Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Fire

Forum Member

Default First Fire

Hi all, this is my first post, been a member for a while. I am a firefighter in Texas for two different departments now. Firefighting is a family tradition, I have been on for almost a year. Make plenty of calls. Mostly for legit reasons. For some reason in about 10 months I haven't made a good structure fire. Not one. To all experienced guys, when will I get my first fire and is this a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD-AK View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post, been a member for a while. I am a firefighter in Texas for two different departments now. Firefighting is a family tradition, I have been on for almost a year. Make plenty of calls. Mostly for legit reasons. For some reason in about 10 months I haven't made a good structure fire. Not one. To all experienced guys, when will I get my first fire and is this a bad thing?
    No you're normal by FF standards. Good firefighters are not what the general public think of as normal. Good firefighters tend to be fixers and want to fight fire, they wouldn't ever wish a fire on anyone but they'll miss the last bus to heaven to get the chance to put one out.
    As to when you will catch a fire call. How the H@LL would we know, just remember to breath,stay with your crew and try not to fall down alot please.

Forum Member

As your time goes on, as an active member of a fire department, you will get more fires under your belt.

In the meantime, keep training, keep physically fit, etc. so you will be able to respond safely and professionally.

When I started firefighting in the mid-1980's, I could not wait for a fire call. It was excitement. Now I hope nothing happens.

Forum Member

I have been a member of a fire dept in some form from 1989 to present day. Wether it be volly for the first 9 years and career since, it has been pure excitement. And I STILL wanna go out the door.

Rarely does a day goes by when I dont read an article, training supplement or watch a video related to this profession. Only thing that matters is that when you get your first fire, LEARN something. Youre gonna make mistakes as is evident from the countless videos on youtube. Just be able to recognize the mistake and make every attempt to NEVER make that mistake again.

This job is constantly evolving. Strategies and tactics have changed and will continue to change. One thing I was taught early on is learn the different types of building construction and how they affect fire behavior. Never stop learning. Nobody knows everything. You can learn something from everyone. And there will always be somebody who is better than you.

Thread Information