Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hillsborough County

Quote Originally Posted by Truck-10-VES View Post
    Awesome man. Congratulations. Now set up a deferred comp.
    Can't stress that enough. County pays 3% of your salary into the account. Even if you dont contribute (which you should!), they put 3% of your salary in. Free money!!!
    Truck-10-VES likes this.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, being from out of state but holding a paramedic license, coule you apply at HCFR as a single role paramedic and evetually transfer over to the fire side? I noticed that they take applications for paramedic only, was wondering since my fire certs are from out of state that I could get hired as a paramedic and eventually go to the academy and obtain my ffII in FL

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by tp0916emt View Post
    Just out of curiosity, being from out of state but holding a paramedic license, coule you apply at HCFR as a single role paramedic and evetually transfer over to the fire side? I noticed that they take applications for paramedic only, was wondering since my fire certs are from out of state that I could get hired as a paramedic and eventually go to the academy and obtain my ffII in FL

Thanks guys
    Not sure how it is now, used to be 3 years after you achieve standalone status (roughly a year, 1196 hours on the box you could test), then I heard just one year. But FMI us a promotion for HCFR now, not just automatic.
    Give them a call, look them up on facebook. They are very accessible and ready to answer questions.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tp0916emt View Post

Thanks guys
    HCFR only hires firefighter/emt and paramedic positions now. both can apply for firemedic whenever there is an opening.

Forum Member

Anyone know what HCFR is looking for score wise on the fire team?

MembersZone Subscriber

HCFR has opened up their hiring process again for the postion of Firefighter/EMT...

Date Opened 5/3/2013 12:01:00 PM
    Filing Deadline 5/17/2013 11:59:00 AM
    Salary $38,663.00 - $58,381.00/year

Minimum Qualifications MUST be attained before the recruitment ending date.

Minimum Qualifications:

Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
    Possession of a valid State of Florida Firefighter's Certificate of Compliance; and
    Possession of a valid State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician certification; and
    Successfully passing the National Testing Network (NTN) administered Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) within the past 12 months; and
    Completion of the NTN Fire Team Test within the past 12 months; and
    Possession of a valid Florida Driver License.

SPECIAL NOTE: Hillsborough County Reserve Responders will be given preference.
    Last edited by Westside_35; 05-04-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Any idea how many they're looking to hire? They just put a class through.

Quote Originally Posted by Westside_35 View Post
    HCFR has opened up their hiring process again for the postion of Firefighter/EMT...

Date Opened 5/3/2013 12:01:00 PM
    Filing Deadline 5/17/2013 11:59:00 AM
    Salary $38,663.00 - $58,381.00/year

Minimum Qualifications MUST be attained before the recruitment ending date.

Minimum Qualifications:

Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
    Possession of a valid State of Florida Firefighter's Certificate of Compliance; and
    Possession of a valid State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician certification; and
    Successfully passing the National Testing Network (NTN) administered Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) within the past 12 months; and
    Completion of the NTN Fire Team Test within the past 12 months; and
    Possession of a valid Florida Driver License.

SPECIAL NOTE: Hillsborough County Reserve Responders will be given preference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bestcoast858 View Post
    Any idea how many they're looking to hire? They just put a class through.
    the rumor is 10 to replace those who didn't make it through orientation over the last few hires.

Forum Member

Yikes. So it will basically be all reserves then since they get first preference.

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    the rumor is 10 to replace those who didn't make it through orientation over the last few hires.

Forum Member

Yikes. So it will basically be all reserves then since they get first preference.
    you never know. "given preference" can mean a lot of things. I don't think it means they're guaranteed. I know of two reservists who aren't even applying.

Forum Member

Thanks for your input, I assume that you're on with them from your username.

Are the engines BLS? Do they respond with the rescues? What station is the busiest in the county? Once again, thanks for responding.

you never know. "given preference" can mean a lot of things. I don't think it means they're guaranteed. I know of two reservists who aren't even applying.

Forum Member

Are the engines BLS? Do they respond with the rescues? What station is the busiest in the county? Once again, thanks for responding.
    basically everything is ALS. the only ones that aren't are the air trucks and tankers, and one engine way down south that runs less than one call per shift on average. we have a tiered response which is dispatched alpha, brave, charlie, delta. alpha gets a bls unit only (private company). bravo gets an engine and maybe a bls depending on the nature (medical alarm, person down, traffic crash). charlie is rescue only (there aren't too many of these). delta is engine and rescue (chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc.) these are the basic responses, but they can all vary in different ways. Station 14 is the busiest.

Forum Member

On probation, do they put the rookies at busier stations? Do they split your time up on a truck and engine?

basically everything is ALS. the only ones that aren't are the air trucks and tankers, and one engine way down south that runs less than one call per shift on average. we have a tiered response which is dispatched alpha, brave, charlie, delta. alpha gets a bls unit only (private company). bravo gets an engine and maybe a bls depending on the nature (medical alarm, person down, traffic crash). charlie is rescue only (there aren't too many of these). delta is engine and rescue (chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc.) these are the basic responses, but they can all vary in different ways. Station 14 is the busiest.

Forum Member

On probation, do they put the rookies at busier stations? Do they split your time up on a truck and engine?
    not really. I think we've hired 250+ in the last year or two, so you go where the need is. you have to be truck qualified now to be on a truck. and we only have 4 trucks, so...

not really. I think we've hired 250+ in the last year or two, so you go where the need is. you have to be truck qualified now to be on a truck. and we only have 4 trucks, so...
    Holy crap. What are they up to, badge #1400 or so?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

right at 1300 now

right at 1300 now
    Wow. If I had stayed.......
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for your input, I assume that you're on with them from your username.

Let me start off by saying this is a great department to work for. One of the best in the nation. Like reebok said, with the exception air trucks and tankers and one engine down south, everything is ALS. With that being said, if you are planning on applying to work for Hillsborough, BLS should never to mind unless you want to ride backwards your whole career. For new hires, in order to be promoted anymore you have to have your paramedic.

Station 14 is the busiest, with Engine 5 being the busiest out of station 14. From what I have gathered so far it seems like Bat 1 and 3 see alot of fire, but the county as a whole gets their share.

Also like reebok said, with the amount of people hired just within the last 6 months, 3 classes 25+, mine was 39 people, we lost 4, they send you where ever they need you.
    Last edited by Westside_35; 05-20-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westside_35 View Post

Station 14 is the busiest, with Engine 5 being the busiest out of station 14. From what I have gathered so far it seems like Bat 1 and 3 see alot of fire, but the county as a whole gets their share.
    Didn't 14A get listed as one of the nations busiest Engine Cos one year?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah. 14A is now engine 5. they built a new station 14, and they are remodelling the old one and that is going to be station 5 now.

Thread Information