+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Miller337
  • 1 Post By slackjawedyokel

Thread: Need info for Research

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need info for Research

Fellow Fire Service Professionals:

I am in the process of writing a research paper regarding the effects Natural Gas production and hydraulic fracturing, more commonly known as"fracking," has on firefighting in supporting communities. Scientific research thus far has focused on the effects of the natural water supply and its effects on humans. I propose to research the adverse effects "fracking" has on the fire service in those effected areas.

If your department is within 50 miles of a natural gas production facility which used the hydraulic fracturing drilling method, or you have any other comments/information regarding this subject, please email me at the address below. I will respond with a questionaire for you or your department representative to fill out.

My email is: frackingfireresearch@gmail.com

I appreciate any and all help regarding this subject, and look forward to hearing from you either in this thread or via email.

Michael K

Try LaFire he personally deals with more natural gas than anyone else here.
    53fireman likes this.

Forum Member

Will shoot you an email
    But are you looking at cost to a department or response to drill sites? Or what

MembersZone Subscriber

A combination of that. Scientists have shown areas where methane has escaped into water supplies in the surrounding area. I want to know what effect this has on fire suppression based on whether the department uses static ground sources or if they use a municipal water system. I am also interested in if having these drilling sites nearby effects call volume in any way. What hazards are assocaited with response to the sites? What equipment and training is necessary to respond to an emergency there? Etc...

Forum Member

Interesting

You sure are not asking for much

Are you a firefighter ???

You might contact Arlington Tx fd dir directly to get them a survey, they have done a few twists on gas well sites

Forum Member

Dont think this will fit your "agenda" - We had a large wildfire during a drought. Rural water supply ran dry. The drilling/fracking company ,not only trucked in thousands of galons of water, but also set up a large (10,000 gallons ?) tank for us. And to my knowledge none of the water caught fire.
    Picc.93Truck likes this.
    ?

So which Attorneys group are you with there MDK1127?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    So which Attorneys group are you with there MDK1127?
    that is what i was wondering or some other angle

MembersZone Subscriber

Not an attorneys group. Its an independent project, something I wanted to research when I found out that my state, North Carolina, was considering lifting a ban on natural gas production. I am, however, working under the purview of my employer, Forensic Fire Consultants, Inc. I intend to publish my findings and interviews/questionairres and share them with whoever wants them.

Thanks everyone so far for the input, keep it coming!

Mike K

Forum Member

Sounds good

Forum Member

Sorry about the questions, get some strange questions on this site

Good luck, you might also contact Fort Worth and Dfw airport fire direct

I assume that you are talking about Marcellus formation drilling. They have been fracking wells up here for many, many years. This has been done on shallow wells 7,500 ft or less. Marcellus drilling, here at least, is what any of the controversy is about. It has had basically 0 impact in my county. We have had classes presented by the gas companies (show up and do what the supervisor says on site), but there have not been any calls nor any felt impact. We are not in the heart of the operation though and only have 4 wells in the county. As far as methane in a static water supply; would it not escape to the atmosphere as it is an open body?

We have over 200 oil and gas (shallow wells) in our coverage and other than tank fires (shut the heater off and put out the boil over) we have had only one call from a piece of casing falling on a rig hand.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    I assume that you are talking about Marcellus formation drilling. They have been fracking wells up here for many, many years. This has been done on shallow wells 7,500 ft or less. Marcellus drilling, here at least, is what any of the controversy is about. It has had basically 0 impact in my county. We have had classes presented by the gas companies (show up and do what the supervisor says on site), but there have not been any calls nor any felt impact. We are not in the heart of the operation though and only have 4 wells in the county. As far as methane in a static water supply; would it not escape to the atmosphere as it is an open body?

We have over 200 oil and gas (shallow wells) in our coverage and other than tank fires (shut the heater off and put out the boil over) we have had only one call from a piece of casing falling on a rig hand.
    I think his question pertains more to the municipal water supply if the municipality gets its supply from a water well. Static supplies should have virtually 0 natural gas dissolved in them but the municipal piped water could have dissolved Natural gas. Interesting question. I dont have any fracking operations in my area yet. There has been considerable discussion at the state and local levels about it though.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    none of the water caught fire.
    LOL!! I was thinking something similar. Odorless gas with a crappy flammable range. Now if there was only Methyl Acetylene down there...

Forum Member

Look at the top video bottom left side

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/02/fracking/index.html

Forum Member

We have experienced no issues with the water supply as a result of fracking operations.

To the best of my knowledge, the same is true in the parishes to our south where fracking has been even more intensive.

As far as call volume the areas that have fracking operations have experienced increased call volume, primarily from battery tanks that have been struck by lighting. Other fires and even haz-mat incidents have been rare at these facilities. We have had to perform a couple of drilling/rig related technical rescue operations as well, which is typical for the other fire districts as well.

Overall, the positives involved with the increased income far outweigh the increased run volume and increased training needs.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 10-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    And to my knowledge none of the water caught fire.
    Good thing you weren't drafting from here...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information