Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Montgomery County, Maryland 2012 hiring process for January 2013 class / info

Forum Member

PM sent out

Forum Member

does anybody know when the current class graduates and how far down the list did they go

Forum Member

has anybody heard anything

Forum Member

Has anyone received any emails in the past month or so? i think the last set of emails they sent was in late January (3 emails in like 10 mins) and heard that backgrounds will start up again and emails should be going out for that soon...

There are a couple rumors floating around about a new class starting in july or august.
    Last edited by b_stevens; 02-19-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Forum Member

i got an email about a month ago to update them if you got any new certs. thats about it

Forum Member

I think that was the last email they sent out and apparently not everyone on the remaining eligible list received that email. I think they are being more selective this time. Instead of notifying everyone (Like last time), they've notified just the ones they more than likely will offer. Just something i have heard rumored around by a couple different people this past week. I don't know how much stock i put into that but....I'll just leave it at that.

Heard the class will start something like 2 weeks or so after this current class ends and will be big. Somewhere between 50-65.

Also, just heard that they might open up the application process again in July 2013 for a January 2014 class. This shouldn't have any impact on anyone currently on the eligible list unless you don't get selected for the next (July/August 2013) class. Either way people left on the eligible list should know by then if they have a offer or not and know if they will need to apply or not.

last piece of info i heard was that they would be starting to send out emails to get the background checks started within the next week or so. That was a week and a half ago, so maybe someone will hear something by the end of this week or next. I haven't heard of anyone receiving an email since January though.

Final thing I've heard not directly related to hiring was that soon (by end of June) A LOT of career guys are going to be putting in for retirement. This could be why there is such a huge hiring push going on right now....

All of this info is just stuff I've heard from UNOFFICIAL (non-hiring position) people. No one in the hiring department has told me any of this. Its just stuff i hear from different current firefighters (Career and Volunteer) in Montgomery so take everything with a grain of salt.

Forum Member

Interesting news. I had all but written this off until I received a call this morning to interview. I already caught on with a smaller Dept. in Va, but I'm strongly considering getting involved in the process again. Anyone have specifics for MCFR? 24/48? Run ALS out of every house? Residency requirements?

I remember being impressed with their presentation, and I took some notes on them but I don't have access to them at the moment...and may not have time to review before my interview on Monday.

Forum Member

would this be your first interview with mcfr or is it something different with your backround

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomson75 View Post
    Interesting news. I had all but written this off until I received a call this morning to interview. I already caught on with a smaller Dept. in Va, but I'm strongly considering getting involved in the process again. Anyone have specifics for MCFR? 24/48? Run ALS out of every house? Residency requirements?

I remember being impressed with their presentation, and I took some notes on them but I don't have access to them at the moment...and may not have time to review before my interview on Monday.
    24/48 with a kelly day. ALS in every house, usually running 4 to an engine with ALS on board. Not sure of residency, but when I went through the academy there were a ton of guys from PA in my class

Forum Member

has anybody else heard anything

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo1547 View Post
    would this be your first interview with mcfr or is it something different with your backround

I had an interview last year before accepting a position with a smaller Department in VA. I didn't really intend to pursue it, and never replied to the emails asking me to take myself out of the process if I wasn't interested. I believe I got an 82? on my first go-round. I did well on the tests, although my interpersonal score was ridiculously low.

I decided to take myself out this time simply because the pay isn't significantly more than what I'm making now, and I would have to commute over 2.5 hours. If it were 24/72 I'd be all over it. I wish I could do it, but logistically it doesn't make sense. Besides, I've already jumped ship on one department in my short career...not sure I want to make it a habit.

The guys I talked to on the phone sounded VERY motivated to get a class together...it sucks turning down an offer from a department better than the one you're currently at.

Good luck to everyone going for it....seemed like a good place to work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by afakhori View Post
    24/48 with a kelly day. ALS in every house, usually running 4 to an engine with ALS on board. Not sure of residency, but when I went through the academy there were a ton of guys from PA in my class

I took myself out of the process, but thanks anyway.

Forum Member

has anyone heard anything regarding offers? I had my meeting with the background investigator a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything since.

I hope to hear something by early/mid May for an offer. Just wondering if anyone else has received or know of other people getting one yet.

Forum Member

what were your scores like if you dont mind me asking and what was included in the meeting with the background investigator

Forum Member

Default Background Investigation

Has anyone received any COE's yet?? I was told by my investigator that my background investigation looked good and that was submitted three weeks ago today. Have not heard anything further aside from some emails stated offers would be going out soon.

For any guys going through the process have you looked into living situations down in Rockville? I had heard that often times recruits will grab a place close to the academy to circumvent excessive travel times every morning.

Good luck to anyone else out there going through the process.

Forum Member

Anyone get an offer yet? Heard they started to send them out...last time offers were sent out over a few weeks. Guess we will all know something soon
    Last edited by b_stevens; 04-17-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Forum Member

55+ to be hired over the next year for a January '14 class as per recruitment email.

Forum Member

If you interviewed and spoke with an investigator you should be getting offers soon. I got mine last Wednesday and I have my physical tomorrow. This is for recruit class 38 that is due to start July '13. Also, there is an upcoming test that will open on May 1st. Good luck to all those trying!
    b_stevens likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDRes1cueNY View Post
    If you interviewed and spoke with an investigator you should be getting offers soon. I got mine last Wednesday and I have my physical tomorrow. This is for recruit class 38 that is due to start July '13. Also, there is an upcoming test that will open on May 1st. Good luck to all those trying!
    First, Congratulations! Second, Im currently waiting to hear from Montgomery. I met and spoke with an investigator a few weeks ago. I was just wondering how sure are you that if you spoke with an investigator you should be getting a offer soon? I'm checking my emails every 30 seconds haha

Forum Member

Got my Email to sit for the upcoming written exam
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Got mine to! Def excited about it! Really want this dept!
    tonsoffun1101 likes this.

Forum Member

Default App

I am confused on this app. What do we need to bring to test day and what do we need to mail?

Forum Member

RIGHT FROM MCFRS EMAIL THEY SENT EVERYONE.....

[You must print and fill out the entire background packet, checklist, forms and then bring everything with you on the day of your exam. The packet requires a lot of information (names of relatives, contact info, references etc.) Do not wait until the last minute to complete the packet.

You must bring the completed packet, forms and required documentation with you to the exam. You will not be permitted to take the exam without the background packet.

The documentation should be neatly organized and held together by only a clip. Do not place it in a folder, binder or envelop.

Make a copy of your completed packet for your reference.]

I didn't see anything about mailing anything in...

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone who took the 2013 written test. I passed they said we would hear about interviews in couple of weeks

Forum Member

passed here as well

Thread Information