Forum Member

Question Type III Model 61 or 62 Engine

I am looking for some information or specs or anything about Model 61 or 62 Type III engines used in Region 5. The truck is between a 1990-1995. I have searched the net but can only find info on the fourth generation models which start about 2000 or so. The ones I am inquiring info about are on a Ford F-800 2WD chassis with a 500-600 gal tank. I assume these are good solid trucks and very versitile but wanted to get some input before proceeding with anything.

Thanks in advance for your help and answers.

midwestchief

Forum Member

The 61 & 62(A) was a single cab truck with a crew compartment built into the box with a "boot" to pass through to the main cab. The later 62's had a regular 6-pack cab. It was a 500 gal, 400gpm PTO pump (?). Pictures at http://modelfireapparatus.com/appara..._Engines_4.htm .

What are you looking to use these for? WUI or more veg. Probably a pretty good engine if taken care of well and no major problems that will be a money pit for a small dept to have to fix.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Looking at mostly veg, but have some capability to use for WUI. The ones I am looking at are possibly just coming out of service and becoming excess. The pics that I have seen of one particular one is a model 62A on a ford chassis from what I can tell. What is the big difference between the Model 61 & 62?

Forum Member

I'm not sure other than the body style, and the amount of stuff being controlled electronically nowadays. Someone over at wildlandfire.com can probably answer that question better.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Thanks, I'll jump over and see if any of them can help also. I really appreciate your input.

Forum Member

There is a real simple way to tell if you are looking at a Model 61 or 62. Look at the hose reels, the Model 61 has a square compartment below the reel. The Model 62 has the reels higher up so they have a rectangular compartment below the reels.

As far as differences, the Model 62 has a few inches more leg room in the back, and a better pump. The Model 61 has a Hale CBP 260 gpm single stage pump, the Model 62 has a Darley JMP-500 500 gpm 2 stage pump. Both engines have a 500 gallon tank, and may or may not include a foam tank / foam unit.

I would guess you are looking at a Model 61 based on the years you state, I think the Model 62 came around in 1995 so most of the Fords had the later model 1996-97 cab (the more aerodynamic cab).

These are solid multipurpose engines, but the Model 62 is a better engine due to the pump. Most will have mounts for 3 SCBA either in the rear seats or the rear compartment. There is plenty of room for equipment and they are both capable of pump and roll.

If you are looking at a 4x4 I would suggest you make sure a good mechanic looks it over. The 4x4 Fords had enough of a reputation for mechanical problems that the USFS replaced many in the fleet early which is almost unheard of. The IH and GMC / Chevrolet 4x4s did not seem to have as many issues.
    The 2 wheel drive engines are not pavement queens, they are quite capable off road, I've worked on 2wd Type 3 engines most of my career and the only time I've had trouble is in very soft soil.
    These engines get worked hard, many spending a good portion of thier lives off pavement, and it is not unusual for them to rack up 10,000 -15,000 miles a year. On the plus side they usually get pretty good maintenance while in service.

Also be aware that any USFS engine built before 2001 will have a manual transmission, and most also had a split rear axle which can be an issue for drivers / licensing since many firefighters have an automatic only restriction.

If you keep your eyes open you should be seeing the later crew cab Model 62s coming available, I know a local VFD got one earlier this year. We run engines 15 years, so you should be seeing 1996 and 1997 engines coming out of service soon.

Forum Member

Here & There,
    Thanks for your input. From the pic that I have seen it is a Model 62, 2WD Ford. I'm really not too concerned about the transmission as most of my volunteers drive grain trucks at some time through out the year and we have a tender which is also a split axle, so they get plenty of practice. I assume the crew cab is probably prefered over the rear compartment seating but either is better than nothing. Thanks again for your input. Let me know if you think of anything else.
    Mike

Forum Member

The crew cab is more comfy and the compartments are more useful in my opinion (a few large compartments vs more small compartments) but earlier style with the crew box isn't bad.

Either way you will have a very utilitarian truck that can either be a sole purpose wildland rig or a multipurpose fire / rescue rig. With the addition of ground ladders the Model 62 can meet the specs for a Type 2 engine.

Forum Member

Has anyone that has operated / maintained the Model 62 had problems with their air actuated valves. My issue is that I cannot find where my tank is slowly draining into my lines. I would really like to drain the lines and keep water in the tank during this below zero weather. I am thinking it is the air actuator as we have installed valve kits in both the pump-to-tank and tank-to-pump valves (the only ones that come off the tank). It appears that all actuators operate and hit the stop but something is still allowing water from the tank to the belly lines. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

If the valves are good, I would ensure the linkages to the valves are properly adjusted. Not just that the actuator is moving all the way. The linkages should have some adjustment to fine tune them.

I'd also take a look at the recirculation valve (if equipped, don't recall when these were added), this will be a 1/4" line and a quarter turn valve.

Also the #13, the gravity drain / bladder bag filler which should come directly off the tank. I don't think this last ties into the plumbing though so shouldn't be your issue.

Forum Member

Thanks, I'll check into these. It has the recirc line and haven't considered that yet. Really appreciate the help, haven't had a chance to really go through and learn this truck and how all the plumbing works on it yet as it has been a pretty slow year for us.

Thread Information