Forum Member

Default Working fires in large, high rise or large occupancy building SOP/SOG

Hello,

I'm wanting to see some SOP/SOG's from other departments on large, high rise or large occupancy buildings with a confirmed working fire. Mainly pertaining to additional alarms. Can anyone give me some info please?

Forum Member

Our SOPs for high rises or other high occupancy buildings doesn't dictate mandatory alarms, the first in officer and chief officers determine that based on manpower needs. That being said, fires in these buildings will very often go to multiple alarms. Our SOPs mainly dictate necessary steps for first in companies and especially the chief officers to ensure things are set up early, so if the incident does grow we're ready.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tsheeder View Post
    Mainly pertaining to additional alarms. Can anyone give me some info please?
    Ummmmmmm, no offense but it's not rocket science. If you need help, call for it! Do you have box cards set up or some other kind of pre-arranged system set up in your dispatch center's CAD; all you have to do is say "Dispatch give me the second alarm for this assignment" or "Dispatch give me the next 2 engines for this assignment" and no one has to think about it- I/C can go on being the I/C and the dispatcher sends you the next alarm or the next requested companies as per your card that you arranged- everyone wins.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I'm fully aware that its not rocket science. Obviously if you need more help just ask. Let me rephrase the question then. If your dispatch receives a call for a fire in one of the buildings I mentioned with either multiple calls, smoke and flame detector activation, or multiple trips according to the alarm company. Does your dispatch assign an automatic additional alarm with the original assignment?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tsheeder View Post
    I'm fully aware that its not rocket science. Obviously if you need more help just ask. Let me rephrase the question then. If your dispatch receives a call for a fire in one of the buildings I mentioned with either multiple calls, smoke and flame detector activation, or multiple trips according to the alarm company. Does your dispatch assign an automatic additional alarm with the original assignment?
    Ok thats different. No. A full first-alarm assignment based on the target hazard (high rise) is assigned, which is assigned if there is one call reporting smoke in the building or 20 calls reporting smoke in the building- four engines, two trucks, a hevy rescue and an ALS ambulance. if they get there and there is fire blowing, the first-in officer will call for a second or whatever he feels he will need.

Now, if there is an alarm system activation (one engine only) but multiple zones start coming in, the dispatcher can and will transmit a first alarm assignment.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Now, if there is an alarm system activation (one engine only) but multiple zones start coming in, the dispatcher can and will transmit a first alarm assignment.
    That's interesting. Our dispatch center can upgrade from an alarm activation to a full first alarm based on a caller reporting visible smoke/fire. Never thought about multiple zones being automatically reported.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

From our books, this is only for commercial buildings, residentials are a bit different and can be found under the same home page. Also note that there have been changes and variations, but its close enough to what you aee asking for.

http://www.sageauthoring.com/fdny/construction/hr01.pdf
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information