Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Helmet Upgrade: Cairn 1044 Opinions

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default Helmet Upgrade: Cairn 1044 Opinions

    Okay, so as a Junior, you have the option to take the given helmet, like the Metro 660, or purchase your own out rate. Now, I wasnt sure if the Cairns 1044 with a leather shield would be good for a junior. For me personally, I would purchase the one with the
    Defender Built-Shield. I would do this because I have glasses, and this would be easier, and more convient, along with the TuffShield is discolored and big. I already decided that if I were to get the 1044, it would be the deluxe version,not standard, and also just to Clarify, the helmet is NFPA 1971, 2013 Edition. Also, if you have owned a 1044 before, could you say if you liked it, how long you have had it, and how it did in training, and real calls. Thanks!

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Take the one they give you and pay more attention in English class.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    180

    Default

    how old are you and how much time do you have as a junior?

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2

    Default

    IIRC, Guy in the academy with me had a 1044 with the defender eye shield, but they wouldnt fit over his glasses so he had to take them off anytime we did ladder work (required to use eye pro when raising/lowering the fly section), then he faced the problem of not seeing...

    Also, I wouldnt spend any money on a helmet until your a full firefighter, dont want to put the cart before the horse for the sake of looking cool.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    I went with the 1044 Defender Black at a local Fire Store. Best helmet I have seen. Also learned a few facts while I was there. The N5A lost its NFPA Rating, and with the N6A. The Defender goggles are really nice, ill just start wearing my contacts. Some of the guys that seen my photo really enjoys it. Im just waiting for my Shield, and then can't wait til training night! Name:  564892_454122371296926_621187983_n.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  30.6 KB

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    I went with the 1044 Defender Black at a local Fire Store. Best helmet I have seen. Also learned a few facts while I was there. The N5A lost its NFPA Rating, and with the N6A. The Defender goggles are really nice, ill just start wearing my contacts. Some of the guys that seen my photo really enjoys it. Im just waiting for my Shield, and then can't wait til training night! Attachment 22453
    KEWL -dude ----
    ?

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Thanks slack

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,043

    Default

    Sigh...yet another Junior interested in having cool toys when his only concern should be learning the job...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    I went with the 1044 Defender Black at a local Fire Store. Best helmet I have seen. Also learned a few facts while I was there. The N5A lost its NFPA Rating, and with the N6A. The Defender goggles are really nice, ill just start wearing my contacts. Some of the guys that seen my photo really enjoys it. Im just waiting for my Shield, and then can't wait til training night! Attachment 22453

    Send it to me kid and I'll get it broke in for you and it will look crusty!
    FireInTheShire likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Send it to me kid and I'll get it broke in for you and it will look crusty!
    Dont listen to him junior --- sneak over to your neighbors trash burn barrel, get you a long stick and go to town.
    FireInTheShire likes this.
    ?

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Sigh...yet another Junior interested in having cool toys when his only concern should be learning the job...
    Don't mean I can't have nice toys, and still do the job correctly, safely,and successfully.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Dont listen to him junior --- sneak over to your neighbors trash burn barrel, get you a long stick and go to town.
    Yeah, i'll start to become an arsonist. It's not "Backdraft" in 2012.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Send it to me kid and I'll get it broke in for you and it will look crusty!
    Well, at least it would see fire while it's young. In about 4 years, it hopefully see's fire, helmets last 10 years +.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    Don't mean I can't have nice toys, and still do the job correctly, safely,and successfully.
    No, it means you care more about looking cool when your nose should be in the books and your hands on the tools learning the job. I guess I just wasn't as cool as you I used my issued helmet until I was on the FD for over 4 years.
    FireInTheShire likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    No, it means you care more about looking cool when your nose should be in the books and your hands on the tools learning the job. I guess I just wasn't as cool as you I used my issued helmet until I was on the FD for over 4 years.
    You can do both at te same time. And, for your information, I own 2 books, by Barrons. So, Ai stdy outside of the departent.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    You can do both at te same time. And, for your information, I own 2 books, by Barrons. So, Ai stdy outside of the departent.
    WOW!! 2 whole books on firefighting?

    Maybe you should spend some time learning to spell too...

    Good luck.
    ATFDFF, FireInTheShire and rm1524 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Dont listen to him junior --- sneak over to your neighbors trash burn barrel, get you a long stick and go to town.
    Doesn't anybody use a BBQ pit anymore?
    IAFF

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    Well, at least it would see fire while it's young. In about 4 years, it hopefully see's fire, helmets last 10 years +.
    Trying to decipher this, I came up with you saying it won't see fire for 4 years? Meaning you won't be old enough to test for another 4 years? If so, buying a "fancy" helmet is the last thing you should be worried about.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Doesn't anybody use a BBQ pit anymore?
    You really want that "salty" look you have to find someone burning trash, espically disposable diapers.
    ?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    WOW!! 2 whole books on firefighting?

    Maybe you should spend some time learning to spell too...

    Good luck.
    Well, if you can tell me how to turn off Auto-Spell/Type on an Apple device, then I will spell correctly. I know how to spell, I dont have GED like some of you.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Trying to decipher this, I came up with you saying it won't see fire for 4 years? Meaning you won't be old enough to test for another 4 years? If so, buying a "fancy" helmet is the last thing you should be worried about.
    Maybe thats why your ignorant, your from Georgia.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    Well, if you can tell me how to turn off Auto-Spell/Type on an Apple device, then I will spell correctly. I know how to spell, I dont have GED like some of you.
    Blaming an electronic device for your inability to spell in a failed attempt to insult me, shows what a snot nosed ignorant little puke you truly are.

    Please take your new helmet, go into your bedroom, shut off the lights and fantsize of a day when you actually can apply for a fire department job. Because until then you are nothing more than a wise ***** little wannabe.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 10-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    FireInTheShire likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    Maybe thats why your ignorant, your from Georgia.
    Maybe you need to spend a little more time on your high school English lessons. Let me correct your abysmal attempt at an insult.

    Your original post:

    Maybe thats why your ignorant, your from Georgia.
    This is how it should actually read. I put the corrections in red so you can find them.

    Maybe that's why you're ignorant, you're from Georgia.

    You see, it is really funny to watch people try to insult people about being ignorant when they can't spell or punctuate properly.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 10-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quit being such an *********!

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,043

    Default

    Surely, as soon as you stop acting like a spoiled brat little wannabe.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Will a helmet front / shield from a 1044 fit a N6A?
    By Lono in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 11:25 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 09:41 AM
  3. Msa Cairns 1044 Defender Helmet
    By ems18909 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 12:05 AM
  4. Anyone using the new Cairns 1044
    By benson11 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 01:00 PM
  5. Cairns 1044 Reviews???
    By backsteprescue123 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2005, 12:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register