+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: TV Show Chicago Fire

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    The ignorant ones in this conversation are not the posters, they are the TV audiences who will watch this show and think:

1. If someone is impaled on something, pull it out.
    2. If your house is on fire, there won't be much smoke, so go ahead and try to extinguish it.
    3. If someone has been in a car wreck and has a big fat gash on their forehead, tell them to turn their head.
    4. If paramedics want to utilize their drugs for non-EMS purposes, there's no way anyone will notice.
    5. Firefighters are a bunch of horny dopehead egomaniacs who can't get along, and they are not worth your tax dollars.

THAT is what is wrong with the show. Perceptions like those are real, the show DOES create them in some people, and it DOES do harm when that happens.
    This post is so good I have nothing to add other than to say "OH H E L L YEAH!"
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    The public doesn't care whether firefighters wears SCBA in a structure fire, or use a rope to descend into a collapse zone instead of a ground ladder, or whether a medic is really able to detect v-fib with a carotid pulse and so on - only firefighters care. And frankly, it doesn't even matter what they think about those technical things. But that's the majority of the criticism that I see on this thread (e.g., proper SOPs).

Now, I can see where you might get annoyed with the high school like antics between the men and women on the show (e.g., sexing in the closet, stealing meds, etc.). But again, any TV SHOW these days are going to over-dramatize things for the sake of ratings. PERIOD. As far as I'm concerned, there will never be a fair and accurate depiction of firefighting and the firehouse dynamic as long as RATINGS determine if a show stays on the air. I understand that you don't like it. But stop nit-picking every thing you see, as if you expected it to be different. If so, then you my friend are the IGNORANT one.
    Really ...... You define stealing drugs and shooting up on the job as a "high school antic"? I'm sorta glad i don't work or volunteer at your station.

I really don't care how they get into a collapse zone or if they wear thier SCBA, but I do care when a supposedly professionally staffed fire station is controlled by some crybaby (and at least one very unprofessional looking) company officers, and probabtional members are greeted at the door and thrown into a task within 2 minutes of walking into the station.

Yes, that crap does make the whole fire service look bad to the public watching the show that likely knows no better.

There will be members of the public that do decide that this is the way the fire service operates and will remember it the next time a poltician decides that they are going to cut the budget, so IT DOES have an effect on us.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Really ...... You define stealing drugs and shooting up on the job as a "high school antic"? I'm sorta glad i don't work or volunteer at your station.

I really don't care how they get into a collapse zone or if they wear thier SCBA, but I do care when a supposedly professionally staffed fire station is controlled by some crybaby (and at least one very unprofessional looking) company officers, and probabtional members are greeted at the door and thrown into a task within 2 minutes of walking into the station.

Yes, that crap does make the whole fire service look bad to the public watching the show that likely knows no better.

There will be members of the public that do decide that this is the way the fire service operates and will remember it the next time a poltician decides that they are going to cut the budget, so IT DOES have an effect on us.
    I concede that the show is NOT an accurate depiction of professional firefighters and in many respects MISREPRESENTS the fire service. And, I can understand your annoyance with it. But this show is not a documentary like The Bravest, or The Brotherhood (two excellent series by the way). This is a fictional drama, and I think most (certainly, not all) of the viewing public recognizes that many of the scenarios on the show are scripted to appeal to the masses.

Maybe I'm being too naive or not cynical enough, but I don't think that most Americans are going to base their vote on safety budgets on the tv show Chicago Fire. Me thinks they are going to take inventory of their own community issues and needs and make their decision based mostly on that. Not a fictional tv show.

Forum Member

I concede that the show is NOT an accurate depiction of professional firefighters and in many respects MISREPRESENTS the fire service. And, I can understand your annoyance with it. But this show is not a documentary like The Bravest, or The Brotherhood (two excellent series by the way). This is a fictional drama, and I think most (certainly, not all) of the viewing public recognizes that many of the scenarios on the show are scripted to appeal to the masses.

Maybe I'm being too naive or not cynical enough, but I don't think that most Americans are going to base their vote on safety budgets on the tv show Chicago Fire. Me thinks they are going to take inventory of their own community issues and needs and make their decision based mostly on that. Not a fictional tv show.
    You're not naive, you're just plain ignorant.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    You're not naive, you're just plain ignorant.
    Yeah...whatever you say, bud. NBC's Chicago Fire spells the gutting of fire dept budgets everywhere and the demise of firefighters' relationship with the public as we know it. We gotta do something now to stop this show because it poses a real threat to public safety! lmao

Forum Member

how about posting about the chicago LODD that happened tonight, instead of worrying about a TV drama.
    ATFDFF likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 233wacker View Post
    how about posting about the chicago LODD that happened tonight, instead of worrying about a TV drama.

Look around it been posed in the forums twice...
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Yeah...whatever you say, bud. NBC's Chicago Fire spells the gutting of fire dept budgets everywhere and the demise of firefighters' relationship with the public as we know it. We gotta do something now to stop this show because it poses a real threat to public safety! lmao
    Now you're just plain stupid.

Forum Member

He's mostly naive. So many people in this country know the fire service only from what they see on TV and in the movies, just like medicine and law enforcement. As was noted earlier, Emergency! played a big part in funding paramedics.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

johnsb motto: "If you disagree, I will insult you."

Forum Member

Actually, I think he just hit you in the funny bone with a hammer forged out of pure sarcasm.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Actually, I think he just hit you in the funny bone with a hammer forged out of pure sarcasm.
    I'll have to see if Lowe's carries those the next time I'm there.

Forum Member

use a rope to descend into a collapse zone instead of a ground ladder.
    See, I could tolerate them using rope to descent into a collapse zone. I have a problem with everyone sliding down a charged 2 1/2 inch hose line that is being hung through the rungs of the ladder. I mean, c'mon, really? that doesn't even sound like a good idea!!!!

Some other issues I see: the Lt going to the bar to have a chat with the corrupt cop, and his chief comes in 5 minutes later to make sure he is ok. the truck vs squad officers can't get along, and I think the squad driver is a drunk. oh, and the hot medic is as big of a womanizer as the squad Lt, and they are roomates!!!

and are we really going to scream for struts to support a car that is presently falling over the end of an overpass? And as for the BC boxing on duty and going on a job, I'm ok with that. aren't Chief officers able to work out during their shift just like line staff? I know my former career Lt was in the gym when an EMS call went out, he ran out in his gym clothes, put on his bunker pants, and went on the call.

The technical stuff (anything fire or rescue related, and all the EMS stuff that paramedics can't really do) did cause me to shake my head in shame. all the personal drama is a little over the top, but drama is how actors portray the roles they are cast in.

Just remember, it's a fictional show, and if the public thinks this is how their departments operates, than they really need to work on their public relations.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I like this show. It's not perfect, but it does have story structure, character development, some funny parts and some serious parts. I find it entertaining.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Forum Member

I'd rather just pull out my Emergency! DVDs.

Forum Member

I'd rather just pull out my Emergency! DVDs.
    Johnny and Roy played union FFPm's, and they were portrayed as very knowledgeable in their field. Eventually they tested and promoted after being on a list. To this day, in their private lives, they are very much pro fire department and pro union.

I hope I just ruined that show for you.
    Chenzo likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Johnny and Roy played union FFPm's, and they were portrayed as very knowledgeable in their field. Eventually they tested and promoted after being on a list. To this day, in their private lives, they are very much pro fire department and pro union.

I hope I just ruined that show for you.
    Nope. Didn't at all.

I really don't care if they were pro-union or not.

And even though my department is going civil service, we will not be using the promotional system used by both neighboring career departments which simply involves a test and waiting your time. There will be some pretty significant department required certification and training requirements tied to any promotions, which is allowed under LA civil service law.

Forum Member

Nope. Didn't at all.

Probably because you don't understand that where you don't have intimidation and fear people won't capitulate and volunteer back for free to their job.

A Union would take away your bully pulpit and silence your intimidation of other paid employees there. You would be scum on the top of the pond and recognized for being the management lacky that you are.

And even though my department is going civil service, we will not be using the promotional system used by both neighboring career departments which simply involves a test and waiting your time. There will be some pretty significant department required certification and training requirements tied to any promotions, which is allowed under LA civil service law.

Golly, I would bet one of those required certifications is your hated FF1...Funny to the point of insanity that you won't support FF1 Certiication UNLESS someone wants to be promoted...THEN you think it is a good idea.
    You are completely clueless on the topics of Unions and every time you post your anti-Union drivel it shows.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Nope. Didn't at all.

Probably because you don't understand that where you don't have intimidation and fear people won't capitulate and volunteer back for free to their job.

It's too bad that few career members in Prince George County made stink about career members volunteering when they weren't required to do so and it wasn't affecting them. If a person wants to volunteer back when off-duty, the idea that the government can say that i can't is absolute nonsense.

A Union would take away your bully pulpit and silence your intimidation of other paid employees there. You would be scum on the top of the pond and recognized for being the management lacky that you are.

I actually have very little if any influence over any of the paid staff. You are really giving far more credit in that area than i deserve. I speak my mind about how unionization will destroy a very solid relationship with the volunteer Chief and the full-time DC that are responsible for administration.

As far as management lacky, I believe that there are rules, management control and other protocols for a reason, and I have no issues in following them, even if that means "ratting" out members, career or volunteer, that decide that those rules do not apply to them.

Golly, I would bet one of those required certifications is your hated FF1...Funny to the point of insanity that you won't support FF1 Certiication UNLESS someone wants to be promoted...THEN you think it is a good idea.

We require FFI and Driver/Operator for our career firefighters. We have discussed the destructive influence on volunteer membership in most rural and low/moderate density surburban volunteer departments such as ours in the past with no resolution.

We are talking about FFII, Instructor I and Officer I for our career members to take the civil service test for captain as minimum requirements. We likely may include Instructor II as well.

There is significant discussion regarding Paramedic.

I would not support that for promotion on the volunteer level for our volunteer Captains.

I fully support requiring realistic certifications for career members in both combo and all-career departments as it is their profession.

You are completely clueless on the topics of Unions and every time you post your anti-Union drivel it shows.

Yes, you are right on that. I have little knowledge but I can't honestly tell you what value a union would have in our organization, other than to drive a deeper wedge between the career and volunteer members, which are the true heart of our department, beyond what the forced implementation of civil service has and will do in the long run. Certainly the hiring of a second shift firefighter, which I opposed, has also done some significant damage as well.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-23-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Forum Member

Can you learn how to use the quote feature please?
    Chenzo likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

No because that would take the mental capacity of approximately a 10 year old....
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Nope. Didn't at all.

It's too bad that few career members in Prince George County made stink about career members volunteering when they weren't required to do so and it wasn't affecting them. If a person wants to volunteer back when off-duty, the idea that the government can say that i can't is absolute nonsense.

SO, FINALLY YOU ADMIT IT IS AGAINST THE LAW!! Smooth move...GENIUS!!

[COLOR="#FF0000"]

I actually have very little if any influence over any of the paid staff. You are really giving far more credit in that area than i deserve. I speak my mind about how unionization will destroy a very solid relationship with the volunteer Chief and the full-time DC that are responsible for administration.

]
    Who knows what power or influence you wield. You have changed you story about 20 times.

As far as management lacky, I believe that there are rules, management control and other protocols for a reason, and I have no issues in following them, even if that means "ratting" out members, career or volunteer, that decide that those rules do not apply to them.

Nice choice of words. Says a lot about you. You can report infractions without being a RAT. How? By going to the offending member FIRST and giving them a chance to explain and correct the actions. If they don't then you go up the food chain. You don't revel in it and call yourself a RAT. Seriously you are a demented sad person.

We require FFI and Driver/Operator for our career firefighters. We have discussed the destructive influence on volunteer membership in most rural and low/moderate density surburban volunteer departments such as ours in the past with no resolution.

You have stated previously that you require FF1 for your vollies to seek promotion...so which is it now?

We are talking about FFII, Instructor I and Officer I for our career members to take the civil service test for captain as minimum requirements. We likely may include Instructor II as well.

There is significant discussion regarding Paramedic.

I would not support that for promotion on the volunteer level for our volunteer Captains.

I fully support requiring realistic certifications for career members in both combo and all-career departments as it is their profession.

Yes, you are right on that. I have little knowledge but I can't honestly tell you what value a union would have in our organization, other than to drive a deeper wedge between the career and volunteer members, which are the true heart of our department, beyond what the forced implementation of civil service has and will do in the long run. Certainly the hiring of a second shift firefighter, which I opposed, has also done some significant damage as well.

WOW! Obstructionist much? Apparently you had no trouble with the Chief hiring you. AND you waste time chatting here during yur work day. Sounds like you don't have enough workload.
    Stop posting on Union issues, you are woefully uninformed.
    snowball likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

You have stated previously that you require FF1 for your vollies to seek promotion...so which is it now?

Yes, as I have stated we do require FFI for promotion for our volunteers.

That being said, we will likely require more in the way of certifications for a promotion to captain for career personnel.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Stop posting on Union issues, you are woefully uninformed.
    AS I have stated, we don't use the union, here , or any other place I have worked, and care never too as I see little or no benefit to unionization at my career department.

It's the pro-union posters here that seem to feel that we should be unionized. Talk about uninformed.

Forum Member

How about getting back on the topic of the TV show, and remembering it's JUST A TV SHOW. Nothing more or less. It's entertainment. Does it portray FF any worse than Rescue Me did? Not even close.

It's an entrttaining TV show, do I like the drug aspect of it, NO!! But it's just TV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 First ... 23456 Last

Thread Information