+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: TV Show Chicago Fire

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    You have stated previously that you require FF1 for your vollies to seek promotion...so which is it now?

Yes, as I have stated we do require FFI for promotion for our volunteers.

That being said, we will likely require more in the way of certifications for a promotion to captain for career personnel.
    Why require something that you say is essentially worthless for your vollies to get promotion? Yet not require is simply to be a firefighter? Your FDs hypocrisy on this issue is mind boggling.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

AS I have stated, we don't use the union, here , or any other place I have worked, and care never too as I see little or no benefit to unionization at my career department.

It's the pro-union posters here that seem to feel that we should be unionized. Talk about uninformed.
    I frankly don't give a tinker's da mn whether you are Union, anti-Union, right to work, or whatever. What bothers me is you pushing your totally anti-Union agenda even when you aren't involved in the conversation otherwise. How about you shut your pie hole about how negative Unions are, with no personal experience on your part of ever having been in the IAFF, and most here will shut ours about your FD. Even if you openly admit you are violating federal law.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-24-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I frankly don't give a tinker's da mn whether you are Union, anti-Union, right to work, or whatever. What bothers me is you pushing your totally anti-Union agenda even when you aren't involved in the conversation otherwise. How about you shut your pie hole about how negative Unions are, with no personal experience on your part of ever having been in the IAFF, and most here will shut ours about your FD. Even if you openly admit you are violating federal law.
    It's a deal.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Why require something that you say is essentially worthless for your vollies to get promotion? Yet not require is simply to be a firefighter? Your FDs hypocrisy on this issue is mind boggling.
    And your apparent hangup with the need for FFI compared to solid department level training based on local conditions is equally mind boggling.

So it appears like we have a Mexican standoff.

Forum Member

It's a deal.
    Thank you...
    IAFF

Forum Member

And your apparent hangup with the need for FFI compared to solid department level training based on local conditions is equally mind boggling.

So it appears like we have a Mexican standoff.

Yet you STILL can't explain why something you see as worthless for firefighters is required for promotion, or to be a career firefighter in Bossier Parrish.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Yet you STILL can't explain why something you see as worthless for firefighters is required for promotion, or to be a career firefighter in Bossier Parrish.
    Actually, I have. Several times.

I never stated that FFI as a whole was worthless. I stated that FFI has very limited value as a "rookie class" when training new personnel on the basics of that department's operations.

I did state that there are elements of FFI that are worthless to some departments and simply do not need to be taught as they have no relevance.

A rookie needs to know how to operate a department's tools and equipment under that department's SOPs and procedures in the buildings and district covered by that department. They simply do not need the general knowledge base offered by FFI and do not need know about tools, equipment, operations and building construction not found within that agency.

A perfect example is vehicle extrication. if we followed FFI, a new member wouldn't learn about vehicle extrication until FFII. We feel it's far more important than many areas in FFI, so we include it in our rookie class. Same with industrial fire operations as we have a refinery and several gas-related facilities. Again, for us far more important than many other areas in FFI. Local conditions. Locally based training. It's that simple.

As that they gain time, they may be put in situations, either on the fireground in small team supervisory roles, or in the firehouse, possibly on tool and/or apparatus purchasing committees, where they will be supervising those with less time or being asked thier opinion. At that point the general knowledge of FFI becomes useful, which is why we require it for our senior personnel for promotion.

There are those that do not want promotion and are happy as a firefighter. While it would be nice for them to have FFI/FFII, it is certainly not critical to them, if they wish to stay at that rank.

As I also stated, it is required as a pre req for some LSU technical rescue and instructor/officer classes that do have significant value.

As far as career members, it's required due to their position often in supervisory roles.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-25-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Forum Member

I'll bet you flush the toilet before you wipe too.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Actually, I have. Several times.

I never stated that FFI as a whole was worthless. I stated that FFI has very limited value as a "rookie class" when training new personnel on the basics of that department's operations.

I did state that there are elements of FFI that are worthless to some departments and simply do not need to be taught as they have no relevance.

A rookie needs to know how to operate a department's tools and equipment under that department's SOPs and procedures in the buildings and district covered by that department. They simply do not need the general knowledge base offered by FFI and do not need know about tools, equipment, operations and building construction not found within that agency.

A perfect example is vehicle extrication. if we followed FFI, a new member wouldn't learn about vehicle extrication until FFII. We feel it's far more important than many areas in FFI, so we include it in our rookie class. Same with industrial fire operations as we have a refinery and several gas-related facilities. Again, for us far more important than many other areas in FFI. Local conditions. Locally based training. It's that simple.

As that they gain time, they may be put in situations, either on the fireground in small team supervisory roles, or in the firehouse, possibly on tool and/or apparatus purchasing committees, where they will be supervising those with less time or being asked thier opinion. At that point the general knowledge of FFI becomes useful, which is why we require it for our senior personnel for promotion.

There are those that do not want promotion and are happy as a firefighter. While it would be nice for them to have FFI/FFII, it is certainly not critical to them, if they wish to stay at that rank.

As I also stated, it is required as a pre req for some LSU technical rescue and instructor/officer classes that do have significant value.

As far as career members, it's required due to their position often in supervisory roles.
    Let me type this really slow for you. NO ONE EXPECTS YOU TO REPLACE YOUR INHOUSE TRAINING WITH FIREFIGHTER 1. It certainly doesn't on my career FD or either one of my POC FDs. It is meant to broaden the horizons of firefighters by teaching them GENERIC basics of firefighting. They are meant to be supplemented by local training on specifics like hose loads used...I even tell my students that in my classes.

So please stop making it sound like those of us that support National FF1 Certification are saying it should replace inhouse training because that is 100% WRONG.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BENV17 View Post
    How about getting back on the topic of the TV show, and remembering it's JUST A TV SHOW. Nothing more or less. It's entertainment. Does it portray FF any worse than Rescue Me did? Not even close.

It's an entrttaining TV show, do I like the drug aspect of it, NO!! But it's just TV.
    Emergency! was "just TV", but it got EMS in this country to a place that would've taken decades without the show. If you think Chicago Fire is entertaining, you probably think Jersey Shore and Jerry Springer are too.

Forum Member

Let me type this really slow for you. NO ONE EXPECTS YOU TO REPLACE YOUR INHOUSE TRAINING WITH FIREFIGHTER 1. It certainly doesn't on my career FD or either one of my POC FDs. It is meant to broaden the horizons of firefighters by teaching them GENERIC basics of firefighting. They are meant to be supplemented by local training on specifics like hose loads used...I even tell my students that in my classes.

Thing is that we disagree on the order.

You see the general knowledge of a mandatory FFI class followed up by department specific training as the way to go.

I see department specific rookie training followed up by an optional FFI expanding their horizons with general knowledge as the way to effectively train rookie personnel.

We have a very different view of how to train rookie volunteer personnel, and likely always will.

So please stop making it sound like those of us that support National FF1 Certification are saying it should replace inhouse training because that is 100% WRONG.
    Never said that you didn't support in-house training.

Time to a volunteer is valuable, and to waste that time on materials that they may never use through the delivery of generic course makes absolutely no sense to me. Train locally on local needs.

Forum Member

Ahh back to normal. Fyred and LA arguing. All is right in the Universe again.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    P i s s off Junior!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Ya. It was sorta funky in a weird way when we weren't.

Forum Member

Ya. It was sorta funky in a weird way when we weren't.
    When you are right people will stand with you...

When you are wrong only those that are also wrong will stand with you...
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    The show Chicago Fire was not intended to be an instructional tool or technical exhibition for firefighting and EMS operations. Some of your expectations are so strict that you'd expect the show was sponsored by the NFPA or something. Chicago Fire is a television drama. It's Hollywood people! The moment you lose track of that fact, you are bound to be disappointed.

Do you think ER docs are bitching and moaning about the portrayal of their profession on Grey's Anatomy, House, or ER? There are countless cop shows that depict law enforcement trampling Constitutional rights at every turn...not to mention the ubiquitous car chases and public shoot outs in populated areas. Are cops fussing and bent out of shape about this? Perhaps some are, but I think most of them understand that television is television, and real life is real life.

Someone mentioned that this show could trick the public into believing a lie. Hey, all we can do is our jobs the best we can. As long as we continue to serve the public selflessly and with dignity, public perception won't be an issue. Just relax and enjoy the show.
    Ask your public what they know about sprinklers. I'm willing to bet they will tell you they all activate at once due to smoke and/or pulling a pull station. Know why? "They saw it on TV/in the movies".

If you have paid any attention to the ongoing discussions/arguments about mandating sprinklers in new construction....you know this has already happened.

"public perception won't be an issue." - Get real.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Ask your public what they know about sprinklers. I'm willing to bet they will tell you they all activate at once due to smoke and/or pulling a pull station. Know why? "They saw it on TV/in the movies".

If you have paid any attention to the ongoing discussions/arguments about mandating sprinklers in new construction....you know this has already happened.

Home run post by the gentleman from Jersey.

Doctors and cops SHOULD be mad when TV shows portray their professions in a dumb and unrealistic way. I'll never forget stupid David Caruso stopping CSI:Miami "cop" colleagues from doing CPR on a victim when he couldn't find a carotid pulse.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 11-26-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

And that's part of the reason that it's tough to convience folks that sprinklers are effective and generally do not cause excessive water damage.

Is it shows like this that can make out lives more difficult.

Forum Member

And that's part of the reason that it's tough to convience folks that sprinklers are effective and generally do not cause excessive water damage.

Is it shows like this that can make out lives more difficult.
    Yep. "I don't want no spranklers. If'n my see-gar gits too smoky, everthang in mah house will git wet!"
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the show. I like talking **** about it the same way we do backdraft. The issues that most firefighter or EMS personnel see in this show probably go unnoticed by most of the public. The people here look at us as heroes. I cannot speak for other cities but the TV show Chicago Fire has done nothing to hurt "the job" here, our politicians do enough damage. I believe that shows like this keep the fire service relevant, because we all know that nobody thinks about the fire department until they need us.

God bless and stay low friends!
    Happy New Year
    Jerry Stewart
    Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
    Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
    Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com
    (313) 732 7377
    Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    I like the show. I like talking **** about it the same way we do backdraft. The issues that most firefighter or EMS personnel see in this show probably go unnoticed by most of the public. The people here look at us as heroes. I cannot speak for other cities but the TV show Chicago Fire has done nothing to hurt "the job" here, our politicians do enough damage. I believe that shows like this keep the fire service relevant, because we all know that nobody thinks about the fire department until they need us.

Happy New Year
    Heck, I'd wouldn't think you'd ever have time to watch TV in Detriot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post

Happy New Year
    On the money, detroitfire.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456

Thread Information