Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Question about having military degrees when applying for jobs

Hello all, thanks in advance for reading.

I am active duty Air Force, and there is a degree plan available to me that will get me an associate's in Fire Science. My concern is that it is through the Community College of the Air Force and I'm not sure if that school has any value outside of the military. Does anyone have any knowledge about how much worth this degree will have when I begin applying for work after I separate from active duty?

Forum Member

First off, thank you for your service. And you should be aware that other than actually being a firefighter somewhere else there is nothing that is more impressive in getting a fire job than military service. Not only do you get "Military Points" with most departments, but a chief will know that you are aware of "chain of command", how to take an order, how to work comfortably in a para-military organization, we are taking less of a chance hiring someone with military service than a civilian.

I am sure someone at the school you are talking about could answer your question. It may depend on what state you are going to apply in after you service is done. There is a great fire academy in Texas that you can complete most of the work online and then do a few weeks of hands on to become certified and it isnít honored in California.

I have helped a number of people gain employment that had military training that didnít transfer over to civilian jobs. A lot of them had been battle medics. Their scope was greater than those in civilian life but it didnít qualify them to apply for a medic job. But what it did do was allow some of them to challenge the classes and become certified quickly and, even if they did have to re-take the course they had no problem because of the level of knowledge.

But coming from the military you have a lot to offer an employer. You have worked in stressful situations, you know how to work away from friends and family for long periods, Most have been given training in ethnic diversity and working with other cultures, most have a government security clearance. Even if you were not deployed in a field of battle, you can tell stories and relate things in an interview that most others could only dream of.

I hope this helps out, and good luck to you in you pursuit of dreams. It sounds like you are doing all of the right stuff.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Forum Member

Thank you for the lengthy reply Capt Rob. I am fortunate because my job in the military is firefighting, so I already have Firefighter I and II, EMT-B, ARFF, Driver/Operator, and HazMat Tech(all IFSAC certs.)

In regards to asking the school about the program, the information I get from them is... iffy. Everyone at the education office raves over getting this degree, but it all seems very one-sided and almost too good to be true, which I suspect is because it is sponsored by the military. I have worries that maybe this Air force degree isn't very useful as a civilian. I am just hoping to get an outsider's perspective on the situation. Thanks again Capt Rob, I really appreciate your insight on the subject.

Forum Member

Any training/ classes are good and look good

I did 4 yrs ff and did not pursue any education to young and dumb plus only did four years, and 77-81 range

But some of the fire academy hours transferred to jr college when I went

That is what you need to find out is will a recognized college accept the hours.

At the four year level they may not accept some of the fire, but if you have any general they should accept them

Also the state I am ff certified in took the ff academy in place of theirs, so only had to do written and practical test, sweet

Forum Member

Fortunately for me all of my certs are transferable in the state of Texas(which is my home of record.) I am willing to travel for a job though. This is why I am thankful for the IFSAC certs.

Fire49, why did you have to take a written and practical test? Did the certs not transfer in your state? Also I bet you are kicking yourself now for not taking advantage of the educational opportunities

Forum Member

I am certified in Texas

They require you go through an approved academy or will look at out of state academy or other fire training such as AF.

No matter what academy you go through you still have to take the state test and the state practicum

Having to much fun for school, plus the short time I was in

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jps2777 View Post
    Hello all, thanks in advance for reading.

I am active duty Air Force, and there is a degree plan available to me that will get me an associate's in Fire Science. My concern is that it is through the Community College of the Air Force and I'm not sure if that school has any value outside of the military. Does anyone have any knowledge about how much worth this degree will have when I begin applying for work after I separate from active duty?

I have that degree, I completed it before I got out of the AF. The CCAF is a regionally accredited school... Meaning, most colleges will accept a lot of the credits, but usually not all for a Bachelors degree (unless you use a school that is listed on Air University).. depending on the school, of course.

Are you currently an AF firefighter? If so, then a lot of the "core" credits for your associates are being handled through the certs you will have or will acquire while in. Also, if you log into the Virtual education center through the Air Force Portal, you will be able to see which school will accept all 60, or 65 credits from the CCAF AAS fire Science degree towards a bachelors by checking the Air University. they prob have 50 degrees to chose from by now.. If you are confused or what not, check with the Education center on your base or PM me/Post here...

Good luck!

the degree is worth as much as anyone else with a AAS from another school, and you WILL receive whatever points they are a giving to people with AAS degrees for the recruitment. If they do not award you points, you can look up CCAF and print out the accreditation information and turn that in with your packet..
    Last edited by USAFfiredog; 10-12-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Thread Information