Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Our first new Engine in 22 years!

Forum Member

Thanks for the compliments guys! We're still fine tuning where stuff is stored and what exactly we want to carry on it. We've never had so much compartment space on one truck so we just don't know what to do with it all!

We have done some testing with drafting with our gate valves and it appears that the effect that they have on our flow rate is minimal, right at 50GPM per the gauges, we'll definitely be pulling them off at pump test time!

I will take some pictures of how our engine like that one is set up.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Congrats on the new engine. I'm still amazed that governments are throwing way milliions of dollars on prisons in Iraq that can't house prisoners and dozens if not hundreds of small fire departments can't get grants to replace 20,30 sometimes 40 year old apparatus.

Default Pump Testing

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys! We're still fine tuning where stuff is stored and what exactly we want to carry on it. We've never had so much compartment space on one truck so we just don't know what to do with it all!

We have done some testing with drafting with our gate valves and it appears that the effect that they have on our flow rate is minimal, right at 50GPM per the gauges, we'll definitely be pulling them off at pump test time!
    Why would you test the pump differently than you use it day to day? It should pass the test the way you use it. Otherwise is it really passing the test?
    Work hard Play harder!

Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    Why would you test the pump differently than you use it day to day? It should pass the test the way you use it. Otherwise is it really passing the test?
    The annual test is to prove the pump can still function as rated from delivery. Usually weeds out major issues or imminent failures by doing a "stress" test on the rig. Having said that, the vast majority of us will rarely if ever use our rig's pumps to full capacity on a regular basis. And if we did, we certainly wouldn't be using front intakes, for one example, on a daily basis if that was our intent. If the gate valves allow the department to achieve an easier transition from tank water to draft without losing water in the attack line, the 100 gpm loss in flow is (likely) in their opinion a fair trade.

Just my assumption...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    The annual test is to prove the pump can still function as rated from delivery. Usually weeds out major issues or imminent failures by doing a "stress" test on the rig. Having said that, the vast majority of us will rarely if ever use our rig's pumps to full capacity on a regular basis. And if we did, we certainly wouldn't be using front intakes, for one example, on a daily basis if that was our intent. If the gate valves allow the department to achieve an easier transition from tank water to draft without losing water in the attack line, the 100 gpm loss in flow is (likely) in their opinion a fair trade.

Just my assumption...
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If we worked strictly off of hydrants then we probably wouldn't use gate valves, but since probably 75% of our water supply comes from drafting we consider them necessary.

No different than taking the LDH ball valve intakes off to pump test.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    A gate valve is so you can switch back to tank water if your static source (usually a drop tank) runs dry. I doubt even the best tanker shuttles can dump enough water to max a 1000 plus GPM engine
    ?

Thread Information