Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Instructors

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Instructors

How many here are instructors for the tech college, state training academy or some other agency OTHER than being a training officer for your FD.

I am a part-time fire service instructor for the local tech college. This is my 32 year teaching there part-time. Previous to getting a full time fire service job I did teach full time for another tech college district for 2 years.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I am an adj instructor at the state fire academy. It used to mean something, but the state has watered the standards down.
    ?

Forum Member

State Adjunct Instructor here as well. Both live fire and non-live fire classes.

I have done some teaching with the local tech college's basic firefighter program in the past few years.

I also work part time for a private company handling technical rescue, hazmat, fire brigade and other areas of study for local industries and private companies.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

im a field staff instructor with the Iowa Fire Serivce Training Bureau for the last two years and also with the local community college here in eastern iowa
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member

I have had the pleasure of instructing classes (part-time) at our Community College in Fire Prevention, Firefighter I Academy, Law Enforcement Firearms, CPR and Haz-mat since 1980.
    everyonegoeshome.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    State Adjunct Instructor here as well. Both live fire and non-live fire classes.

I have done some teaching with the local tech college's basic firefighter program in the past few years.

I also work part time for a private company handling technical rescue, hazmat, fire brigade and other areas of study for local industries and private companies.
    Could you please explain the live fire and non-live fire designation? We don't have that here in Wisconsin.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I teach Entry Level Firefighter up to FF2 certification, driver/operator, company officer, several different Fire Academy outreach courses, auto extrication, live fire training in the burn tower and in acquired structures, natural as fires, as well as special topics fire departments request.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Could you please explain the live fire and non-live fire designation? We don't have that here in Wisconsin.
    I will try and explain our process the best I can.

Georgia is a Pro Board state. Once you gain NPQ Fire Instructor I you can technically instruct anything you hold certification in. In your own department this works fine. However, to teach for the state you must shadow other instructors and be checked off to teach which ever class you wish to instruct.

For live fire classes, you must first have obtained NPQ Fire Instructor I, been in the fire service for the required amount of time and also attend a separate 24 hour Structural Fire Control Instructor course. Once you complete this course you can assist with or conduct your own live fire training at your own department. Just like non-fire instructing though, you must shadow/intern with the state fire academy, complete a task book and be checked off before being utilized (and paid) as a state adjunct instructor helping with state sponsored classes.

Pressurized Container (LP) fire control classes are the same way. Once both of the above processes have been completed you do it all over again to be able to teach LP fire control classes. Once the process is done you can teach and be paid as an adjunct by GEMA (different budget source than the previous mentioned positions).

To be considered a fully capable (they can basically call you for anything they need help with) state fire academy adjunct the process is quite extensive. However the opposite is true for the guys just wanting to instruct at home. There is basically no state mandated checkoff or continuing education requirement past initial certification.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Georgia is a Pro Board state. Once you gain NPQ Fire Instructor I you can technically instruct anything you hold certification in. In your own department this works fine. However, to teach for the state you must shadow other instructors and be checked off to teach which ever class you wish to instruct.

For live fire classes, you must first have obtained NPQ Fire Instructor I, been in the fire service for the required amount of time and also attend a separate 24 hour Structural Fire Control Instructor course. Once you complete this course you can assist with or conduct your own live fire training at your own department. Just like non-fire instructing though, you must shadow/intern with the state fire academy, complete a task book and be checked off before being utilized (and paid) as a state adjunct instructor helping with state sponsored classes.

Pressurized Container (LP) fire control classes are the same way. Once both of the above processes have been completed you do it all over again to be able to teach LP fire control classes. Once the process is done you can teach and be paid as an adjunct by GEMA (different budget source than the previous mentioned positions).

To be considered a fully capable (they can basically call you for anything they need help with) state fire academy adjunct the process is quite extensive. However the opposite is true for the guys just wanting to instruct at home. There is basically no state mandated checkoff or continuing education requirement past initial certification.
    The way I read this, a that a person that is NPQ Fire Instructor I can hold a class at their home department, and this will be a state certified class? Is that correct? It kinda seems like a double standard. If I go to the state academy or take a class in house that I get certified in, shouldn't my instructor have the same qualifications and requirements? Hey, at least there is some accountability though.

Forum Member

Current National Fire Academy Contract Instructor.

Was a specilaist instructor for Juvenile Firesetting and Public education in my previous state. Currently working on getting on board with a similiar gig with LSU-FETI. I don't have the time or desire to get on as an all-class adjunct and travel on my weekday evenings.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

For me instructing is a double positive. I enjoy the heck out of doing it AND it adds to my pension!

The other thing is if you are an instructor teaching out in different departments and you don't walk away from that class having learned at least one thing from that department I don't think you are paying attention. There are always little quirks in the way things are done, the way equipment is utilized, and my favorite, places that build their own equipment when they can't afford what they want or it doesn't exist. I taught in a department one time many years ago that made their own hose washer. Their chief was an engineer and he designed and built a hose washer that used common scrub brushes that were easily and rapidly changed. To me THAT is the genius of the fire service and part of what makes being an instructor so cool.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 10-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    RangerJake72 likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY3244MI View Post
    The way I read this, a that a person that is NPQ Fire Instructor I can hold a class at their home department, and this will be a state certified class? Is that correct? It kinda seems like a double standard. If I go to the state academy or take a class in house that I get certified in, shouldn't my instructor have the same qualifications and requirements? Hey, at least there is some accountability though.
    For non-live fire classes you are correct. All an instructor has to do is send in paperwork with rosters, written tests, etc. for personnel at their own departments (or departments they teach on behalf of) to receieve credit.

For live fire, it all goes back to the AHJ thing. When you teach on behalf of the academy they want to make sure you are on your A game. When you teach at home the host department holds that responsibility. There are plenty of guys around the state who "teach" at their home departments but would quickly be more suited as students in a fire academy sponsored class.

For this very reason departments all over the state will send personnel to Forsyth to burn instead of smaller local burns. There is better control over the quality of training. However, if XYZ Fire Department hosts a fire academy approved burn, the same instructors who would be assisting on site in Forsyth would be instructing that burn.

Also, to receieve the certificate for Structural Fire Control, you must attend a state sponsored class. The irony here is that SFC is nothing more than an 8 hour, all hands on burn. It is essentially the same burn you would do for Firefighter I practicals.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

State Level II instructor (although currently inactive). Couple local academies that are sub-sites of the County academy. We don't have State run ones, just county run ones.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Interesting. Not how it is done here though.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Adjunct at the local community college. I'm lucky enough to work there with a lot of the guys I work with and we have a blast.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Former Chief Instructor for my department, Virginia Department of Fire Programs (VDFP)/NFPA Fire Instructor IV, Adjunct Instructor's for VDFP, Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM), Program developer for VDFP, Instructor Evaluator for VDFP. Now retired.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Let's talk fire trucks!

Adjunct Instructor for the Virginia Department of Programs. I travel near and far teaching Rural Water Supply, Basic Pump Operations, Driver/Pump Operator, EVOC, and of course Firefighter I & II. I also serve as a test site administrator.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

In addition to Fire Service instruction; I instruct the Canadian Firearms Safety program; RCMP defensive tactics; SETCAN stress innoculation and scenario controller/evaluator/actor, shock knife.
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

I have been an Adjunct Instructor for the Georgia Public Safety Training agency since 1993, my areas of instruction have been in the live fire courses of structural, LP, flammable liquids and I came up under the tutelage of David Herndon, Dean King and Chris Cagle.

Good ole days for sure and I would not trade a second for the memories and the great experience all of them afforded me.

Now I am on the list for the NIMS 100 - 800 series of courses along with being a field instructor for the Center For Domestic Preparedness @ Ft. Mclellan in Anniston Ala. teaching their WMD curriculum.

Very nice to network with so many other trainers on this board.

Regards
    TecRsq

Forum Member

how many hours can an adjunct instructor rack up in one yr?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    how many hours can an adjunct instructor rack up in one yr?
    Gotta ask why someone with a signature like want2be a ff would ask?
    ?

Forum Member

Curious as to how a lot of FF's are able to work as an adjunct instructor while also working 56 hrs a wk...

Forum Member

Most of what I teach is on a weekend class (usually a 16 hour class) - if I am teaching in the evenings, I usually skip a couple of nights - (teach Monday-Tuesday-skip Wed -etc) I try and be flexible such as working with departments that prefer not to "work" on Sundays by subsuiting week nights or doubling up on Saturdays
    ?

Forum Member

Cool- thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Most of what I teach is on a weekend class (usually a 16 hour class) - if I am teaching in the evenings, I usually skip a couple of nights - (teach Monday-Tuesday-skip Wed -etc) I try and be flexible such as working with departments that prefer not to "work" on Sundays by subsuiting week nights or doubling up on Saturdays

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    Curious as to how a lot of FF's are able to work as an adjunct instructor while also working 56 hrs a wk...
    I teach around my FD schedule as much as possible or I make trades to teach If I am unable to make arrangements to be there I will get a substitute or reschedule class.

Most often it is not a problem.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information