• 1 Post By tree68
  • 1 Post By Miller337

Thread: Really?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Really?

This is a ad on firehouse.com.

http://pyrolance.com/?page_id=73

Forum Member

going inside is dangerous, I'm just here to get a tshirt and tell tales at the bar to women that don't know any better

Forum Member

Beats me if it really works, I'm going to submit a request for one though. My thinking being that anything else I request will seem fairly sane and acceptable.
    FireInTheShire likes this.

Let's talk fire trucks!

They've been marketing the hell out of these things at FDIC and the Baltimore Show the past couple of years.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

these are made for pussys that are scared of going inside

Forum Member

Wow !!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Likely based on the high-pressure pulse technology being seen in Europe.

The theory is that you inject a small amount of water under very high pressure the rapid steam conversion will have a significant affect on the fire.

From what I have seen and read, thier use is similair to that of a 2 1/2g extinguisher - smaller, inciepint fires and mopup.

As far as devices such as this being for pussies, you my friend, are an
    idiot.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-10-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

The theory is that you inject a small amount of water under very high pressure the rapid steam conversion will have a significant affect on the fire.

From what I have seen and read, thier use is similair to that of a 2 1/2g extinguisher - smaller, inciepint fires and mopup.

idiot.
    How many of these devices have you advocated the purchase of for your FD's?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have never seen one of these in person but it seems to be little more than a high tech piercing nozzle with a heck of a lot less flow potential once the hole is made.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    How many of these devices have you advocated the purchase of for your FD's?
    Actually none.

Since they seem to perform the function of a water can, and my combo department does not use water cans, tthey would have minimal value.

I can see some applications for these however, but I would suspect these devices are probably pretty costly and would likely not be a cost-effective purchase.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I have never seen one of these in person but it seems to be little more than a high tech piercing nozzle with a heck of a lot less flow potential once the hole is made.
    However they do offer ther advantage ot rapid deployment and mobility on incipient fires.

I could see some applications where this device would be quite practical, except, as stated above, i have a feeling the cost would be a significant issue for most smaller departments.

Forum Member

Our department has one of these. We purchased it due to a mid-size train yard we have, and though rare, fires in the containers or locomotives are a pain in the ***. Combined with the long lead-out for water supply makes it an awful operation.

The engine who is first up to the yard carries it and will put it into operation while the second engine leads into the first. Then we'll bring out the K12 and open it up and drop another line or two and overhaul it. But the Lance does a decent job of knocking it down.

I don't know the exact cost, but it was hefty. We were able to convince the operator of the train yard to split it 50/50 with us, because of the potential to limit their losses.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I agree; first time I saw the ad I couldn't help but wonder if an old-fashioned piercing nozzle and maul wouldn't be much cheaper, and probably last longer too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just another specialized tool in the toolbox. If your department has a use for it, you'll buy one and probably love it, as ATFDFF's department seems to.

If your department doesn't have a use for it, don't buy it - it'll be every bit the waste of money it seems to some to be.

As for being afraid of going inside - with shipping containers such as ATFDFF mentions, getting inside isn't always as easy as popping a door, especially if it's at the bottom of a doublestack. The railroad's eagerness to help with the purchase means they see the possibility of saving some money on damage claims.

I really don't see a use for it in "normal" structures.
    DeputyMarshal likes this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

idiot.
    The fact that you made at least four spelling errors and used incredibly poor sentence structure to tell someone their an idiot seems ironic somehow.
    BLSboy likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Our department has one of these. We purchased it due to a mid-size train yard we have, and though rare, fires in the containers or locomotives are a pain in the ***. Combined with the long lead-out for water supply makes it an awful operation.

The engine who is first up to the yard carries it and will put it into operation while the second engine leads into the first. Then we'll bring out the K12 and open it up and drop another line or two and overhaul it. But the Lance does a decent job of knocking it down.

I don't know the exact cost, but it was hefty. We were able to convince the operator of the train yard to split it 50/50 with us, because of the potential to limit their losses.
    I could see this as atool with value around here in several ways.

It would be pretty handy for fires between the roof of a mobile home and the added-on roof, which is fairly common. Also would be handy for the space between the interior and exterior wall.

While I agree the the piercing nozzle can do the same job, I see this tool's mobility, speed and low water usage as significant advantages. Obviously cost is a significant disadvantage.

Could see it having more suppression capability than a standard water can due to the high pressure pulse. It would be pretty interesting to get our hands on one and see what it can do.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    The fact that you made at least four spelling errors and used incredibly poor sentence structure to tell someone their an idiot seems ironic somehow.
    Maybe it is.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Just another specialized tool in the toolbox. If your department has a use for it, you'll buy one and probably love it, as ATFDFF's department seems to.

If your department doesn't have a use for it, don't buy it - it'll be every bit the waste of money it seems to some to be.

As for being afraid of going inside - with shipping containers such as ATFDFF mentions, getting inside isn't always as easy as popping a door, especially if it's at the bottom of a doublestack. The railroad's eagerness to help with the purchase means they see the possibility of saving some money on damage claims.

I really don't see a use for it in "normal" structures.
    I'd agree. I think their ad is overstating it's usefulness, but there are times when you just can't get into where the fire is. Definitely not for every dept., but usefull in the right situation.

Forum Member

Did you guys look at piercing nozzles, if so why did you decide against them? Seems like the only thing the fire lance does better (for what you use them for) is impersonate an M-16.

We have a standard POK piercing nozzle and we can/have beat that thing trough just about anything with a sledge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillST View Post
    Did you guys look at piercing nozzles, if so why did you decide against them? Seems like the only thing the fire lance does better (for what you use them for) is impersonate an M-16.

We have a standard POK piercing nozzle and we can/have beat that thing trough just about anything with a sledge.
    Yes we did look at some, and in the end they would have worked alright. However, the real factor we went with this prodcut was the low GPMs it puts out (I think roughly 10-12GPM....but don't quote me on that). Being an all urban/suburban area, our engines are spec'd with 500 gallon tanks. And even though we are well hydranted, it still takes a significant amount of time wait for the 2nd engine to get on scene, lay in several hundred feet of 5 inch through the rail yard, and establish the water supply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Is this a joke, or another bit of irony on the subject?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Yes we did look at some, and in the end they would have worked alright. However, the real factor we went with this prodcut was the low GPMs it puts out (I think roughly 10-12GPM....but don't quote me on that). Being an all urban/suburban area, our engines are spec'd with 500 gallon tanks. And even though we are well hydranted, it still takes a significant amount of time wait for the 2nd engine to get on scene, lay in several hundred feet of 5 inch through the rail yard, and establish the water supply.
    Makes sense, have you guys used got to use it yet? How does it handle a compartmentalized fire with the low volume of water?

Thread Information