Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Our first new Engine in 22 years!

  1. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Marble Rock, Iowa
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Thanks for the compliments guys! We're still fine tuning where stuff is stored and what exactly we want to carry on it. We've never had so much compartment space on one truck so we just don't know what to do with it all!

    We have done some testing with drafting with our gate valves and it appears that the effect that they have on our flow rate is minimal, right at 50GPM per the gauges, we'll definitely be pulling them off at pump test time!


  2. #22
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    I will take some pictures of how our engine like that one is set up.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  3. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valley of Death, CA
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Congrats on the new engine. I'm still amazed that governments are throwing way milliions of dollars on prisons in Iraq that can't house prisoners and dozens if not hundreds of small fire departments can't get grants to replace 20,30 sometimes 40 year old apparatus.

  4. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber bendone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    I'm over here Now!
    Posts
    51

    Default Pump Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys! We're still fine tuning where stuff is stored and what exactly we want to carry on it. We've never had so much compartment space on one truck so we just don't know what to do with it all!

    We have done some testing with drafting with our gate valves and it appears that the effect that they have on our flow rate is minimal, right at 50GPM per the gauges, we'll definitely be pulling them off at pump test time!
    Why would you test the pump differently than you use it day to day? It should pass the test the way you use it. Otherwise is it really passing the test?
    Work hard Play harder!

  5. #25
    MembersZone Subscriber npfd801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    Why would you test the pump differently than you use it day to day? It should pass the test the way you use it. Otherwise is it really passing the test?
    The annual test is to prove the pump can still function as rated from delivery. Usually weeds out major issues or imminent failures by doing a "stress" test on the rig. Having said that, the vast majority of us will rarely if ever use our rig's pumps to full capacity on a regular basis. And if we did, we certainly wouldn't be using front intakes, for one example, on a daily basis if that was our intent. If the gate valves allow the department to achieve an easier transition from tank water to draft without losing water in the attack line, the 100 gpm loss in flow is (likely) in their opinion a fair trade.

    Just my assumption...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

  6. #26
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Marble Rock, Iowa
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    The annual test is to prove the pump can still function as rated from delivery. Usually weeds out major issues or imminent failures by doing a "stress" test on the rig. Having said that, the vast majority of us will rarely if ever use our rig's pumps to full capacity on a regular basis. And if we did, we certainly wouldn't be using front intakes, for one example, on a daily basis if that was our intent. If the gate valves allow the department to achieve an easier transition from tank water to draft without losing water in the attack line, the 100 gpm loss in flow is (likely) in their opinion a fair trade.

    Just my assumption...
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If we worked strictly off of hydrants then we probably wouldn't use gate valves, but since probably 75% of our water supply comes from drafting we consider them necessary.

  7. #27
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    No different than taking the LDH ball valve intakes off to pump test.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  8. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    Why would you test the pump differently than you use it day to day? It should pass the test the way you use it. Otherwise is it really passing the test?
    A gate valve is so you can switch back to tank water if your static source (usually a drop tank) runs dry. I doubt even the best tanker shuttles can dump enough water to max a 1000 plus GPM engine
    ?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. VCFD Engine 36 & Brush Engine 336 (pics)
    By seagrave7 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2008, 07:35 PM
  2. New Years Eve/New Years Day Calls
    By firecadetak in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 02:00 PM
  3. I'm 13, and i have 5 years to go...
    By jrfireemt in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 12:58 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-13-2006, 12:20 AM
  5. 72 years old with 43 years of Service--Firefighter Retires
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-19-2002, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts