Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Dehydration during Practice CPAT session

I failed my practice session yesterday. I got to the last event and I got really dizzy and cramped up. I was taken to the ER and after a series of blood and urine work, I was told I have a severe case of dehydration. Which makes sense. I was feeling fine until I got to the dummy drag. I finished the dummy drag and I just could not move on. I did not eat at all before my practise session nor have anythinig to drink and I paid the price.
    I need to stay hydrated and eat well. I have been working out hard for the last 3 months and this just makes me feel bad.
    For those who passed, can you give me some tips as to how you prepared hydration and food wise.
    Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aspire View Post
    I failed my practice session yesterday. I got to the last event and I got really dizzy and cramped up. I was taken to the ER and after a series of blood and urine work, I was told I have a severe case of dehydration. Which makes sense. I was feeling fine until I got to the dummy drag. I finished the dummy drag and I just could not move on. I did not eat at all before my practise session nor have anythinig to drink and I paid the price.
    I need to stay hydrated and eat well. I have been working out hard for the last 3 months and this just makes me feel bad.
    For those who passed, can you give me some tips as to how you prepared hydration and food wise.
    Thank you.

Hydration doesn't come from drinking during or immediately prior, it comes from being hydrated hours/ the days before!! Complex carbs for energy! Eggs and oatmeal for bfast!! And breatheeeeee

Forum Member

Eating the right carbs and hydrating before your CPAT are definitely good things to do to help complete the CPAT successfully. They're not the determining factor though in you passing or not. It obviously sounds like you need to work on increasing your stamina and endurance more. Start running every night or morning. Go to the gym and perform workouts that will simulate the CPAT(stair master, pike push/pull, grip strength, pulling excercises, etc.). I know you said you've been working out hard for the last 3 months. It's obviously not hard enough or you're not doing the right things to prepare. Especially, if you were in such bad shape at the end where you were required to go to the ER.

If you're able to, maybe look at taking a course at your local community college on firefighter fitness or even a course that prepares you for the CPAT, then has you complete it at the end. I'm not a firefighter myself, but I'm currently in an academy for my 1 & 2 and I can tell you first hand, that the CPAT is a warm up compared to what you actually do in an academy on daily basis. It's a very humbling experience to say the least. Stay positive though, work on your areas you struggled with and you'll get it next time! Good luck to you.

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

Get in the habit of carrying around a gallon jug of water with you at all times. If you're not urinating clear and often, you're more than likely not hydrated. Get plenty of sleep before your CPAT practice sessions/ test day. Lastly, avoid any energy drinks, supplements or creatine-loaded pills before your CPAT (trust me on this).

The gentlemen who responded before me gave great, solid advice. Good luck and never give up until your goals are met!

Forum Member

From up on high above the crowd on my soap box! You wouldn't fast, since that is exactly what you did, when working, right? So what on earth would give you the idea that fasting before 10:20 of heart pounding excitement would make you think that it is a good idea. I mean really, come on?

Although you are not the first that has done this and you are certainly not the last.

Now that I am off the soap box, well partially at least. Dehydration, or severe dehydration in your case, is something that is 10-14 days in the making. The same reason that runners hydrate upto 2 weeks before a race is the same reason you should as well. But again, you should be hydrated at all times since you never know what would come up.

Just like FireMuscleMan said is what you should do the day of the exam. BigBruno has it on the money and carry around a jug of water all day long. The 2 weeks leading up to my last CPAT I was going thru the h2o every 90 minutes (1.5 liters) and I was already physically capable of doing the CPAT. KrewMoney said it perfect, the CPAT, is just the beginning of the fire academy and the tip of the iceberg of the real deal.

Just my 2 nickles though
    -Corey "Mr O-we-some!" Walsh
    Moron AB Fire Dept USAFE
    Moron, Spain

"I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMuscleMan21 View Post
    Hydration doesn't come from drinking during or immediately prior, it comes from being hydrated hours/ the days before!! Complex carbs for energy! Eggs and oatmeal for bfast!! And breatheeeeee
    I agree! Thank you. I have been drinking alot of water since i got back last night.
    Thanks again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by krewmoney77 View Post
    Eating the right carbs and hydrating before your CPAT are definitely good things to do to help complete the CPAT successfully. They're not the determining factor though in you passing or not. It obviously sounds like you need to work on increasing your stamina and endurance more. Start running every night or morning. Go to the gym and perform workouts that will simulate the CPAT(stair master, pike push/pull, grip strength, pulling excercises, etc.). I know you said you've been working out hard for the last 3 months. It's obviously not hard enough or you're not doing the right things to prepare. Especially, if you were in such bad shape at the end where you were required to go to the ER.

If you're able to, maybe look at taking a course at your local community college on firefighter fitness or even a course that prepares you for the CPAT, then has you complete it at the end. I'm not a firefighter myself, but I'm currently in an academy for my 1 & 2 and I can tell you first hand, that the CPAT is a warm up compared to what you actually do in an academy on daily basis. It's a very humbling experience to say the least. Stay positive though, work on your areas you struggled with and you'll get it next time! Good luck to you.
    Thank for the reply. I have been doing the stairmaster at the YMCA for 2 months with a 80lbs vest, strength training as well and that really helped with the practice session. However, I agree that I might need to improve my stamina and fitness.
    Thank you for the encouraging words.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Get in the habit of carrying around a gallon jug of water with you at all times. If you're not urinating clear and often, you're more than likely not hydrated. Get plenty of sleep before your CPAT practice sessions/ test day. Lastly, avoid any energy drinks, supplements or creatine-loaded pills before your CPAT (trust me on this).

The gentlemen who responded before me gave great, solid advice. Good luck and never give up until your goals are met!
    Thanks. I appreciate your advice and I will take heed.

Forum Member

Practice Practice Practice in all aspects

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 241fire View Post
    From up on high above the crowd on my soap box! You wouldn't fast, since that is exactly what you did, when working, right? So what on earth would give you the idea that fasting before 10:20 of heart pounding excitement would make you think that it is a good idea. I mean really, come on?

Although you are not the first that has done this and you are certainly not the last.

Now that I am off the soap box, well partially at least. Dehydration, or severe dehydration in your case, is something that is 10-14 days in the making. The same reason that runners hydrate upto 2 weeks before a race is the same reason you should as well. But again, you should be hydrated at all times since you never know what would come up.

Just like FireMuscleMan said is what you should do the day of the exam. BigBruno has it on the money and carry around a jug of water all day long. The 2 weeks leading up to my last CPAT I was going thru the h2o every 90 minutes (1.5 liters) and I was already physically capable of doing the CPAT. KrewMoney said it perfect, the CPAT, is just the beginning of the fire academy and the tip of the iceberg of the real deal.

Just my 2 nickles though
    Lol. Thatnks for the wake up call. Sincerely, I had no idea what I was walking into. I thought I did.
    I am just so used to working out on empty stomach and this back fired! When working out I get a chance to stop for however long I want and I think that is what I wrongly judged.
    I need a piece of reality slap and you gave me that.
    I will do as you all have suggested.

Forum Member

Hey aspire send me a message on my profile, want to talk to you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBox View Post
    Hey aspire send me a message on my profile, want to talk to you
    I just did.

Forum Member

Just a couple things. First, don't forget that hydration includes electrolytes. It's the lack of electrolytes that makes you cramp, not the lack of water. Gatorade or similar products are great but be sure to dilute them at least 1:1 if not more for optimum results. Second thing is about your workout. Heavy weights aren't what you need and neither is running for miles on end. Go to www.wodshop.org and try whichever workouts you find there that you have the equipment to do. They are crossfit style workouts that take approximately 15 minutes. The workouts are very intense but not too intimidating. If you're struggling with CPAT then you definitely need to put in some very hard work but you'll get there, just keep at it!

Thread Information