting to look cool. One of the major problems of the world today is forcing the dumbing down of EVERYTHING onto the general populace.

If this is your idea of a good change for the fire service all I can do is shake my head. This is not progressive, it is not going to make the fire service look like the professional service that us "Old Timers" have strived for. No thanks...

Carry on.

I will, doing everything I can to keep lifting to new heights the professionalism of the fire service, and not accepting this kind of nonsense just because the younger generation is too lazy to learn how to spell.
    You have your opinion, I have mine, yours is wrong and makes firefighters look ignorant and lazy. That is not how I want the fire service portrayed. Apparently you are okay with that.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

That's opinion.

Just like what you believe is YOUR opinion. Frankly, your opinion carries no more or less weight than mine or anyone else's here, no matter how much you wish it to.

You realize that doctors, lawyers, court reporters, police officers, politicians all write and type in short hand on official documents. It is not a sign of laziness, but a sign of getting the important information down as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Frankly, what any other profession does doesn't concern me. Have you ever had to pull out a 5 year old report and refresh your memory before you gave a deposition? I have, and shorthand that is not industry wide recognized is going to be of little or no use to you. Believe me those reports are highly scrutinized by attorneys for both sides.

And you could be passing on one of the greatest firefighters of all time. Consider this for a moment. A guy comes in to join the department. You know nothing about him other then he just moved to your station (lets say in Boston) from Alabama. He is an older fellow. He fills out the application, but misspells a lot of stuff, and used wrong words such as "no" for "know". He is a modest guy and does not brag about his life. When asked if he has experience, he says he has some, not much. You take his application and judge him based on it. You decline him to join and tell him no thanks.
    Turns out he is a retired fire chief and has been on his home department for 30 years and has seen more fire battles then any man. He has saved several men and has served his community at every chance. But you passed on him based on his writing skills.

Um, joining Boston? Dude, seriously, you just took yourself out of the discussion with this ridiculous example. You obviously are NOT a career firefighter, or perhaps not a firefighter at all.

Just be careful how you judge someone.
    (nothing wrong with people from Alabama or Boston. Just examples)

Be careful how ridiculous of an example you use because now I am judging you by your ignorance of the fire service and how you become a member of a career fire department.

I personally do not know this guy, he could be a total slacker and not worth the paper the application is written on, but then he could be a very valuable member. I will say that if he has any hopes of remaining on any department he joins, he needs to drop the attitude of "why wuld i have to write rpts as a ff? i wnt be a officer or nothing like that ill be a nooby or working a hose or whatevs why wuld i have to write anything? wuldnt the chief do that?" No one on a department is a nobody and if you consider yourself to be one, then you will be one and not welcome.

Thanks, for proving my point by agreeing that he looks like an attitudinal punk.

I recently went to my old high school to see a friend. I stopped into the English department to see the teacher. I noticed they did not use paper anymore. Everyone had a laptop. While sitting at his desk he was grading some things. All the "papers" on the computer had some short hand in them. This was not marked off or considered incorrect. It was accepted as "the new way".

He is a lazy teacher allowing his students to be lazy and doing them absolutely NO favor. Once they reach the real world and ther bosses look at them and say "That type of writing is NOT acceptable here." Then what do they do? Thank that teacher for lettting them be slackers? Sorry no, just more examples of dumbing down the populace.

Understand that the old ways and new ways can mix and still work. There does not need to be black and white. There is lots of room for grey.

No, there isn't room for laziness, ignorance, and childish jibberish in the professional work setting. What people do when they communicate with their friends is one thing, what they do at work is another and i see no gray area there at all.

Peace be with you sir.

I know Chenzo very well and I believe he is entirely at peace with himself and the world.
    Have a nice day!
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Sure - I use industry standard abbreviations all the time on my medical stuff. Note that I said industry standard. It's in our textbooks
    And you could be passing on one of the greatest firefighters of all time. Consider this for a moment. A guy comes in to join the department. You know nothing about him other then he just moved to your station (lets say in Boston) from Alabama. He is an older fellow. He fills out the application, but misspells a lot of stuff, and used wrong words such as "no" for "know". He is a modest guy and does not brag about his life. When asked if he has experience, he says he has some, not much. You take his application and judge him based on it.
    There was a fellow who posted for a while on a railroad forum I visit frequently. His spelling and grammar were not top notch, to say the least. However he had the respect of every member of the forum because he spoke the truth, as they say. But he didn't use "phone speak." He just fractured the Queen's English on a regular basis.
    I'm with the others - unless it's "industry standard" (like EMT, etc), words should be spelled out, and correctly. That the students were using computers makes the "phonespeak" argument even weaker. All the keys are there and if they've had any training in typing or "keyboarding," they should be able to rip through whole words with no problem.

Maybe the problem is that the kids are learning to "phonespeak." It would take me longer to misspell all the words in a sentence than to write/type it out correctly. That English teacher is doing his/her students a grave disservice by not holding them to accepted standards.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    MT, POV, and MVA are all standard industry wide short hand. This is far different than using some of the "kid speak" abbreviations that BurninLuv uses.
    Times change. New standards come into effect.

You have your opinion, I have mine, yours is wrong and makes firefighters look ignorant and lazy. That is not how I want the fire service portrayed. Apparently you are okay with that.
    Your opinion that my opinion is wrong makes you wrong. You are stuck in the old ways. You have trouble adapting to the new times. Sorry but we don't use bucket brigade any more. It's obsolete, Same with language. Have to get used to it, or fade out like the dinosaurs.

Frankly, what any other profession does doesn't concern me.
    That is obvious

Have you ever had to pull out a 5 year old report and refresh your memory before you gave a deposition? I have, and shorthand that is not industry wide recognized is going to be of little or no use to you. Believe me those reports are highly scrutinized by attorneys for both sides.
    Yet.

Be careful how ridiculous of an example you use because now I am judging you by your ignorance of the fire service and how you become a member of a career fire department.
    Ridiculous huh? Has happened. I was there. But you wouldn't care.

He is a lazy teacher allowing his students to be lazy and doing them absolutely NO favor. Once they reach the real world and ther bosses look at them and say "That type of writing is NOT acceptable here." Then what do they do? Thank that teacher for lettting them be slackers? Sorry no, just more examples of dumbing down the populace.
    You can say what you want, but you have no idea do you. This is not your old school ways. By ignoring these little changes you are isolating yourself little by little, and will soon be put out to graze.
    This teacher has been teacher of the year 4 years running, The school teaches short hand in the class. They understand that soon this will be a needed skill to know how to read and write it.

I know Chenzo very well and I believe he is entirely at peace with himself and the world.
    You seem to have anger issues. I have noticed that in a lot of threads you post in. You seem to hate new young firefighters.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    I'm with the others - unless it's "industry standard" (like EMT, etc), words should be spelled out, and correctly. That the students were using computers makes the "phonespeak" argument even weaker. All the keys are there and if they've had any training in typing or "keyboarding," they should be able to rip through whole words with no problem.
    "phonespeak" as you call it it part of the lesson plan.

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Maybe the problem is that the kids are learning to "phonespeak." It would take me longer to misspell all the words in a sentence than to write/type it out correctly. That English teacher is doing his/her students a grave disservice by not holding them to accepted standards.
    I disagree. Short hand is becoming as common as normal text. It is helpful to be able to read and write it.

I am not going to get into a ****ing match. You and Mr. angry have your opinions, They are outdated, but you are entitled to them. I just wish you could understand why learning short hand is so important.

Hakuna Matata

Forum Member

Let's see just how long have you been a firefighter or you one, yet?

You just don't walk in or drive into Boston and join anything. You have very little knowledge of this profession. Yes we Old timers as you say don't have to conform to any new guy. They have to conform to the members who are and were there before they took the first step of being a fireman. Yes we will be gone one day and so will they. Right now they are the new man like we were years back and yes; we had to conform to the standards, rules, regulations of the day and still having to do so today.

If you got hired and pass all the hoops and hurdles and were assigned to a fire house, you would be just another new guy, who has to learn and do what was told.

I would love to have you in my Company.
    Chenzo likes this.

Banned

Let's see just how long have you been a firefighter or you one, yet?
    Yes I am.

You just don't walk in or drive into Boston and join anything.
    It was an example. Could have said Smallville, Any town, USA. It don't matter, the point was still there. But you got too hung up on details and so you missed the point. Another bad habit of old timers.

You have very little knowledge of this profession.
    You say that based on what? My new membership to this community? My low post count? How do you know what knowledge I have?

Yes we Old timers as you say don't have to conform to any new guy. They have to conform to the members who are and were there before they took the first step of being a fireman.
    Sorry, that my be your mindset but it is not reality. You may hate them for that, but the new guys set the path to the future of the department. New young blood. Fresh new ideas. Ability to work with modern equipment and understand new "languages" like short hand. You can buck the changes, but they are still going to happen.

Yes we will be gone one day and so will they. Right now they are the new man like we were years back and yes; we had to conform to the standards, rules, regulations of the day and still having to do so today.
    But those standards, rules, and regulations are changing to conform to them. Not the other way around.

I do not know how long you have been a firefighter. It really does not matter. But based on your attitude, I would say it has been close to 20 years maybe? When you first started, how many computers were in your department trucks? None? Maybe one or two? How many people bucked at the idea of this new fangled contraption being used? How many "We don't need that, we know how to get to a call."

This is just another example of change. A change to conform to new members, to assist them, the older members just got lucky to benefit from it as well. It is the new, younger firefighters that are setting the new standards.

I understand how hard it can be to conform to new changes. There have been a few changes in our department I didn't like. But I got used to them and saw the benefit they provided.

If you got hired and pass all the hoops and hurdles and were assigned to a fire house, you would be just another new guy, who has to learn and do what was told.
    That may be the case. But it would be easier for me to pass all the newer hoops and hurdles, and it will be easier for me to transition into the new standards.

I would love to have you in my Company.
    I would be honored. I would have no problem following orders and doing my job, never had bucked orders. But I am one to offer new ideas if they can help. If the ideas are shot down, no big deal. Some are. Some are accepted and tried out. Many become new standard.

I am sorry, I did not mean to disrupt the flow here. Take care and be safe all.

Banned

(stuff was said here)
    Turn on private messaging in your settings.

Forum Member

Times change. New standards come into effect.

This jibberish isn't a standard, it is just another example of laziness in the electronic age. I have no problem with phonespeak on a call phone, or in a chat room. But it has no business in professional conversation or reports.

Your opinion that my opinion is wrong makes you wrong. You are stuck in the old ways. You have trouble adapting to the new times. Sorry but we don't use bucket brigade any more. It's obsolete, Same with language. Have to get used to it, or fade out like the dinosaurs.

I have no trouble at all adapting to the new times. I probably had a computer before you were born, I have had a cell phone for over 20 years...You didn't think I was answering your nonsense on a manual typewriter did you? I adapt to technology very easily, I do not adapt to societal dumbing down to make it easier for people too lazy to learn how to spell or write a grammatically correct sentence

That is obvious

Well at least SOMETHING is obvious to you.

Yet.

So you talk about reports and how your jibberish is appropriate and you have never written a report or had one called into court or to be used for depositions. Are you even a firefighter? Or are you just another teenager talking smart hiding out in your mommy's basement.

Ridiculous huh? Has happened. I was there. But you wouldn't care.

Absolute NONSENSE and if you actually were a firefighter you would know that. In order to become a Boston Firefighter you have to go through the hiring process, usually to include an application, written test, agility test, interview, psychological testing, and a physical exam. I don't care if the guy from Alabama was the greatest firefighter that ever lived, he is NOT going to walk off the street, meet the chief and get hired without completing the process. That is very similar to the testing process in almost every medium to large size career fire department. Thanks for proving you know nothing of the career fire service.

You can say what you want, but you have no idea do you. This is not your old school ways. By ignoring these little changes you are isolating yourself little by little, and will soon be put out to graze.
    This teacher has been teacher of the year 4 years running, The school teaches short hand in the class. They understand that soon this will be a needed skill to know how to read and write it.

Look sonny, just because I believe that I should have higher standards for my communication skills at work doesn't mean I can't hang with the youngsters on my off time while texting. One has nothing to do with the other.

Frankly, if that teacher is teacher of the year I question not only the quality of the other teachers but of the entire school. Just because it is fashionable to use that text speak doesn't make it right.

You seem to have anger issues. I have noticed that in a lot of threads you post in. You seem to hate new young firefighters.

Sorry no, I am an instructor at the local tech college, and training officer for the 2 POC FDs I am a member of on my off days, and despite your made up BS to the contrary I am a very popular instructor. I am very supportive of young firefighters.

What I do dislike in some of today's young firefighters is a misplaced sense of arrogance, a belief that they will be the saviors of the fire service, and that anything the firefighters that came before them did is obsolete. Generall I have found that guys like that are all mouth and no action...

"phonespeak" as you call it it part of the lesson plan.

If I were a parent of a student in that district I would be in the office demanding that this waste of time, that could be better spent educating my student, be stopped immediately.

I disagree. Short hand is becoming as common as normal text. It is helpful to be able to read and write it.

This statement shows how complete ignorant and out of touch with reality you are. This is NOT shorthand. Shorthand is a, or rather was a, standardized form of business communication used by secretaries when their bosses dictated letters or other documents. It has NOTHING in common with the phone speak/texting jibberish you support. Please try harder to use facts and not just made up nonsense to support your point of view.

Please tell me where this teacher and this class are located. I would love to contact the school and speak to this teacher. If in fact he has been teacher of the for year 4 years you should be proud to tell me who he is and what school he teaches for. Frankly, I think you are lying right square out of your *****.

I am not going to get into a ****ing match. You and Mr. angry have your opinions, They are outdated, but you are entitled to them. I just wish you could understand why learning short hand is so important.

No, I am calling you out. I think you are a lying troll that isn't even a firefighter. Come clean sonny boy. Stop dunking the Oreos and get back to your texting.

Look do some research, find out what REAL shorthand is because your cappy text seak is absolutely 100% NOT shorthand. Nice try though, but no points will be awarded.

Hakuna Matata
    Go away you liar...we don't need your kind on this site.
    Maybe it's not too late

Banned

Go away you liar...we don't need your kind on this site.
    Shame that people have to have so much hatred in their harts. I guess just because you have not seen or heard something, then it must be a lie.

Since you are so interested in my being a firefighter or not. Yes I am a firefighter. No I am not career, not many people are since only about 30% of the nation is protected by career firefighters. I have been a firefighter for quite some time. Not as long as some, but longer then others. I am positive you and Captain OldTimer have been at it a lot longer then me and I am sure you both have seen more fires then the devil himself. But that does not mean you are qualified to pass judgment one someone else. Especially someone you do not know. I have read a lot of topics here and I have noticed anyone that is new, you automatically attack. Anyone that has a different idea or opinion then you, you attack. I do not have to prove myself to you. The only person I have to prove myself to is my chief and the other members of my department, and I have. I do not care if you think I am a liar or not. That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. I have thought's about you as well, but I have the respect to not display them here.

No matter what you feel, it is not going to stop new change from happening. You can laugh and buck all you wish. In a few years, fire departments will not be anything like they are now. And if you are still a member then, you will have to accept the change, or find a new job.

Sorry no, I am an instructor at the local tech college, and training officer for the 2 POC FDs I am a member of on my off days, and despite your made up BS to the contrary I am a very popular instructor. I am very supportive of young firefighters.
    Just not young firefighters on an online community that try to ask for help and learn.

You have reflected a lot of anger in this topic. I am sorry you are so upset at other peoples opinions. But I have something to say that might help you out. It's not worth getting angry about. It's not worth calling names and saying someone is lying. It's just the internet. If it bothers you, have the will power to turn it off for a little while. Go take a walk, do some push ups, wash a pumper. Then come back.

I do not know you or anyone else here. I joined because I like the magazine and figured I could get more knowledge from the community. I never expected it to be a couple of old guys yelling at the kids on their lawn.

Be well my friend. I hope you can open up some and let others help you learn new things now and then.
    Last edited by Nigma; 10-06-2012 at 01:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

As many of you know i don't say much around here (low post count) but there seems to be a ongoing trend, someone ask's a question and about 3-4 post later the thread goes in a complete 360 from some trying to answer the question to some just trying to bash each other.

I have and always will respect those that came before me and hope those after me will show the same respect to those that came before them, but as times change and younger members join changes will be made both good and bad but the younger guys will also have to learn the (old school) ways. Remember history is doomed to repete it's self if we don't learn from it. I (and only my opinon) also belive that txt speak is just someone trying to take a short-cut, but also understand that in many peoples mind's it is the new way.

So maybe we should ALL just take a few minutes and look in the past and present, and come to the same mind set that this is and always was a dam* hard job to do and it takes guts, courage, Honor, and RESPECT to do this job both paid and vol.

I also belive and again just my opinon that the (old school) guys are right before a probie or new guy should worry about light's or some other small matter like the new station tee-shirt, they should TRAIN, TRAIN and TRAIN somemore and for all those out there in computer land woundering YES i run lights and siren on my pov. Also as far as report writing goes I have been the lowest Probie to (curent rank) of Captain/Training Officer and have had to write reports from daily check sheets to fire reports to training records, and I ALLWAYS use complete grammer and sentences (some times misspelled) but complete non the less.
    Nigma likes this.

Forum Member

Shame that people have to have so much hatred in their harts. I guess just because you have not seen or heard something, then it must be a lie.

No hatred in my HEART (learn to spell sonny). I am just tired of arrogant little turds like you that presume to tell guys like me, and others here, how you and your jibberish are going to save the fire service. We have been through more technology changes and updates in our career than you can possibly imagine.

But I will call you out and say quite unequivocally that you are outright, bald faced LYING about that teacher and the school administration backing his allowing use of text speak in written assignments. If you aren't it seems you should be proud to tell me who he is and where he teaches. But you won't, because you are LYING.

Since you are so interested in my being a firefighter or not. Yes I am a firefighter. No I am not career, not many people are since only about 30% of the nation is protected by career firefighters. I have been a firefighter for quite some time. Not as long as some, but longer then others. I am positive you and Captain OldTimer have been at it a lot longer then me and I am sure you both have seen more fires then the devil himself. But that does not mean you are qualified to pass judgment one someone else. Especially someone you do not know. I have read a lot of topics here and I have noticed anyone that is new, you automatically attack. Anyone that has a different idea or opinion then you, you attack. I do not have to prove myself to you. The only person I have to prove myself to is my chief and the other members of my department, and I have. I do not care if you think I am a liar or not. That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. I have thought's about you as well, but I have the respect to not display them here.

Oh believe me sonny boy, I know you aren't career. That was blatantly obvious in your complete and utter ignorance of how someone becomes a member of a career fre department. Agan, about 30 seconds of online research would have shown you how WRONG you were. Technology is a wonderful if you use it for more than a crutch for your laziness.

The fact is I have been open to many discussions of new concepts on these forums, in fact over my years here I have asked many questions of people with new and different ideas. Some I have supported and tried to get mymfire departments to adopt. Others I have disagreed with, either because i have tried them in the past and discarded them or because I just felt they had no merit. You have not done as much research on me as you claim to, nice try once again.

You have been a firefighter for quite some time? Really? How long is that? 6 months? A year? Just reading what you write proves to me that you are not a long time firefighter.

No matter what you feel, it is not going to stop new change from happening. You can laugh and buck all you wish. In a few years, fire departments will not be anything like they are now. And if you are still a member then, you will have to accept the change, or find a new job.

See above and you presume things about me with absolutely no facts to back them...Nice try though.

Just not young firefighters on an online community that try to ask for help and learn.

I have helped many young firefighters here, some on the open forums, some through private messages, some through e-mail, and some even through phone calls. Nice try again though.

You have reflected a lot of anger in this topic. I am sorry you are so upset at other peoples opinions. But I have something to say that might help you out. It's not worth getting angry about. It's not worth calling names and saying someone is lying. It's just the internet. If it bothers you, have the will power to turn it off for a little while. Go take a walk, do some push ups, wash a pumper. Then come back.

Not angry at all, just tired of arrogant little wise *****es like you that don't have as many years alive as some of us here have in the fire service telling us what it is all about.

I do not know you or anyone else here. I joined because I like the magazine and figured I could get more knowledge from the community. I never expected it to be a couple of old guys yelling at the kids on their lawn.

My advice is for you to read and ask questions and you might actually learn a thing or 2. Because the personna you are using now is only making you friends with a guy who spends all of his time here whining about some fire department he can't get on and talking about lights for his car.

Be well my friend. I hope you can open up some and let others help you learn new things now and then.
    I am very well and I have many friends here that I have made over the years.

Your last sentence here is just further proof of your snotty arrogant attitude. My advice to you? GROW UP, it really is that simple.
    Maybe it's not too late

Banned

I am very well and I have many friends here that I have made over the years.

Your last sentence here is just further proof of your snotty arrogant attitude. My advice to you? GROW UP, it really is that simple.

What a shame. So stuck in your ways you won't even accept when you're wrong. And you tell me to grow up, yet you make remarks like "(learn to spell sonny)" over a type'o. How mature of you.

You don't seem to be very well. You seem to have lots of issues bottled up inside. This is apparent in your attitude expressed here. The name calling. Thinking you are better then others that you don't even know.

You say "just tired of arrogant little wise *****es like you that don't have as many years alive as some of us here have in the fire service telling us what it is all about."

How do you know how old I am? How do you know how long I have been in the service? How do you know anything? That is your problem. You feel that because you have been in the service for a while, anyone new should kiss your ***. That's not the case and will in turn cause them to want to kick your *** instead.

"My advice is for you to read and ask questions and you might actually learn a thing or 2."
    My advice to you is to stop passing judgement on someone you do not know. To assume things only makes an *** out of you, not me.

I am a level 2 firefighter. As far as class work goes (which is not all that important), I passed every class with 100%. Now for real world experience, I have been in the service for many years. I have been in and out of some of the worst burns you can imagine. I have pulled fellow team mates from under collapse, and saved many civilians over the years. I am in process for chief 101 training.

But according to you, just based on my thoughts on how someone types or writes, I should not even be a firefighter. How sad.

Sorry to kill your wet dream that I am just a lawn jockey.

I see there is no pleasing you Mr. Powers. So I bid you adieu. I have high hopes that some day you may see yourself the way others do and learn from that.

Forum Member

Listen you have lied from the start. I am still waiting to know the location of this great school that allows phone text speak in written assignments and the name of this wonderful teacher that has won teacher of the year 4 years in a row. Come on, why won't you tell me this information? Oh yeah, because you LIED and when I called you on it you realized that you can't substantiate it so now you will refuse to discuss it further. You see that is the problem with lying, eventually someone will say prove it and when you can't you look like the absolute phony that you are.

[
    Nigma;What a shame. So stuck in your ways you won't even accept when you're wrong. And you tell me to grow up, yet you make remarks like "(learn to spell sonny)" over a type'o. How mature of you.

Wrong about what? You LYING? You believing that allowing the dumbing down of a proud career with your childish phone speak jibberish is appropriate? No, I have been right all along about both of those things.

You don't seem to be very well. You seem to have lots of issues bottled up inside. This is apparent in your attitude expressed here. The name calling. Thinking you are better then others that you don't even know.

I have issues? You have LIED repeatedly and some of the crap you have posted here just makes me feel sorry for you and the delusional life you lead.

You say "just tired of arrogant little wise *****es like you that don't have as many years alive as some of us here have in the fire service telling us what it is all about."

Yes I am, and you fit that bill completely.

How do you know how old I am? How do you know how long I have been in the service? How do you know anything? That is your problem. You feel that because you have been in the service for a while, anyone new should kiss your ***. That's not the case and will in turn cause them to want to kick your *** instead.

I don't know how old you are for sure. But if you are older than 16-21 you are pathetically immature. I don't want anyone to kiss my ***, but by the same token I have absolutely no time or respect for people like you that disrespect someone because they are older and have more real world experience than you. I have told you repeatedly that I embrace technological advances in the fire service and I have seen plenty, but this jibberish you embrace is NOT technological or an advance.

By the way, you may settle disagreements at this horrendously busy fire house you volly at by the use of physical force, its simply not allowed at any of the fire departments I am involved with. Unless you mean something else by saying someone will want to kick my *****. Again a very mature attitude you have there.

"My advice is for you to read and ask questions and you might actually learn a thing or 2."
    My advice to you is to stop passing judgement on someone you do not know. To assume things only makes an *** out of you, not me.

My advice is stop spouting absoutely ignorant nonsense about using phone text speak in official reports where an attorney will shred you and make you look so stupid that you will be crying like a new born baby on the stand.

I am a level 2 firefighter. As far as class work goes (which is not all that important), I passed every class with 100%. Now for real world experience, I have been in the service for many years. I have been in and out of some of the worst burns you can imagine. I have pulled fellow team mates from under collapse, and saved many civilians over the years. I am in process for chief 101 training.

Sure you have, and sure you are. Golly Dude, where is this fantastic volly FD located that you have dragged fellow firefighters out from under collapses, made several saves of civlians, and fought all these horrendous fires? I would love to come and do a ride along...Unless of course you are LYING again, which I believe you are.

Why can't you say how many years you have been a firefighter instead of saying several? I have been a career firefighter for 22 years, I have been a paid on call firefighter for 35 years, and I have been a state fire instructor for 32 years. I was a paid on call fire chief for 6 years, assistant chief for 11 years, captain for 4 years, and a driver operator for 32 years. Tell me again about your SEVERAL YEARS of experience...

By the way, you really don't want to get into a battle of education and certifications with me. Your firefighter 2 really isn't much to brag about since 3 of the younger guys on one of my paid on call fire departments got firefighter 2 certified in less than 2 years on the department.

But according to you, just based on my thoughts on how someone types or writes, I should not even be a firefighter. How sad.

No, I just think you are a poser. It is that simple.

Sorry to kill your wet dream that I am just a lawn jockey.

You aren't much more than that when you have to lie about some imaginary school and some imaginary teacher that you refuse to prove exists.

I see there is no pleasing you Mr. Powers. So I bid you adieu. I have high hopes that some day you may see yourself the way others do and learn from that.
    Frankly poser, I couldn't begin to care less what a liar like you thinks of me. So go back to the Xbox and the Chips Ahoy cookies in your mom's basement.

I actually like the way people whose opinions I value look at me. And sonny you aren't one of those.
    Maybe it's not too late

Banned

Listen you have lied from the start. I am still waiting to know the location of this great school that allows phone text speak in written assignments and the name of this wonderful teacher that has won teacher of the year 4 years in a row. Come on, why won't you tell me this information? Oh yeah, because you LIED and when I called you on it you realized that you can't substantiate it so now you will refuse to discuss it further. You see that is the problem with lying, eventually someone will say prove it and when you can't you look like the absolute phony that you are.
    Once again, just because it is not something you have experienced you disregard it as a lie.
    If you would like to know the location of the schools around the country that are teaching these classes, visit www.google.com and search for them. Every time someone here has said something you have never seen, you have called them a liar. That makes you ignorant.

Frankly poser, I couldn't begin to care less what a liar like you thinks of me. So go back to the Xbox and the Chips Ahoy cookies in your mom's basement.
    ROFLMAO Poser. That's the funniest thing I have heard. You ask how many years I have been in service. I choose not to reveal this to you because frankly it is none of your business. I could tell you 5 or 50 and it would not change how you view me. I have given you my credentials and you choose to dismiss them. So what difference would it make if I told you how long I have been active?

Sure you have, and sure you are. Golly Dude, where is this fantastic volly FD located that you have dragged fellow firefighters out from under collapses, made several saves of civlians, and fought all these horrendous fires? I would love to come and do a ride along...Unless of course you are LYING again, which I believe you are.
    It's located in the United States of America. What do you care? It's not your department so it must be inferior right?

By the way, you really don't want to get into a battle of education and certifications with me. Your firefighter 2 really isn't much to brag about since 3 of the younger guys on one of my paid on call fire departments got firefighter 2 certified in less than 2 years on the department.
    Good for them. You must be proud of them. That makes 4 of us. In addition to my EVD classes and EMT certification. But I am unsure what the speed of finishing a class has to do with anything? How were their grades? (since you want to brag on them).

No, I just think you are a poser. It is that simple.
    And I think you are a jerk with his head up his butt. It's that simple.

You aren't much more than that when you have to lie about some imaginary school and some imaginary teacher that you refuse to prove exists.
    This from a guy that has belittled every new member of this site for asking a question. Be it about lights, or joining a department, or what classes to take. That shows your placement in life, and it's not very high on the respect meter.

I actually like the way people whose opinions I value look at me. And sonny you aren't one of those.
    That proves your mentality. You are too ignorant to see things past your nose. You are some hot shot that joined the fire department to be a hero. You run around waving your title to everyone to get respect. Try actually earning respect. It goes a long way. I would bet very few people actually respect you. Sure they might say they do to your face. But what do they say behind your back?

Oh well. You will continue to ramble on and on about how you are the be all of be all's in the firefighting service, and how all new members should get on their knees and kiss your butt because you have been in the service since before they were born (which only tells me that you are too old to be in the service and need to leave). It is good that you think so highly of yourself, because no one else will.

Now, on to something else. Has anyone thought to notice that FireFighterERP started this topic and has not made another post anywhere on the site since? Kinda odd. Maybe s/he just wanted to ruffle some feathers? Maybe they have forgot about the site. Who knows, but it is something to consider.

As for BurninLuv. You guys have been hard on him on every post he has made. It's a wonder he still wants to be a firefighter after being here. You pick on him but ignore his passion. I would be honored to have him on my department. With the proper training and guidance, he can prove to be a valuable asset to the service.

It is true that some new young firefighters are a waste of life. But that is a very few number. Need to change the mentality that "you seen one, you seen all". Each person is different. When you can learn that, you will become a better person.

Forum Member

Fyred, he sure did tell you!!!! Bwahahahaahahahaha!!!!!

Fcking kid wouldnt last 10 minutes at our kitchen table.........
    Chenzo likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information