Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: TV Show Chicago Fire

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    The show Chicago Fire was not intended to be an instructional tool or technical exhibition for firefighting and EMS operations. Some of your expectations are so strict that you'd expect the show was sponsored by the NFPA or something. Chicago Fire is a television drama. It's Hollywood people! The moment you lose track of that fact, you are bound to be disappointed.

Do you think ER docs are bitching and moaning about the portrayal of their profession on Grey's Anatomy, House, or ER? There are countless cop shows that depict law enforcement trampling Constitutional rights at every turn...not to mention the ubiquitous car chases and public shoot outs in populated areas. Are cops fussing and bent out of shape about this? Perhaps some are, but I think most of them understand that television is television, and real life is real life.

Someone mentioned that this show could trick the public into believing a lie. Hey, all we can do is our jobs the best we can. As long as we continue to serve the public selflessly and with dignity, public perception won't be an issue. Just relax and enjoy the show.
    Ask your public what they know about sprinklers. I'm willing to bet they will tell you they all activate at once due to smoke and/or pulling a pull station. Know why? "They saw it on TV/in the movies".

If you have paid any attention to the ongoing discussions/arguments about mandating sprinklers in new construction....you know this has already happened.

"public perception won't be an issue." - Get real.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Ask your public what they know about sprinklers. I'm willing to bet they will tell you they all activate at once due to smoke and/or pulling a pull station. Know why? "They saw it on TV/in the movies".

If you have paid any attention to the ongoing discussions/arguments about mandating sprinklers in new construction....you know this has already happened.

Home run post by the gentleman from Jersey.

Doctors and cops SHOULD be mad when TV shows portray their professions in a dumb and unrealistic way. I'll never forget stupid David Caruso stopping CSI:Miami "cop" colleagues from doing CPR on a victim when he couldn't find a carotid pulse.
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 11-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

And that's part of the reason that it's tough to convience folks that sprinklers are effective and generally do not cause excessive water damage.

Is it shows like this that can make out lives more difficult.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And that's part of the reason that it's tough to convience folks that sprinklers are effective and generally do not cause excessive water damage.

Is it shows like this that can make out lives more difficult.
    Yep. "I don't want no spranklers. If'n my see-gar gits too smoky, everthang in mah house will git wet!"
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the show. I like talking **** about it the same way we do backdraft. The issues that most firefighter or EMS personnel see in this show probably go unnoticed by most of the public. The people here look at us as heroes. I cannot speak for other cities but the TV show Chicago Fire has done nothing to hurt "the job" here, our politicians do enough damage. I believe that shows like this keep the fire service relevant, because we all know that nobody thinks about the fire department until they need us.

God bless and stay low friends!
    Happy New Year
    Jerry Stewart
    Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
    Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
    Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com
    (313) 732 7377
    Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post
    I like the show. I like talking **** about it the same way we do backdraft. The issues that most firefighter or EMS personnel see in this show probably go unnoticed by most of the public. The people here look at us as heroes. I cannot speak for other cities but the TV show Chicago Fire has done nothing to hurt "the job" here, our politicians do enough damage. I believe that shows like this keep the fire service relevant, because we all know that nobody thinks about the fire department until they need us.

Happy New Year
    Heck, I'd wouldn't think you'd ever have time to watch TV in Detriot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by detroitfire1552 View Post

Happy New Year
    On the money, detroitfire.

Thread Information