Like Tree47Likes

Thread: TV Show Chicago Fire

Forum Member

I watched the show with my wife and it was ok. She's in the medical field as well and we both saw the issues that others have noted, but unlike Rescue Me where after 10 minutes my ears were bleeding and I refused to watch it again this show wasn't to bad. Now I know they have to have plots to have a show, but lets work on some realistic ones. One of medics is gay..*yawn* who cares... Issues between officers? *shocker!* I did like that they didn't sugar coat things especially where people can not be saved. Let's see how it goes and if the ratings aren't there then it goes away.

Forum Member

I like how there are plenty of engine companies outside, but none of their crews ever make any progress on the fire.

Ada
    Forum Member

Forum Member

I watched just enough last night to see them remove a section of impaled wrought iron fence from a guy's back... on scene. Oh, Lord, make it stop.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Already posted on the entertainment forum, but more folks here:

Just watched it, what a steaming pile of dung. The only part that felt real was the guy talking about his foreclosure and non-existent sex life. THAT was a funny scene.

The commercial fire scene with the guy hanging over the hole, I was waiting for the "You go, we go" just like Backdraft.

And they had to make one of the female paramedics gay, so they can fit in with every other hollywood show. I know it's fricking TV, but the same medic does a pleural decompression and a pericardiocentesis, plus gets held at gunpoint, in the first episode? What's left for season three?

The BC comes to a fire from a boxing bout? And do you think the rescue co. Lt could shave? He shows up at the hospital with 12 o'clock stubble and a leather jacket looking like Mad Max. Just make it stop...
    Well the lesbian Paramedic seems to be the most right on thing I have seen so far on the show. It has its issues, but the show is not that bad. Seems on par with Third Watch past its first season, and blows Code Red away, no offense intended to the late great Lorne Green.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Well the lesbian Paramedic seems to be the most right on thing I have seen so far on the show. It has its issues, but the show is not that bad. Seems on par with Third Watch past its first season, and blows Code Red away, no offense intended to the late great Lorne Green.
    This show has nothing but issues. It doesn't blow Code Red away, it just blows. A paramedic that can diagnose V-fib with a carotid pulse???? Riiiiiight. And struts to hold the end of a car DOWN??? As far as I'm concerned, all the shows you mentioned suck.

Forum Member

The struts did throw me for a loop too. Physics do not apply on TV.

Emergency! remains the only great firefighter show.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post

Is she the actress who played the hoozy in Jerry Springer's "Ringmaster" movie several years ago? Sure looks like her.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am done with this three ring fiasco. What has done it for me is the absolute BS of a paramedic being able to steal drugs and give the to a firefighter with absolutely no accountability for the drugs. Pure Hollywood fiction that makes us all look so bad that I am put a fork in me done with this show.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Default Chicago Fire

Captain Old Timer....Your thinking of Jaime Pressly in Springer's Film. She played Earl's wife on the sitcom .."My Name is Earl"....
    Last edited by JayDudley; 10-25-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I watched just enough last night to see them remove a section of impaled wrought iron fence from a guy's back... on scene. Oh, Lord, make it stop.
    Too gross?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Forum Member

I visited Chicago for the very first time this January. I'm 18 and I am very interested by CFD and CPD.

I returned to Chicago in March for a conference and again for the NATO protests to cover CPD.

And I'll be returning this November to cover CFD.

I just think the show, itself, is interesting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsherHeimermann View Post
    I visited Chicago for the very first time this January. I'm 18 and I am very interested by CFD and CPD.

I returned to Chicago in March for a conference and again for the NATO protests to cover CPD.

And I'll be returning this November to cover CFD.

I just think the show, itself, is interesting.
    Do yourself a favor, quit watching the show and delete every memory of it. I doubt you'll get any respect by mentioning the show. BTW, the part about them trying to mooch money for a new TV was absolutely reprehensible. WE BUY OUR OWN TV'S.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Do yourself a favor, quit watching the show and delete every memory of it. I doubt you'll get any respect by mentioning the show. BTW, the part about them trying to mooch money for a new TV was absolutely reprehensible. WE BUY OUR OWN TV'S.
    We buy our own TVs from the revenue from the soda machine. We also use that money for other mutually agreed upon items for the firehouse, like a ping pong table.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

*Candidate is cleaning up while other firefighters are watching TV*

Candidate: "Is it always this slow at night?"

Firefighter: "He did not just say that"

*A second later the bell goes off*

I must admit I loled at this.
    detroitfire1552 likes this.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Forum Member

This show is not the best but it isnt terrible. It wont win any awards. I know its fictional, but I would love to see a little more realism. Just my .02. "Rescue Me" was good
    Test 2000
    score : 97

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Bonilla View Post
    This show is not the best but it isnt terrible. It wont win any awards. I know its fictional, but I would love to see a little more realism. Just my .02. "Rescue Me" was good
    Seriously, as bad a light as this disaster plays on firefighters it IS terrible.

Rescue Me had moments, but to me the best year was the first and it got worse every year after that.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Me to. One of our probies said something like that and I turned to her and shook my head. We had a call about an hour later :P

Forum Member

everyone here is too uptight. its a TV show made to get ratings. if you look into it any more than that you take yourself way too seriously.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    everyone here is too uptight. its a TV show made to get ratings. if you look into it any more than that you take yourself way too seriously.
    No we're not "too uptight". This show is about our livelyhood, and some people actually believe this crap is true. Most of us depend on taxes or the donations from our public to fund our departments. If people thought that firefighters and paramedics actually were like the actors on the show, it could seriously influence them to vote against us or not donate. You are most likely from a small dept. so you should be VERY concerned about the image this show portrays.
    If you knew your fire service history very well, you'd know that the show Emergency! was VERY instrumental in getting Paramedics and EMS established in the fire service in this country. This was a positive effect of TV, Chicago Fire is not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    No we're not "too uptight". This show is about our livelyhood, and some people actually believe this crap is true. Most of us depend on taxes or the donations from our public to fund our departments. If people thought that firefighters and paramedics actually were like the actors on the show, it could seriously influence them to vote against us or not donate.
    Preeeeeeeeeeeecisely.

The entertainment industry thinks people in a certain field are soooooo flattered to have their careers featured on a TV show that they will overlook unrealistic depictions of the work.

And why on earth do these shows have technical advisors when they clearly make no effort to take their advice? Or are their technical advisors just that bad? (I think it's the former.)

Forum Member

The show Chicago Fire was not intended to be an instructional tool or technical exhibition for firefighting and EMS operations. Some of your expectations are so strict that you'd expect the show was sponsored by the NFPA or something. Chicago Fire is a television drama. It's Hollywood people! The moment you lose track of that fact, you are bound to be disappointed.

Do you think ER docs are bitching and moaning about the portrayal of their profession on Grey's Anatomy, House, or ER? There are countless cop shows that depict law enforcement trampling Constitutional rights at every turn...not to mention the ubiquitous car chases and public shoot outs in populated areas. Are cops fussing and bent out of shape about this? Perhaps some are, but I think most of them understand that television is television, and real life is real life.

Someone mentioned that this show could trick the public into believing a lie. Hey, all we can do is our jobs the best we can. As long as we continue to serve the public selflessly and with dignity, public perception won't be an issue. Just relax and enjoy the show.
    Last edited by maverick80; 11-01-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    The show Chicago Fire was not intended to be an instructional tool or technical exhibition for firefighting and EMS operations. Some of your expectations are so strict that you'd expect the show was sponsored by the NFPA or something. Chicago Fire is a television drama. It's Hollywood people! The moment you lose track of that fact, you are bound to be disappointed.

Do you think ER docs are bitching and moaning about the portrayal of their profession on Grey's Anatomy, House, or ER? There are countless cop shows that depict law enforcement trampling Constitutional rights at every turn...not to mention the ubiquitous car chases and public shoot outs in populated areas. Are cops fussing and bent out of shape about this? Perhaps some are, but I think most of them understand that television is television, and real life is real life.

Someone mentioned that this show could trick the public into believing a lie. Hey, all we can do is our jobs the best we can. As long as we continue to serve the public selflessly and with dignity, public perception won't be an issue. Just relax and enjoy the show.
    You are VERY ignorant if you think public perception ISN'T an issue. Juries are often skewed because they expect "CSI Miami" type evidence at just about every trial.
    I'd lay down money that Doc's and Cops ARE bitching about shows about them that don't portray things accurately. Yes they know that TV is TV, but they also know a lot of morons believe what they see on TV. And bad TV shows DO affect what people think and expect of us.

PS, none of us enjoy shows about firefighting that suck.

Forum Member

The public doesn't care whether firefighters wears SCBA in a structure fire, or use a rope to descend into a collapse zone instead of a ground ladder, or whether a medic is really able to detect v-fib with a carotid pulse and so on - only firefighters care. And frankly, it doesn't even matter what they think about those technical things. But that's the majority of the criticism that I see on this thread (e.g., proper SOPs).

Now, I can see where you might get annoyed with the high school like antics between the men and women on the show (e.g., sexing in the closet, stealing meds, etc.). But again, any TV SHOW these days are going to over-dramatize things for the sake of ratings. PERIOD. As far as I'm concerned, there will never be a fair and accurate depiction of firefighting and the firehouse dynamic as long as RATINGS determine if a show stays on the air. I understand that you don't like it. But stop nit-picking every thing you see, as if you expected it to be different. If so, then you my friend are the IGNORANT one.

Forum Member

The ignorant ones in this conversation are not the posters, they are the TV audiences who will watch this show and think:

1. If someone is impaled on something, pull it out.
    2. If your house is on fire, there won't be much smoke, so go ahead and try to extinguish it.
    3. If someone has been in a car wreck and has a big fat gash on their forehead, tell them to turn their head.
    4. If paramedics want to utilize their drugs for non-EMS purposes, there's no way anyone will notice.
    5. Firefighters are a bunch of horny dopehead egomaniacs who can't get along, and they are not worth your tax dollars.

THAT is what is wrong with the show. Perceptions like those are real, the show DOES create them in some people, and it DOES do harm when that happens.
    FyredUp, Chenzo and yjbrody like this.

Thread Information