Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Medic gives fire victim blanket-charges pending

Forum Member

This is what I got back from the "Chief"

First and foremost no, no, and no, the unfortunate issue here is a media story in which a question was asked and answered, as it was told to the reporter no one has been or was going to be disciplined for a blanket. I can not and will not discuss employee issues with the media but the reporter was told exactly that, this report was grossely slanted and not a reflection of the question the reporter asked, we have given away approximately 600+ blankets, as well as bandages, free cpr first aid training, etc. we are aware that opinions have already been formed but as the reporter who the did the story was told it had nothing to do with a blanket, or equipment at all, thanks for your interest on this issue
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

dfwfirefighter, IronValor & all others,

He's been put in a position now where he will deny that he was going to take the medic down on charges. I have no doubt that after getting many letters and yes, probably more than a few blankets (thanks to all) and so much media coverage, he back tracked. This is nothing new for the F.D.'s administration, they do it all the time. My simple opinion on this is they suffer from foot in the mouth disease and a slight cranial dysfunction on a pretty common basis.

For all those that backed the medic, thank you. The members of the department appreciate the backing from the brothers and sisters of the fire service.
    ATFDFF likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    This is what I got back from the "Chief"

First and foremost no, no, and no, the unfortunate issue here is a media story in which a question was asked and answered, as it was told to the reporter no one has been or was going to be disciplined for a blanket. I can not and will not discuss employee issues with the media but the reporter was told exactly that, this report was grossely slanted and not a reflection of the question the reporter asked, we have given away approximately 600+ blankets, as well as bandages, free cpr first aid training, etc. we are aware that opinions have already been formed but as the reporter who the did the story was told it had nothing to do with a blanket, or equipment at all, thanks for your interest on this issue
    Not exactly what I would consider a professional reply.
    slackjawedyokel and rm1524 like this.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Even after getting so much national attention about the medic story, the city tried to back track but really didn't. Well the crap gets a little deeper. Time for the hip boots to be brought out. As I stated earlier, they would attempt to take this in a different direction and apparently they are, even after the so called chiefs denial. This is no surprise to me at all because I know how these individuals work. Here's an update on the story. Please feel free to keep those letters and blankets coming and maybe these so called leaders will understand that this type of BS is just a vendetta.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...ly-false-story
    Last edited by FireCapt1951retired; 10-16-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireCapt1951retired View Post
    dfwfirefighter, IronValor & all others,

He's been put in a position now where he will deny that he was going to take the medic down on charges. I have no doubt that after getting many letters and yes, probably more than a few blankets (thanks to all) and so much media coverage, he back tracked. This is nothing new for the F.D.'s administration, they do it all the time. My simple opinion on this is they suffer from foot in the mouth disease and a slight cranial dysfunction on a pretty common basis.

For all those that backed the medic, thank you. The members of the department appreciate the backing from the brothers and sisters of the fire service.
    Slight cranial dysfunction? It is more like a severe case of rectocranial inversion syndrome.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't want to be "that guy" who goes against the grain here- but we're talking about the same city administration that is launching a pay as you go ride along initiative for tourists... It's not hard to imagine that however this thing spilled out into the public, and whatever discipline was dolled out, or is supposed to be dolled out, it was a product of their direction.

In reading over that response... I think he met you in the middle considering each and every word you put on that page is based entirely on the media's representation of this story. Of COURSE the story down to its core stinks- but there's an equally high probability that everything in the story with the possible exception of the page number are either wrong, exagerated or imagined.

I'm not sure what gives everyone the sudden right to sit back and pontificate about the integrity of an organization when our only exposure to it for a great majority of it is media interpretation.

EDIT: I LOVE this quote in your sig, BTW...

"I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go"
    Last edited by Eno305; 10-17-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Truckie

I'm not sure what gives everyone the sudden right to sit back and pontificate about the integrity of an organization when our only exposure to it for a great majority of it is media interpretation.
    A few important points:
    1) Any pontificating is, and always has been directed towards the organizations administration, not the organization itself.

2) Have you read/followed any the numerous stories in the media and on the web of layoffs, uninhabitable stations, defective equipment, or a 60 million dollar headquarters building?

3) Have you read some of the posts here, from individuals that have an insiders knowledge, that collaborate said administrations asinine antics?

Where is the sudden right to sit back come into play?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eno305 View Post
    ...is based entirely on the media's representation of this story.
    I don't doubt for one second that there is FAR more to this story than what is being presented in the media. This includes the Firefighter/Paramedic in question, the Detroit Fire Department's Administration, and the reporter - Charlie LeDuff. It is very likely that this incident was the "straw that broke the camel's back" and, well... we've all read the result.

A few points to ponder:

1) Three of the sides to this story are identified above. The fourth side, the public's perception, is the most influential aspect of this entire incident.

2) When you mix all of the perspectives of this story together, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

3) Believe it or not, the media tends to put their own spin on the news. I enjoy watching LeDuff's stories but I assure you that he, like every reporter, has an agenda and that is, most likely, advancement of his career.

4) No matter how "sound" your organization's rules/regulations/procedures and etc. are, any aspect of your day-to-day operations can be "spun" in the media and used against you. It's all about perception. In this case, the paramedic said he is in trouble for giving someone a blanket at a fire scene. The Fire Department says the paramedic did not account for the missing blanket after the incident and the oncoming shift determined it was missing during a routine readiness inspection. If all that were true, who is at fault? More importantly, how did this incident escalate to the level it has?

5) Everyone in an organization, from the tailboard firefighter all the way up to the Fire Chief's Office at City Hall, must conduct themselves as if someone was filming every action (or inaction) he or she takes. They likely are.

6) Regardless of gets their side of the story out first, everyone must know how to handle damage control. I don't mean telling a lie or offering a half-truth as a means of pacifying something. What I do mean is having sound rules and practices in motion every day in every aspect of your organization. More importantly, your people, i.e. the "worker bees", have to be "on board" with the organization's plan for handling business day in and day out. If they aren't, you'll get a front seat for the debacle this story has stirred on both a national and international level.

But hey... what do I know? I'm just a dumb ole' fireman.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Name:  DFD Charges.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  13.8 KB

...and there it is.

Wow!
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Truckie

Tough to spin that into a positive....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

I dont think even candy crowley can cover for that.
    ?

Forum Member

Blankets, blankets and more blankets.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...er-fox-2-story

Forum Member

I think LeDuff is one of the few news reporters I actually like.

Thread Information