Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transplants?

Default Transplants?

Anyone out here have an organ transplant or know of anyone that works in fire or EMS that has one? Kind of just want to pick your brain on a few things. I know its kind of a personal question feel free to PM if that makes you more confront able. This isn't for any kind of paper its for personal interest.

Just kind of wondering what kind of issues you have faced getting on the job.
    Paid or Volunteer?
    Anyone start treating you different or once they found out?
    Or do you keep it out of the firehouse and only in the medical office?

I have read a couple of stories of firefighters with heart transplants on the job. One that was on the job and came back to full duty and one that joined after receiving his.

I have also met one living kidney donor that is transplant. I didn't have a chance to pick his brain at the time.

Also to the guys on the outside do you have any thoughts about working with transplants pros cons? Fears?
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Check out NFPA 1582, that is the standard on firefighter physicals. Some places use that for their pre-hiring physicals some don't. I didn't find transplants mentioned specifically, but I didn't look that hard.

I'd probably be iffy on someone with something like a heart transplant. We have guys come back after heart attacks and I basically think "you're heart took a beating, and you want to keep beating it up every day at work." But if the guy can perform, he can perform. Just one of those instances where the person is pressing their luck. But look at some of the fatties we have on the job, guess I can't really judge a transplant if he is in shape.

I know the NFPA 1582 Standards they just were up dated too.

Just wondering what peoples personal thoughts are on the matter. Or if there are any working out there I am sure there are.
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

In vollie service there is something you can always do but I wouldn't hide the fact that you had a transplant. That's just me, it is up to you.

In an interview, after giving you a job description, they have the right to ask if there are any physical conditions that would prevent you from performing all of those duties. Also, correct me if I am wrong career guys, I believe you will go through a physical if you are hired. If that doctor determines everything is alright then I guess you would be fine.

Asking about a transplant is pretty generic and can cover a wide range from corneas or ligaments and tendons to heart, lungs, liver, and other major organs.

This is just me again, but if I was given a major organ and hence given a second lease on life why would you risk that gift on one of the most dangerous and strenuous jobs there is?

It is honorable that you what to pursue firefighting after what you have been through but again is it worth the risk?

But, if you can perform, I wouldn't have an issue working with you.

May we ask what kind of transplant you had?

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    In vollie service there is something you can always do but I wouldn't hide the fact that you had a transplant. That's just me, it is up to you.

In an interview, after giving you a job description, they have the right to ask if there are any physical conditions that would prevent you from performing all of those duties. Also, correct me if I am wrong career guys, I believe you will go through a physical if you are hired. If that doctor determines everything is alright then I guess you would be fine.

Asking about a transplant is pretty generic and can cover a wide range from corneas or ligaments and tendons to heart, lungs, liver, and other major organs.

This is just me again, but if I was given a major organ and hence given a second lease on life why would you risk that gift on one of the most dangerous and strenuous jobs there is?

It is honorable that you what to pursue firefighting after what you have been through but again is it worth the risk?

But, if you can perform, I wouldn't have an issue working with you.

May we ask what kind of transplant you had?
    As you have guess I have had a transplant. Due to this being a public forum I wish not post details.

I have never hidden being a transplant. I don't normally go out and openly tell people either. Actually there are people I know that forget I am a transplant.

Your right it is kind of a generic question but I fear if I ask for certain kind of transplants the likely hood of finding any is low. Just purely because this is such a limited area.

As for the second lease on life and going into the fire service. Risk is relative. You can stay inside and play it safe for your whole life or go out and live it. Going after a quote on quote safer job doesn't mean I am going to live any longer or have a better life.

And I love every minute on the engine and the truck when I get to be on it.
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

OK I understand.

If you are comfortable with it go for it. If you get hired all they can say is sorry if their policies or whatever don't permit your kind of transplant.

BTW, your right and I like the positive attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    OK I understand.

If you are comfortable with it go for it. If you get hired all they can say is sorry if their policies or whatever don't permit your kind of transplant.

BTW, your right and I like the positive attitude.
    Yea, I have been a volunteer firefighter for 3 years.

I posted this with your quote incase any transplant happens to search and find this thread in the future. You bring up a point I feel like pointing out to every transplant.

Big thing to remember is any policy or standard is still required to follow the law. They must be able to prove there is a presented risk not just an assumed one. No matter what the standard says.
    RIP Hela

Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Personally if you can do the job, then your ok in my book. If your ok with the risks and the doctor says your ok to go who am I to say you shouldn't. I like your philosophy on all of it, very good attitude. Even with limitations the volunteer service is more flexible because there is always other jobs that need to be done other then interior firefighter. A town near me I know of has a firefighter that is in a wheel chair and still performs functions such as filling SCBA bottles off the cascade. I can see it being more of an issue in a paid dept. where everyone is expected to perform to a certain level.

Thread Information