Default Adults? Seniors?

Allot of departments have reached children and majority of the programs and public contact surround children.

But if you are not reaching adults who control fire prevention in the home, then you are spinning your wheels.

Any good adult & sr. citizen porgrams out there?

Forum Member

Agreed.

Problem here is that we are a primarily rural community with very few outlets to deliver messages. We have a thrice-weekly paper in the neighboring city but they seem to forget that we exist and run very little of waht we submit, using "lack of space" as a reason.

We attempt to deliver programs through the churches to seniors via montly senior lunches, with some success. We also occasionally will deliver a program through a homeowner's assocaition meeting.

One of the most successful ways is the use of roadside signs, currently at 2 of our 6 stations. I just receieved a Prevention Grant for the remaining 4. Unfortunatly, we cannot get the landowner who owns the roadside propertty in front of one of our stations to give us permission for the sign at that station, so right now I'll be adding signs at 3 more of our stations, for 5 stations out of 6.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

check NFA they have a few classes on community risk

but just identify a few problems in your areas, and then go meet with the adults in their seetings, community centers, churches, etc, and talk about how to cut down on the problems you are seeing.

Forum Member

check some of the nfa publications for ideas, and the pubs are free!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/older/

https://apps.usfa.fema.gov/publications/bysubject.cfm

Default Talking is best

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    check NFA they have a few classes on community risk

but just identify a few problems in your areas, and then go meet with the adults in their seetings, community centers, churches, etc, and talk about how to cut down on the problems you are seeing.
    Agreed. Adults don't really do well with officials presentations - it you can even drawn an audience. Some of the best public education is sitting across a picnic table having a discussion during a public event.

Forum Member

We partner with the senior activity center. Also one aspect that will get their attention, is to remind them that they may have grand/great children staying over and they are at risk also.
    ?

Abolutley! Quickest way to make corrections in an adults behavior is through their children. Hey if you can't convince them then guilt them

Forum Member

Hope I’m not high jacking here. I’m looking into running a large scale FP program targeted for seniors. Hiring a person and putting him/her on the road. With the needed support of course. Wondering if any of you gotten funding for such a program? Besides a government body. Maybe from Insurance industry, a charity foundation or other. Any ideas or info would be great.

Forum Member

As in private company doing this???

Truckie

Adults....lets see how this would work in my district:
    May or may not be a sanctuary city;
    Large transient population:
    large population of ESL, first and 2nd generation immigrants. Many from very oppressed and dictatorial style government countries.
    The last thing any of these adults want to see is some individual in an official looking uniform working for a government entity.
    Not being in prevention, I can only guess that maybe the biggest bang for the buck would be to teach and educate the children. Done right, there is a far greater chance of that being brought home and put into play. It may even open a door for us.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Working with a Volunteer association covering a large geographic area with many departments. We already receive some Gov funding for FP in schools. Looking to expand the program.

Forum Member

A caring attitude for someone with a particular needs is very human and genuine. Most likely, aging adults with high support needs, are treated special and correct procedures. You can simply find aged care training and advice here at safety-tv.com/aged-care.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaysoncalwell View Post
    A caring attitude for someone with a particular needs is very human and genuine. Most likely, aging adults with high support needs, are treated special and correct procedures. You can simply find aged care training and advice here at safety-tv.com/aged-care.
    We feel the same way about you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaysoncalwell View Post
    I, also, am very human and genuine.

Spam reported.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information