Forum Member

Question Nobody else has any opinions? What would you do?

If you had 2 job offers, 2 academies around the same time, you fought for your 1st choice which was offered to you 1st by an appeals process, and you had a huge increase in pay differences...what would you do? Would you go where the money is or stay where your at?

In today's economy, are you telling me that people wouldn't go where the money is? We are a struggling society & I myself am tired of struggling so hard to make ends meet. We live paycheck to paycheck, & only by the Grace of God, has God allowed us to get by. I know & have talked to so many people that would go where the money is...

The 1 year difference in annual starting pay recruit is plus $10K. After Academy, the difference in pay is plus $13K.

As a 1 year Firefighter, the annual difference is plus $17K.

As a 2 year FF, the annual difference is plus $21K. And the pay scales differ dramatically if he was to move up in positions, which I know he would, as it is a bigger Fire Dept., bigger city, and he would have better opportunities available to him.

Also, he does have his EMT-B. And yes, he has a guaranteed slot in this out of state Academy. He was officially offered the job at both locations. He has his set start date & pay rate & has completed all his requirements.

And yes there is of course an increase in Cost of Living, but in 2 years difference with $21K plus, that increase in Cost of living wouldn't hurt us. It would only help us.

Forum Member

You said on the other post 6000 difference

You need to look at cost of living, quality of life, family support

Also he may not make it through the other academy !!!

Also how long is the other probation period?? Which most places can drop you with out cause

Just both of you set down and decide!!

Forum Member

Yes I did say that & I said I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. Then in this former post, I explained the full details in amounts of pay differences. We have looked at COL & are taking into consideration the other people's views...that's part of why I'm here.

Quality of life, standard of living, will be increased dramatically, & we will have full family support. And the out of state is not far, within driving distance, so family could visit whenever & vice versa.

We also know its a risk. The probation period is a year at both locations.

Also, there is no guarantee even here that he will make this Academy that he's currently in. There is a possibility that if he doesn't make it, & then he didn't ever take the other offer, then he misses out on that opportunity as well, so its a 2 way street either way.

Forum Member

Also my husband wouldn't give them 1 good reason to get rid of him. We know that places can drop you without cause, but my husband & I both fight for what we believe in.

We already appealed 1 incompetent man's decision (the 1st psychologist that failed him), so should a situation like that rise again, we will fight it. Guaranteed!!!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Seriously, YOU 2 have to make the decision. It is that simple.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe2012 View Post
    In today's economy, are you telling me that people wouldn't go where the money is?
    Yes, I have made exactly that decision. I passed on opportunities to make far more money (like a 50% increase with better benefits), but I make enough to have a decent life style, and I know I enjoy my job far more here than at another department.

Don't get me wrong money is a consideration, but far down my list. Opportunity, liking the people you work with, actually being able to do the job you were hired to do. You know wanting to go to work stuff, if it is all about the money then you would probably be better off in another line of work.

Way to many variables to get into as a detached third party. Where would he prefer to work, if equal then the money is a factor, if there is a clear preference then the money is either a bonus or a cost of staying where he feels more comfortable.

Forum Member

stay where you are most happy. Money is just money, its not important unless you are happy or if you really need it.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Take the money. Seriously, I have been there. Take it.

Go where your heart is. I also had an opportunity to take another job with a $20k increase in pay and better benefits. Three of us got the offers, two took it, I stayed. Guess what?

The other two are miserable where they are at. People who are there are also there for the money and not the job which creates problems in itself; and the two that left also then increased their standard of living which outpaced their new income - common human problem living 10% over what you make. They are miserable but can't change it now. One remains for family reasons, the other is looking again.

I stayed. I struggle sometimes to pay the bills. But I love my job, where I am at, and who I work with because they are there for the same reasons I stayed. I look forward to going to work (most days). No regrets at all.

But we are not you two. Best of luck.

Thread Information