Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Our first new Engine in 22 years!

Forum Member

Default Our first new Engine in 22 years!

Just thought I'd share a few pictures of our new engine. It is an E-ONE Tradition Pumper on an International 4400 Chassis. It has a 1250 pump and a 1280 gallon tank with a 10" quick dump. It doesn't have much for bells and whistles, but we don't need them. This truck is something we've needed for quite some time, it replaces a 32 year old 500gpm pumper that is really showing its age, and it will take over for our 1991 750gpm pumper as our first due Engine . We picked it up on Monday and should have it in service in a couple weeks after we can get everyone trained, it is our first truck with a diesel engine, automatic transmission, air brakes, and a pump that drives direct from the transmission so we want to take the time to learn it well. I'll try to get some more pictures when we get it fully equipped and in service.

Name:  MRFD New Engine 1.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  MRFD New Engine 2.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  MRFD New Engine 3.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  MRFD New Engine 4.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  20.8 KB

Name:  MRFD New Engine 5.jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  19.1 KB
    WBFD25 and ATFDFF like this.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Congrats on the new rig, I'll sure it will serve you all well!

That's a heck of a rear compartment for a rig with 1000+ gallons on board.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Very nice! Once you get a little time on it,it will all come together. Nice clean layout.

Forum Member

Thanks guys, spent several hours working with it tonight and it is a fantastic piece of equipment. It is so much easier to operate than our other two engines.

That's a heck of a rear compartment for a rig with 1000+ gallons on board.
    It's huge! I'm pretty sure that this truck has more compartment space than our other two engines combined! I snapped a couple of quick pictures of the rear compartment, nothing really special but its the first truck we've had with the traverse compartment and I like it!

Name:  IMG-20121025-00074.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  IMG-20121025-00075.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  22.8 KB

Forum Member

I like the room in the rear compartment also, and it is a great feeling when your department waited over 22 years to get a new rig. " Good LUCK & Stay Safe "

Forum Member

Congrats on the new rig. We have two like it, one crew cab and one two door. Ours are Freightliners. For most small departments out there engines like this do the job just fine.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Congrats on the new truck, but I can't help but think that it's sad that a fire dept. has to use equipment so old when the government wastes so much on silly stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Congrats on the new truck, but I can't help but think that it's sad that a fire dept. has to use equipment so old when the government wastes so much on silly stuff.

Thank you. I completely agree with you, we have applied for AFG every year but one since it started and we have never been awarded so we had to work really hard with our BOD to figure out how they could afford it.

If you think the 32 year old Engine is sad, we just replaced the 44 year old chassis on our tanker, and we still use 42 and 38 year old brush trucks. They are obviously on our list to get replaced but when there is no money what do you do? We're very fortunate that we have several FF's that are mechanics by trade and the rest of us are pretty mechanically inclined so we can keep stuff running well, but sometimes old is old and it needs to be replaced.

Forum Member

Congrats on your new unit, I hope it serves your community faithfully for many years.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Got a lot of pump training in this weekend and this truck is very easy to operate compared to what we're used to. Also got some equipment mounted and decided where some other things will go. Radio guy will be here early in the week to get the radio mounted and the last bit of equipment needed should be here early in the week as well and it will be in service.

Some of the equipment mounted.
    Name:  IMG-20121028-00076.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  IMG-20121028-00077.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  35.2 KB

Forum Member

Interesting gate setup on the steamer connection. I am assuming that is to prepare to draft while still keeping a pump prime, and not for taking in LDH?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Interesting gate setup on the steamer connection. I am assuming that is to prepare to draft while still keeping a pump prime, and not for taking in LDH?
    Yes, we use them for drafting. We wanted to gate the intake inside the panel and be able to operate them from the pump panel, but this was the more economical way to go. We do run our LDH through them as well since there are valves on both intakes.

Forum Member

You may not be able to draft as well with the valve as you would without the valve. When apparatus is tested, there isn't a valve install; suction goes straight to the suction nipple. Try it both ways and see which is the best for you guys.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You may not be able to draft as well with the valve as you would without the valve. When apparatus is tested, there isn't a valve install; suction goes straight to the suction nipple. Try it both ways and see which is the best for you guys.
    Cap, the reason for using a valve is so you can start with tank water and get the drafting operation set-up and then switch over by opening the valve and pulling the primer. Other wise you have to shut down to switch over.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Cap, the reason for using a valve is so you can start with tank water and get the drafting operation set-up and then switch over by opening the valve and pulling the primer. Other wise you have to shut down to switch over.

I realized that, but valve like this are noted for losing a prime but you can draft through it, but for pump certification it should be removed.

Place a cap on it, close the tank valve and do a vacuum test and see it its leaks down.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Well it's in service, has yet to make a run, but it's ready to go.

Had a lot of folks stop by and look at it on Halloween and the community seemed quite pleased with what their donations and tax dollars were able to put in the station, it's a great feeling to know that you have community support. There were quite a few older retired FF's that stopped by to look as well and they were pretty amazed at some of the advances in Fire apparatus since they were involved in firefighting.

Just for comparison purposes. Here is the rig that is being replaced:
    Name:  IMG-20121031-00078.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  IMG-20121031-00079.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  36.9 KB

And this truck will now be our second due engine:
    Name:  IMG-20121031-00080.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  37.7 KB
    Name:  IMG-20121031-00081.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  35.6 KB

Needless to say, this is a huge upgrade for us!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I have seen "buterflies" restrict well over 100 GPMs.
    ?

Forum Member

Im not saying they are bad , just pull em off on pump test day.
    ?

Forum Member

Forums like this and magazines like Fire Apparatus Journal are great, but sure do spoil us. Rigs like this are still the backbone of the American fire service. Congrats on the new rig!

Forum Member

It's a good looking fire engine. Who needs the bells and whistles, to me the trucks built to work look far better than those spec'd with parades in mind. Really impressed by that rear compartment, especially with the 1000+ tank.

Forum Member

Thanks for the compliments guys! We're still fine tuning where stuff is stored and what exactly we want to carry on it. We've never had so much compartment space on one truck so we just don't know what to do with it all!

We have done some testing with drafting with our gate valves and it appears that the effect that they have on our flow rate is minimal, right at 50GPM per the gauges, we'll definitely be pulling them off at pump test time!

Forum Member

I will take some pictures of how our engine like that one is set up.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Congrats on the new engine. I'm still amazed that governments are throwing way milliions of dollars on prisons in Iraq that can't house prisoners and dozens if not hundreds of small fire departments can't get grants to replace 20,30 sometimes 40 year old apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pump Testing

Quote Originally Posted by FF715MRFD View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys! We're still fine tuning where stuff is stored and what exactly we want to carry on it. We've never had so much compartment space on one truck so we just don't know what to do with it all!

We have done some testing with drafting with our gate valves and it appears that the effect that they have on our flow rate is minimal, right at 50GPM per the gauges, we'll definitely be pulling them off at pump test time!
    Why would you test the pump differently than you use it day to day? It should pass the test the way you use it. Otherwise is it really passing the test?
    Work hard Play harder!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    Why would you test the pump differently than you use it day to day? It should pass the test the way you use it. Otherwise is it really passing the test?
    The annual test is to prove the pump can still function as rated from delivery. Usually weeds out major issues or imminent failures by doing a "stress" test on the rig. Having said that, the vast majority of us will rarely if ever use our rig's pumps to full capacity on a regular basis. And if we did, we certainly wouldn't be using front intakes, for one example, on a daily basis if that was our intent. If the gate valves allow the department to achieve an easier transition from tank water to draft without losing water in the attack line, the 100 gpm loss in flow is (likely) in their opinion a fair trade.

Just my assumption...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Thread Information