Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Probably a probie question...

Forum Member

Default Probably a probie question...

Okay, so I've finally gotten around to wiring my truck for lights but have yet to decide, which lights are best for which applications (i.e. grille, dash, rear)? I've heard a lot of good about the Sho-me lights and seen some of the Extreme Tactical Dynamics lights... sorry if this is to much of a probie question.
    Don't eat the hot sauce... SVFD Station 2

Forum Member

(Ducking before the storm hits)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider73 View Post
    (Ducking before the storm hits)

precisely what I was thinking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    precisely what I was thinking.
    Cool, I got here before the fireworks started. Hey FirefighterERP, Daped01 had a question, how many lumens are those extreme lights?

Forum Member

Forget about grill, dash, rear, side, undercarriage, arrow sticks; forget about all of it. But a light bar. A full size light bar. Make sure you you use bolts to put it on the roof of your tricked out Honda Civic, or else it's going to blow off when the boost kicks in. Oh and make sure it's an LED bar.

Seriously, why is this question asked so many times? Yes, I in fact have lights in my truck. A dash light and a light in the rear window. However I didn't need to ask a bunch of people on the internet which ones were the best. I did some damn research and figured out what I wanted.

Also, I know this was a spam post. First post about L&S, yeah a little fishy. However I thought my reply was fitting lol.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Forget about grill, dash, rear, side, undercarriage, arrow sticks; forget about all of it.
    Smartest thing EVER posted about lights on POVs!

Save the money and buy a good pair of leather boots, or a good fitting pair of gloves, or a good flashlight. Something that will actually matter.

Just my humble, or not so humble, opinion. Your mileage may vary!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterERP View Post
    Okay, so I've finally gotten around to wiring my truck for lights but have yet to decide, which lights are best for which applications (i.e. grille, dash, rear)? I've heard a lot of good about the Sho-me lights and seen some of the Extreme Tactical Dynamics lights... sorry if this is to much of a probie question.
    Ask at your station what is best. They will know the laws, and the dealers.

I did not think you could run lights in NC?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Seriously, why is this question asked so many times?
    There is an irresistable urge by probies to light up their vehicle like a Christmas Tree.

Someone should do a Master Thesis on this phenomenon.
    Rico3101 likes this.

Forum Member

Instead of worrying about what kind, how many, where to put, or how many lumes or candlepower or whatever the fcuk about blue lights, why dont you worry about MORE IMPORTANT proby things such as:
    -Where all of the equipment on the rigs is located

-Is all of the equipment clean, in good condition and ready to use? Have the axes and hooks been stripped, sanded and re-painted and then have they had a coat of light oil applied to the non-painted surfaces?

-Have you practiced pulling and then advancing handlines to the point that you could do it in your sleep, at night with no light and in a driving snowstorm with no mistakes, and then another thirty times just for good measure?

-Have you practiced hitting hydrants (see above)

-Are the quarters in good order (and I dont mean the play station games all put away...in our station you arent even allowed in the TV room during probation so it doesnt matter....) is all the trash emptied, the floors swept, the dishes done and put away?

-Have you studied the SOP manual??

-Have you taken and passed Firefighter I?

When the answer to all of these is "yes" go do them all again about 6 more times and then come back and ask again and we will come up with a list of about 20 more things for you to worry about that are more important than blue lights. Until then, go lower the flag to half-staff for the kid in Delaware who just died responding to a call.

DISMISSED!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Have the axes and hooks been stripped, sanded and re-painted and then have they had a coat of light oil applied to the non-painted surfaces?

I'm glad you posted this because it reminded that I need to do the axes again. And it reminded me of the rest of my fix/build/maintain list. Thanks! lol
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

I'm glad you posted this because it reminded that I need to do the axes again. And it reminded me of the rest of my fix/build/maintain list. Thanks! lol
    Good to see someone "LIGHT" a fire under you to get you back to the business of firefighting!!

Do you need my right angle grinder and wire cup?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

best thing to do is no lights, and slow down the response, so you make it there

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Good to see someone "LIGHT" a fire under you to get you back to the business of firefighting!!

Do you need my right angle grinder and wire cup?
    Yes. Either the corded one or the air grinder. Either will work. Thanks

Forum Member

Yes. Either the corded one or the air grinder. Either will work. Thanks
    Did those brackets get ordered today?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

i got the same q but as evrybody here knows i duno if this dept ive been tryin to join is going to be the dealy so im waitin on that bfore i get lights if u ask Mr D he posts here hes got a NICE setup on his car im sure he can give u some good tips good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BurninLuv View Post
    i got the same q but as evrybody here knows i duno if this dept ive been tryin to join is going to be the dealy so im waitin on that bfore i get lights if u ask Mr D he posts here hes got a NICE setup on his car im sure he can give u some good tips good luck
    To me this post speaks volumes about you. You aren't even on the department yet. Haven't done your probie training, let alone worked on certs, and one of your primary worries is lights for your POV?

This kind of stuff makes me weep for the future of the fire service.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

well i said im waitin on that i wont do the lights unless this dept gets its act togethr and takes me on or watever. if they dont then no lights. ill let everyone know what hapns the next meeting is tomorow night and its the last chance im tired of showing up evry month and nothin hapns

Forum Member

if u ask Mr D he posts here hes got a NICE setup on his car im sure he can give u some good tips good luck
    Oh no you di int!
    DeputyMarshal likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Did those brackets get ordered today?
    Negative. They will get ordered tomorrow.

Forum Member

well i said im waitin on that i wont do the lights unless this dept gets its act togethr and takes me on or watever. if they dont then no lights. ill let everyone know what hapns the next meeting is tomorow night and its the last chance im tired of showing up evry month and nothin hapns
    You still sound like a jackass... I've been on my Volly department for 5 years, no lights on my vehicle? Your not in your department, and you're already ordering stuff...

Maybe they have their act together and thats why your not a member...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    You still sound like a jackass... I've been on my Volly department for 5 years, no lights on my vehicle? Your not in your department, and you're already ordering stuff...

I believe he said he has not ordered anything yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post

i said i hdnt ordered anything like 3 times. im gona wait until i join the dept or maybe i wont if they are still ate up. idk why you are calling me names, ive not called anyone here a name abt anything since i joined...that tells me al i need to know about you sir good day

Forum Member

i said i hdnt ordered anything like 3 times. im gona wait until i join the dept or maybe i wont if they are still ate up. idk why you are calling me names, ive not called anyone here a name abt anything since i joined...that tells me al i need to know about you sir good day
    Let me give you my perspective, and I will try not to attack you personally.

The simple facts are these, you aren't even on the department yet, and it seems you either don't know who to ask, or won't be assertive enough to ask what the heck is going on, and you post here about lights for your POV. The issue is too many people post here about their thermo nuclear powered left handed Winkleborfler LED strobes and their wannabe Federal Q's for their POVs yet they can't donn their SCBA within 2 minutes, they don't know where the tools are on the rig, they couldn't pull a preconnect with a mule, and they don't have time to go to fire classes.

Honestly if I had my way and I interviewed candidates for the FD and they asked me about lights for their car in the interview I would look them straight in the eye at the end of the interview and say "No thank you, you aren't what we are looking for." It's ALL about priorities and lights for your POV should be somewhere near the bottom of the list.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Something tells me that this thread will not end well...
    DeputyMarshal likes this.

Forum Member

i got that i wont do anything with lights unless i join or they have me or whatevs i promise your right its the trng not the lights thts important and i will stick to that. i will say that i didnt start this thread some1 else asked about lights i only said it was on my mind but i was NOT buying any yet i will stay focussed on trng if i join and not wory abt lights

i went to the mtg last night and iwas annoyed they called role and called my name and i said here and they asked how mny times id been coming and i TOLD them 4 but they said the role only said 2 so i hada come back 1 more time to officailly join nxt month i didnt evn know they were taking role bfore (no 1 called my name bfore) so i gues all those times i came up aftr the meeting and askd q's i wasnt realy 'there.' WTF?!?!?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information