Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Probably a probie question...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
    And he makes himself look like an *** hole every time he replies.
    Better to be an ******* with brains and common sense than a fool who doesnt know his ******* from a hole in the ground.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

He hasn't caught anything. He just is too ignorant to believe in anything he has never experienced.
    No, what's ignorant is the fact that you think "txtspk" is okay to use in official reports. What's ignorant is the fact that you defend poor grammar and lazy spelling using what you call "shorthand."

The only ignorance in this thread is yours. You keep saying "several" years in the fire service, but won't admit to how many years "several" is. You say there is a teacher and a school district that is teaching "txtspk" and views it as okay while writing papers and reports, but won't say what school district.

You're telling people that they need to "embrace change." Using "txtspk" isn't change, it's laziness. It's pure and simple laziness. In an official report, or on a forum, such as this one, where you're trying to ask questions and get answers, there is no need for "txtspk." There is no character limit like there is sending an SMS message, so there is no excuse for it whatsoever. If you want a legitimate, respectful reply from people, time should be put into typing out your questions. Adding 10 extra letters to a sentence so that you're typing with real words does not take that long.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

More assumptions LOL. Nope not Mr D, but I do agree with him on a few things. Like the fact most of you are *** holes. And I am only "friends" with BurninLuv. So I guess since he is friends with Mr D, that makes me Mr D? You are friends with BULL321, BoxAlarm187, NFD-Firefighter, and 16 other people. Does that make you them? So I guess because someone in here is not an *** hole, and does not think they are gods of firefighting, then they must be Mr D? Hey BurninLuv, Are you also Mr D? What about you FireFighterERP? Anyone else here that does not have their head up their ***, are you also Mr D?

Hey kid I have friends who are long term and some are short term firefighters. That is why I have as many friends which you have indicated. To be frank, I really didn't know that was the count. But, the main thing they know how to fight fire and take criticism and move along. They made it in the fire service by listening and learning from older members, like I did when I first started out.

I've as others have seen more changes in the fire service than you could ever dream about. No we don't make reports out in short hand or some letters which no one could figure out. We have procedure which must be followed and the reports have to written in a way that the receiver, who ever that could be, would understand what they are reading.

Cell text or whatever you guys want to call it is not understandable and used in the fire service.

Just learn what you are suppose to learn. OK?
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-07-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Truckie

Is it possible that superwack, poser extraordinaire nigma makes even the likes of donna or scarecrow look intelligent?
    As directed towards FyredUp:
    Also notice you have this big issue against volunteer fire departments. Get rejected from a few did you? Guess volunteers can have the option not not accept *** holes.
    I don't care who you are, that crap is hilarious!!! So far from the truth, you almost have to feel sorry for the moron that made that statement. Note I said almost. Can't cure stupid.
    FyredUp likes this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Hey kid I have friends who are long term and some are short term firefighters. That is why I have as many friends which you have indicated.
    Or maybe you just do like most people on Facebook and friend anyone who sends a request becasue you think it makes you popular.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Just learn what you are suppose to learn. OK?
    Oh I am. I am l learning that people like you, fyredup, captainoldfart, all need to retire and leave the firefighting to the younger people that have ability. I understand your anger, not able to get out of bed because your joints ache. Always forgetting where you put your gear. Getting lost on your way to the bathroom. But us younger guys can handle this. We know how to treat people like humans and not dogs. You are out dated and expired.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    As directed towards FyredUp: I don't care who you are, that crap is hilarious!!! So far from the truth, you almost have to feel sorry for the moron that made that statement. Note I said almost. Can't cure stupid.
    Well, then he has some major issue. Maybe a volunteer fire department kicked his ***, or showed him up. or maybe he just thinks being paid makes him so much cooler and better then anyone else. Whatever his issue is, he is a major *** hole and treats people like crap. One day he will be gone from the service and we can only hope his ignorance does not spread to others that follow.

Banned

There are currently 10 users browsing this thread. (7 members and 3 guests)

Nigma,
    CaptOldTimer,
    Chenzo,
    DeputyMarshal,
    FWDbuff,
    FyredUp,
    Miller337

Oh look, the gangs all here. Club meeting? I want to see your cool jackets. I bet they have neat patches that say "We are fire gods. All others shall bow before us." What's the gangs name? "Old farts united"?

Yep, these are the same 6 people that have been involved with every belittling, ignorant, new comer trashing thread on this site. The same 6 people have no respect for anyone else. The same 6 people think they are the only firefighters in the world worth picking up a hose. The same 6 people that need to get their heads out of their *** and stop being ******.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Thanks for proving my point that you are an *** hole and have no respect for anyone. Also notice you have this big issue against volunteer fire departments. Get rejected from a few did you? Guess volunteers can have the option not not accept *** holes.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Sure thing sonny, I have been a volunteer/paid on call firefighter for 35 years. In fact right now I am a member of 2 paid on call fire departments. I do have a big issue with volunteer/paid on call fire departments that accept any warm body that passes through the door and then don't expect them to train, get certified, and actually show up for drills and calls. Pay status has nothing to do with whether or not one is a professional.

If you want information, look it up. You are on the GREATEST information machine in human history. Please use it to learn instead of spreading your stupid. Oh and learn a new word, www.thesaurus.com. Try it.

Thank you for finally admitting you LIED about the school, the teacher, and your nonsense of phone text speak being part of the curriculum. There is absolutely no other explanation for your refusal to disclose who and where this is located.

Well goody for you. I am glad you were paid to go to class. and had 2 jobs to pay for other things you needed. Not much of a social life? Guess being an *** hole, you wouldn't huh?

I see you use the thesaurus you want me to use and learned a new word you have used over and over in your posts.

Hey sonny, do you get paid anything for going on calls?

Thank you for your concern about my social life. It was actually pretty gosh darn awesome. I am sorry you can't do that with your life. Maybe some time management classes would assist you
    Golly, you make me laugh every time you post.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Well, then he has some major issue. Maybe a volunteer fire department kicked his ***, or showed him up. or maybe he just thinks being paid makes him so much cooler and better then anyone else. Whatever his issue is, he is a major *** hole and treats people like crap. One day he will be gone from the service and we can only hope his ignorance does not spread to others that follow.
    More absolutely nonsensical LIES to add to your list. You just can't help yourself.
    Maybe it's not too late

Truckie

Well, then he has some major issue. Maybe a volunteer fire department kicked his ***, or showed him up. or maybe he just thinks being paid makes him so much cooler and better then anyone else.
    I see you do absolutely no research prior to spouting off complete inaccuracies. If you had, you would know that, not only is FyredUp a career firefighter, he has also been and continues to be a volunteer as well.
    Whatever his issue is, he is a major *** hole and treats people like crap.
    Far from the truth. He does speak his mind and have an intelligent opinion earned and learned from many years in the fire service. Seeing countless pups such as your self, claiming youth and progress trumps wisdom and experience, flounder and fail.
    One day he will be gone from the service and we can only hope his ignorance does not spread to others that follow.
    Your lack of experience and inability to want to earn it will soon have your crocodile mouth overloading your hummingbird a s s.
    I will be honest, I consider FyredUp a friend, and like many other intelligent posters on here, I may not always agree with their or his opinion. But instead of resorting to threats or name calling, I find it easier to educate myself to present a counter-point or opposing view for debate. Maybe you will be around long enough to mature to that level.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Golly, you make me laugh every time you post.

Golly, you make me sick every time you breath.

More absolutely nonsensical LIES to add to your list. You just can't help yourself.
    Just calling what you are projecting. You just can't help yourself can you?

Forum Member

There are currently 10 users browsing this thread. (7 members and 3 guests)

Nigma,
    CaptOldTimer,
    Chenzo,
    DeputyMarshal,
    FWDbuff,
    FyredUp,
    Miller337

Oh look, the gangs all here. Club meeting? I want to see your cool jackets. I bet they have neat patches that say "We are fire gods. All others shall bow before us." What's the gangs name? "Old farts united"?

Yep, these are the same 6 people that have been involved with every belittling, ignorant, new comer trashing thread on this site. The same 6 people have no respect for anyone else. The same 6 people think they are the only firefighters in the world worth picking up a hose. The same 6 people that need to get their heads out of their *** and stop being ******.
    Remind me again who is coming to your defense? Who is supporting your position? Who is holding your hand until your mommy gets back home? Oh that's right...NO ONE!!

Nice work POSER, a new member on the forum and already you have completely alienated yourself from the members here, well other than burninluv! Quite a cheering section you have.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Golly, you make me sick every time you breath.

Just calling what you are projecting. You just can't help yourself can you?
    Where is the school and who is this wonderful teacher that uses text speak in his curriculum? It is so clear you made it all up, or in other words, you LIED!
    Maybe it's not too late

Banned

I will be honest, I consider FyredUp a friend,
    Well hell, with friends like that, who needs enemies.

and like many other intelligent posters on here, I may not always agree with their or his opinion.
    But his lack of intelligence prevents him from properly disagreeing. He turns it into berating others so he can feel better.

But instead of resorting to threats or name calling, I find it easier to educate myself to present a counter-point or opposing view for debate.
    Which he has not been able to do. He is the first one to start the name calling.

Maybe you will be around long enough to mature to that level.
    My maturity has surpassed him by many levels. I can look at an issue and try to see both sides. I can listen to others and not dismiss something they say just because I had not heard of it. I do not challenge every damn person I meet and tell them to prove themselves to me or I will not respect them. That is the maturity level of a 5th grader. Maybe some day he will rise above that level.

Banned

Where is the school and who is this wonderful teacher that uses text speak in his curriculum? It is so clear you made it all up, or in other words, you LIED!
    It is in the United States of America. Look it up. Or do you not know how to do that? If you think I lied so much, then prove me wrong. I do not have to prove myself to some *** hole with a chip on his shoulder.

Banned

Here I did some work for you (you lazy *** hole)

A lot of folks are very worried about the impact of teenagers texting. In a Daily Mail article (oh! the shame), John Humphrys expressed the view that "SMS vandals... are doing to our language what Genghis Khan did to his neighbours" and goes on to warn of the danger of "our written language [ending up] as a series of ridiculous emoticons and ever-changing abbreviations". Sounds pretty dreadful, doesn't it?

For as long as there have been mobile phones, it has been the job of schools and teachers to confiscate 'em. The standard approach seems to be blanket bans in classrooms and a grudging tolerance for them being kept switched off and out of sight at the bottom of bags. Fortunately, my school is one that has sought to harness the power of mobiles in a productive way.

English teachers will be aware that the new GCSE English Language specifications include a requirement for student to write about spoken language and intriguingly, one of AQA's controlled assessment topics is the option to examine how the language of text messages, Twitter and chat rooms relates to the way we speak. The assessment task students would have to answer is: What devices do people use to maintain brevity when messaging/texting? How does this relate to the way we speak?
    This study led to schools learning that students communicated better with text language. Classes were started on a trial basis.

Now I am sure you will ignore this information, weasel your way into turning it into something else. I wouldn't expect anything else from you.
    Last edited by Nigma; 10-07-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Banned

Oh, and here is an article in the NY times about a teacher promoting text speak.

[quote]I’VE been teaching college freshmen to write the five-paragraph essay and its bully of a cousin, the research paper, for years. But these forms invite font-size manipulation, plagiarism and clichés. We need to set our sights not lower, but shorter.

...learning how to write concisely, to express one key detail succinctly and eloquently, is an incredibly useful skill, and more in tune with most students’ daily chatter, as well as the world’s conversation. The photo caption has never been more vital."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/op...0selsberg.html

Forum Member

It is in the United States of America. Look it up. Or do you not know how to do that? If you think I lied so much, then prove me wrong. I do not have to prove myself to some *** hole with a chip on his shoulder.
    You see this is the fallacy in your argument. YOU stated this school and this teacher exist, yet you want me to search the entire United States to find ANY school that does what you are trying to prove.

Why, when you have a clear opportunity to prove your point, do you refuse over and over to do so?

Oh wait, that's right, because you are LYING.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Nigma;1343369]Oh, and here is an article in the NY times about a teacher promoting text speak.

I’VE been teaching college freshmen to write the five-paragraph essay and its bully of a cousin, the research paper, for years. But these forms invite font-size manipulation, plagiarism and clichés. We need to set our sights not lower, but shorter.

...learning how to write concisely, to express one key detail succinctly and eloquently, is an incredibly useful skill, and more in tune with most students’ daily chatter, as well as the world’s conversation. The photo caption has never been more vital."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/op...0selsberg.html
    Um.... No where in that article does that College Professor say he condones text speak..... He is simply asking his students to write shorter assignments, using real, FULL words...

Good effort... Try again?
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

This study led to schools learning that students communicated better with text language. Classes were started on a trial basis.

Now I am sure you will ignore this information, weasel your way into turning it into something else. I wouldn't expect anything else from you.
    The section you quoted says nothing about writing papers in text speak. It states that the teachers want their students to write papers about, and I'm quoting what you posted:
    "English teachers will be aware that the new GCSE English Language specifications include a requirement for student to write about spoken language and intriguingly, Twitter and chat rooms relates to the way we speak. The assessment task students would have to answer is: What devices do people use to maintain brevity when messaging/texting? How does this relate to the way we speak?"

That doesn't say they are allowed to, or taught, to write papers in text speak. Again, nice try...

Forum Member

Golly, smart guy this is what you posted, not some study:

I recently went to my old high school to see a friend. I stopped into the English department to see the teacher. I noticed they did not use paper anymore. Everyone had a laptop. While sitting at his desk he was grading some things. All the "papers" on the computer had some short hand in them. This was not marked off or considered incorrect. It was accepted as "the new way".
    Then you followed it with this post:

This teacher has been teacher of the year 4 years running, The school teaches short hand in the class. They understand that soon this will be a needed skill to know how to read and write it.
    So you were talking about a specific school, that you supposedly attended, and supposedly went back to visit, and supposedly talked to your old english teacher, who supposedly was allowing phone text speak in homework assignments. Now because you realize I will not let you get away with that LIE you are changing the parameters of your LIE to expand it out into an area totally unrelated to your original LIE.

It really doesn't have to be this complicated, just tell me where the school is located and who the teacher is so I can e-mail him and talk to him about this. Or keep LYING and evading the truth.
    Maybe it's not too late

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Um.... No where in that article does that College Professor say he condones text speak..... He is simply asking his students to write shorter assignments, using real, FULL words...

Good effort... Try again?
    I don’t expect all my graduates to go on to Twitter-based careers, but learning how to write concisely, to express one key detail succinctly and eloquently, is an incredibly useful skill,
    A perfect example of a need for text speaking. Limited character space to talk with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    The section you quoted says nothing about writing papers in text speak. It states that the teachers want their students to write papers about, and I'm quoting what you posted:
    "English teachers will be aware that the new GCSE English Language specifications include a requirement for student to write about spoken language and intriguingly, Twitter and chat rooms relates to the way we speak. The assessment task students would have to answer is: What devices do people use to maintain brevity when messaging/texting? How does this relate to the way we speak?"

That doesn't say they are allowed to, or taught, to write papers in text speak. Again, nice try...
    Which you have just proven.

Even when you are provided with the information requested, you decided to ignore it and say it isn't what it means.

Banned

Golly, smart guy this is what you posted, not some study:

Then you followed it with this post:

So you were talking about a specific school, that you supposedly attended, and supposedly went back to visit, and supposedly talked to your old english teacher, who supposedly was allowing phone text speak in homework assignments. Now because you realize I will not let you get away with that LIE you are changing the parameters of your LIE to expand it out into an area totally unrelated to your original LIE.

It really doesn't have to be this complicated, just tell me where the school is located and who the teacher is so I can e-mail him and talk to him about this. Or keep LYING and evading the truth.

Golly *** hole. Those are examples. Want more. GOOGLE it. Or continue being a ***** and evading the information I have provided.

Holy **** you have major issues. How many of the guys you work with are on suicide watch? I know damn well if I had to spend 2 mins with you I would slit my wrist.

Banned

This also goes back to that privacy thing you mentioned before. You want the name of the school? Why, So you can look it up, look up the area, search this and that, then start harassing me like you did Mr D (yeah I read that thread and saw how big of a dick you were there too). Unlike him, I am a private person on the web. So keep asking all you want. I am not telling you my personal information. Go bully someone else.

Forum Member

Golly *** hole. Those are examples. Want more. GOOGLE it. Or continue being a ***** and evading the information I have provided.

Holy **** you have major issues. How many of the guys you work with are on suicide watch? I know damn well if I had to spend 2 mins with you I would slit my wrist.
    No sonny, I want you to admit you LIED about visiting your high school, visiting your English teacher, and seeing him allowing text speak in homework assignments. Or come clean and say who the teacher is and where the school is. Because until you do everything you post is smoke and mirrors trying to cover up your original BALD FACED LIE that I won't let you get away with.

There it is, I am simply not going to let you continue to LIE and play games. It's really simple, come clean and admit you LIED or name the school and the teacher.

I already know what you will do...and pathetically so do you.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information